Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:14 am disappointed colt seavers wasn't used in the colt category
I'm more disappointed that Colt Ford wasn't. :lol:
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Should have gotten FJ as I am very familiar with the term, but instead I could not get "manifestation" out of my head. And really, except for the whole derived-from-Sanskrit thing, it is not too bad.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mungar wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:40 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:30 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:14 am I suspect that contestant Alex is a ham radio operator, because her unusual bet of 1312, which host Alex even called unusual, left her with $88 after missing the extremely easy answer of Buenos Aires. 8 8 is the ham radio code for love and kisses, and especially affectionate way of signing off.

Error in clue: American Pharoah [sic] winning the Triple Crown in 2015 ended a 36 year drought, not a 37-year one. The drought did not begin in 1978 when Affirmed won the Triple Crown. It began the next year when the horse didn't.
so you are going on the assumption that she chose that number of 1312 in the event she gets it wrong so she could have 88? seems like she would have to be thinking negatively...why not think 2712 had some meaning for her? and why ham radio if she did intend for 88 to be significant? maybe she is a mario lemieux fan or dale earnhardt jr fan
Lemieux was 66. Maybe she was an Eric Lindros fan though :lol:
you are right...i got the redneck number right, but missed the roughneck number
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:39 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:14 am disappointed colt seavers wasn't used in the colt category
what is that? i know colt mccoy and colt brennan...never heard of colt ford
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

let me get this straight...you know some obscure country rapper dude, but aren't familiar with prince and michael jackson songs?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:54 am
wtf is that? i know colt mccoy and colt brennan...never heard of colt ford
Country-rap artist. I met him at CMA Music Festival in 2010 when he was just starting out, and he seemed like a really cool dude. Just like any other country singer, I can totally understand if he's not your thing.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:44 am Should have gotten FJ as I am very familiar with the term, but instead I could not get "manifestation" out of my head. And really, except for the whole derived-from-Sanskrit thing, it is not too bad.
"Sanskrit" primed me for Hinduism, and I know that manifestations of gods are called avatars in Hinduism. (Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu, for example.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:02 pm
heppm01 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:44 am Should have gotten FJ as I am very familiar with the term, but instead I could not get "manifestation" out of my head. And really, except for the whole derived-from-Sanskrit thing, it is not too bad.
"Sanskrit" primed me for Hinduism, and I know that manifestations of gods are called avatars in Hinduism. (Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu, for example.)
I knew that the term was somehow associated with Hinduism, and I would have been unable to explain exactly what it meant in religious terms, but the general association was enough for me to solve the question with a high degree of confidence.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

All I could think of for FJ was “incarnation”, but it didn’t seem quite Sanskrit-derived (which it isn’t, after looking it up later - Middle English derived from Latin). But definition-wise, it’s an exact match 8-)
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm All I could think of for FJ was “incarnation”, but it didn’t seem quite Sanskrit-derived (which it isn’t, after looking it up later - Middle English derived from Latin). But definition-wise, it’s an exact match 8-)
Eh, "incarnation" means roughly "made flesh" not "descent." (The "carn" root has to do with flesh.)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Groundhog, Grating, (Buenos Aires), Homelessness, Colt 45, X-Ray, Files, Jack Dempsey, Rhea, En Passant, Moonlight, The Cider House Rules, Uday and Qusay Hussein, Hippopotamus, Biodiversity, George Eliot, Sturgeon, Pike, Pollock, Cod
Douglas Squasoni
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:30 pm
cthulhu wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:17 pm All I could think of for FJ was “incarnation”, but it didn’t seem quite Sanskrit-derived (which it isn’t, after looking it up later - Middle English derived from Latin). But definition-wise, it’s an exact match 8-)
Eh, "incarnation" means roughly "made flesh" not "descent." (The "carn" root has to do with flesh.)
Well, let’s look at Merriam-Webster:
“Definition of avatar. 1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (such as Vishnu).” (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/avatar)
“Definition of incarnation. 1a(1) : the embodiment of a deity or spirit in some earthly form.” (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incarnation)

