Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:43 pm

Was I the only one who heard "Sidney Lauper"?

Whiffed on FJ!.

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 794
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by clprez » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:43 pm
Was I the only one who heard "Sidney Lauper"?

Whiffed on FJ!.
I heard that too, and then I thought she was going to restate it correctly but Alex accepted it before she had to.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:40 pm
They rammed the ramparts, they battled the battlements, they cased the casements
But it wasn't until they started towing the towers that I got really annoyed.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am

Looks like "thorough" for "through" was a vanishingly rare J! typo in the albatross clue (DJ, Ends in "SS" $1600) from Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
"At length did cross" this bird, "thorough the fog it came"
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm
0/5 in Women of Science. I saw no way to figure out "engineering" in the first box.
I believe the clue included "the E in STEM", which stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics.

For FJ I picked up on the castle hints but couldn't connect those to the Count, so I rooted among Dickens title characters and picked David Copperfield.
John Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:18 pm
alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm
I've heard of balsamic viniagrette dressing, but never knew there was actually a balsamic vinegar.
I've grown used to a lot with TPH, but that one had me laughing out loud. Fortunately not waking Mrs. alietr in the process.
I had no clue Belgian endive came from Belgium. Or German shepherds from Germany. Who knew?????
I've heard of Belgian endive, but never knew there was actually a place called Belgia.
Back in the pool

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 am

Coryat: 38,800
46 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Ellison, Vince McMahon, fortress, de-Gauss, Edward Kennedy, kung fu, Henry the Navigator, (Western) Australia, Cuomo

I knew that "battlements" was hinting at a castle, and I almost got to Dracula in time, but I wasn't quite there. I did notice that Alex was trying particularly hard to not add an accent as he was reading the clue. I wish I had pondered that a bit more. With Dracula or Robbie Burns, Alex is a bit like Michael Scott trying not to say "that's what she said."

I was really surprised by Gabrielle's wager on DD3. Throughout the game, it seemed as though she was the most dialed in to the context clues in the category names and whatnot. With one clue to go, and needing $550 just to get to half of Alex's score, there was only one acceptable wager. Even if she didn't love the category, a) the situation demanded it, and b) the one remaining clue on the board was going to come from the same category. If she bets the farm there and wagers properly in FJ!, she wins on the TS. Coulda shoulda woulda.

Was anyone else confused by the "alliterative site" hint on the "Pikes Peak or bust" clue? I misinterpreted it as saying that the location in question should form an alliterative phrase with "or bust," so I went with Boulder. Without the hint, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it right.

I also couldn't pull the name of "the Kennedy in-law from the Rat Pack." Joey Bishop was all that came to mind, and I knew he wasn't the right one.

Though it should have been a mega-wheelhouse for me, I managed to neg once in The WWE Slammy Awards. Ashton Kutcher has been associated with WWE far more closely than has Charlie Sheen, so I went with him on the Two and a Half Men clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:00 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm
Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?
It's not that German salad contains potatoes as a rule; German potato salad contains potatoes, but they couldn't call it by its full English name in the clue. So they called it by its full German name, which contains Kartoffel, the German word for "potato."
That doesn't seem like an entry-level German word to me.

But then again, I managed to be fluent in Spanish for about ten years without ever learning the word for "both" since I just never had to use it somehow.
It's not. You didn't need to know any German words to get this one. The clue boiled down to "what salad also comes in a German variety?" ("Boiled"? SWIDT?)
Sprinkles are for winners.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 am

reddpen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
Looks like "thorough" for "through" was a vanishingly rare J! typo in the albatross clue (DJ, Ends in "SS" $1600) from Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
"At length did cross" this bird, "thorough the fog it came"
That's a direct quote from the poem. English ain't what she were.

edit: in fact, "through" would break the iambic tetrameter of the poem.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4551
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:18 am

reddpen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
Looks like "thorough" for "through" was a vanishingly rare J! typo in the albatross clue (DJ, Ends in "SS" $1600) from Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
"At length did cross" this bird, "thorough the fog it came"

If you google the phrase you'll find that it was Coleridge, not Jeopardy!, that made the typo. (Though I have it on good authority Coleridge was an excellent typist, so perhaps it was simply a departure from modern usage.)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4551
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:19 am

Oh come on, even at 4:18 AM I get sniped by seaborgium! Get these west coast whippersnappers off my lawn.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2451
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:23 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 am
Coryat: 38,800
46 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Ellison, Vince McMahon, fortress, de-Gauss, Edward Kennedy, kung fu, Henry the Navigator, (Western) Australia, Cuomo

I knew that "battlements" was hinting at a castle, and I almost got to Dracula in time, but I wasn't quite there. I did notice that Alex was trying particularly hard to not add an accent as he was reading the clue. I wish I had pondered that a bit more. With Dracula or Robbie Burns, Alex is a bit like Michael Scott trying not to say "that's what she said."

I was really surprised by Gabrielle's wager on DD3. Throughout the game, it seemed as though she was the most dialed in to the context clues in the category names and whatnot. With one clue to go, and needing $550 just to get to half of Alex's score, there was only one acceptable wager. Even if she didn't love the category, a) the situation demanded it, and b) the one remaining clue on the board was going to come from the same category. If she bets the farm there and wagers properly in FJ!, she wins on the TS. Coulda shoulda woulda.

Was anyone else confused by the "alliterative site" hint on the "Pikes Peak or bust" clue? I misinterpreted it as saying that the location in question should form an alliterative phrase with "or bust," so I went with Boulder. Without the hint, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it right.