Methinks you’re being a bit too pedantic.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:29 pm
“Definition of avatar. 1 : the incarnation of a Hindu deity (such as Vishnu).” (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/avatar)
“Definition of incarnation. 1a(1) : the embodiment of a deity or spirit in some earthly form.” (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incarnation)

If you changed "Sanskrit" to "Latin" in the clue, you'd also have to change "descent" to make incarnation work. It's not dictionary definitions tiwonge's talking about; it's root meanings.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Where in this definition of incarnation does it mean descend (which was, remember, part of the clue)? Historically, theologically, etymologically, and even metaphorically, it means for a non-corporeal being to become flesh (or to become physical, if you want to stretch it a bit more). The Incarnation is god-made-flesh. There's nothing about it descending.

Even if an avatar can be used to describe an incarnation, that doesn't mean that incarnation can be used in place of avatar. (I'm not positive that the Hindu gods like Vishnu are non-corporeal, so I'm not positive that their avatars can rightly be described as incarnations. However, I'm not an expert on Hinduism, so I don't know.)

I'm not saying it's not a bad guess. Alex even initially guessed it. I just don't think it's an exact match for the definition.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

It was obvious to me what they wanted, but the definition of X-ray was inaccurate. It's an attack where a less valuable piece is attacked "through" a more valuable one, so it becomes attacked if the more valuable piece moves. Neither piece is necessarily forced to move.

(The relative value of pieces is important. If a less valuable piece is shielding a more valuable one, then it's a pin, not an X-ray.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,200
50 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: groundhog, grating, Buenos Aires (DD), homelessness, Colt 45, files, Jack Dempsey, en passant, The Cider House Rules, Uday & Qusay Hussein, hippopotamus, biodiversity, George Eliot, pike, cod

It was par for the course in what was a rough game all around, but it surprises me how badly this season's contestants are struggling with FJ!. Through 54 games of regular play, there have only been three triple gets.

"Name the Dutch asteroid belt guy" ought not be a $2000 DD. Unless I'm on. And find that DD. Then it's fine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 pm It was obvious to me what they wanted, but the definition of X-ray was inaccurate. It's an attack where a less valuable piece is attacked "through" a more valuable one, so it becomes attacked if the more valuable piece moves. Neither piece is necessarily forced to move.

(The relative value of pieces is important. If a less valuable piece is shielding a more valuable one, then it's a pin, not an X-ray.)
*nod*

I was only sure of what they wanted because of the non-chess part of the clue. It was definitely worded poorly.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

It is very unfortunate that anyone expected Alex to apologize for having ended up with $88. She should have felt no need to do so. Just because some racists might have co-opted that number does not mean Jeopardy should ban it or any number that leads to it. And, it is unfortunate that Andy Saunders chooses to advise against odd wagers based on that. It is very important to remember that with co-champions disallowed, odd wagers have a special value.

We all deal with that number in some form quite often. Should I get upset anytime I see that number on my pay stub, grocery bill, etc?
And that number or any other can obviously have special value of endless reasons.

Really, it is letting the racists win if we let them co-opt symbols we all use for benign reasons.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mjhunt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 pm It is very unfortunate that anyone expected Alex to apologize for having ended up with $88. She should have felt no need to do so. Just because some racists might have co-opted that number does not mean Jeopardy should ban it or any number that leads to it. And, it is unfortunate that Andy Saunders chooses to advise against odd wagers based on that. It is very important to remember that with co-champions disallowed, odd wagers have a special value.

We all deal with that number in some form quite often. Should I get upset anytime I see that number on my pay stub, grocery bill, etc?
And that number or any other can obviously have special value of endless reasons.

Really, it is letting the racists win if we let them co-opt symbols we all use for benign reasons.
didn't even realise 88 had any kind of racist meaning
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mjhunt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 pm It is very unfortunate that anyone expected Alex to apologize for having ended up with $88. She should have felt no need to do so. Just because some racists might have co-opted that number does not mean Jeopardy should ban it or any number that leads to it. And, it is unfortunate that Andy Saunders chooses to advise against odd wagers based on that. It is very important to remember that with co-champions disallowed, odd wagers have a special value.

I declare 1 to be the new "where's the damn like button" number