I also couldn't pull the name of "the Kennedy in-law from the Rat Pack." Joey Bishop was all that came to mind, and I knew he wasn't the right one.

Though it should have been a mega-wheelhouse for me, I managed to neg once in The WWE Slammy Awards. Ashton Kutcher has been associated with WWE far more closely than has Charlie Sheen, so I went with him on the Two and a Half Men clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:00 pm
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm
Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?
It's not that German salad contains potatoes as a rule; German potato salad contains potatoes, but they couldn't call it by its full English name in the clue. So they called it by its full German name, which contains Kartoffel, the German word for "potato."
That doesn't seem like an entry-level German word to me.

But then again, I managed to be fluent in Spanish for about ten years without ever learning the word for "both" since I just never had to use it somehow.
It's not. You didn't need to know any German words to get this one. The clue boiled down to "what salad also comes in a German variety?" ("Boiled"? SWIDT?)
never heard of german potato salad before...did come up with the correct response, though as i mentioned in a post earlier in this thread got it because the german word kartoffel is similar to that in russian...so for me, that word was more important than german salad variety

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2451
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:25 am

jeff6286 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:19 am
Oh come on, even at 4:18 AM I get sniped by seaborgium! Get these west coast whippersnappers off my lawn.
dude does live in the pacific time zone

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:28 am

CasketRomance wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:25 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:19 am
Oh come on, even at 4:18 AM I get sniped by seaborgium! Get these west coast whippersnappers off my lawn.
dude does live in the pacific time zone
He's aware, which is precisely why he's calling me a west coast whippersnapper.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2451
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 am

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:28 am
CasketRomance wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:25 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:19 am
Oh come on, even at 4:18 AM I get sniped by seaborgium! Get these west coast whippersnappers off my lawn.
dude does live in the pacific time zone
He's aware, which is precisely why he's calling me a west coast whippersnapper.
didn't see the west coast part...just saw whippersnapper which suggests one must be young to be up at 1am on a saturday night, which didn't make any sense...i am on east coast, a geezer and am up at 4am

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 am

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 am
reddpen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
Looks like "thorough" for "through" was a vanishingly rare J! typo in the albatross clue (DJ, Ends in "SS" $1600) from Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
"At length did cross" this bird, "thorough the fog it came"
That's a direct quote from the poem. English ain't what she were.

edit: in fact, "through" would break the iambic tetrameter of the poem.
Trimeter. It's alternating tetrameter and trimeter, sometimes with an extra half foot at the end for a feminine rhyme. The line in question should have three iambic feet, not four. Personally, I don't think "through" would break the meter so much as provide a welcome variation. Many poets wouldn't have a problem introducing that variation. Coleridge seems to be on your side however. He varies the meter in other ways but not that one (I think) in this poem.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6376
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:50 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 am
seaborgium wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 am
reddpen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
Looks like "thorough" for "through" was a vanishingly rare J! typo in the albatross clue (DJ, Ends in "SS" $1600) from Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
"At length did cross" this bird, "thorough the fog it came"
That's a direct quote from the poem. English ain't what she were.

edit: in fact, "through" would break the iambic tetrameter of the poem.
Trimeter. It's alternating tetrameter and trimeter, sometimes with an extra half foot at the end for a feminine rhyme. The line in question should have three iambic feet, not four. Personally, I don't think "through" would break the meter so much as provide a welcome variation. Many poets wouldn't have a problem introducing that variation. Coleridge seems to be on your side however. He varies the meter in other ways but not that one (I think) in this poem.
Ha, you're totally right. Of course I looked at the start of the quote and stuck with that number. I should have looked at the whole thing and just called it heptameter.


Interestingly, Shakespeare has the line "I am informed throughly of the cause" in The Merchant of Venice. So "through" could mean "through" and vice versa at certain points in our language.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:07 pm

reddpen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
I believe the clue included "the E in STEM", which stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics.
Can anyone find an occurrence of this coming up? I searched the archive but "stem" is such a common word that I'm getting nothing but false positives.
reddpen wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am
John Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:18 pm
alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm
I've heard of balsamic viniagrette dressing, but never knew there was actually a balsamic vinegar.
I've grown used to a lot with TPH, but that one had me laughing out loud. Fortunately not waking Mrs. alietr in the process.
I had no clue Belgian endive came from Belgium. Or German shepherds from Germany. Who knew?????
I've heard of Belgian endive, but never knew there was actually a place called Belgia.
I always parsed it as "viniagrette dressing that is balsamic, whatever that means" and not "dressing made with balsamic vinegar", partially because I've never heard of "balsamic vinegar".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7832
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:08 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 am
It's not. You didn't need to know any German words to get this one. The clue boiled down to "what salad also comes in a German variety?" ("Boiled"? SWIDT?)
And I didn't know there was more than just "potato salad", either.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:15 pm

To me the real dirty trick would have been to use the category CLASSIC IRISH NOVELS. That doesn't steer me at all toward a novel that is mainly set in England and whose principal characters--excepting, of course, the count--are English. There's nothing Irish about the novel at all apart from the accident of the author's birth. I might have gotten it right anyway due to the paucity of Irish novelists. In particular the category would have steered me away from Ivanhoe. The quoted line isn't really Joycean and it seems a little "period" to be from something like Angela's Ashes. So I guess I might have been boxed in to Dracula by the lack of a plausible alternative.

Interestingly, Alex's guess of Tristram Shandy is by a different Irish-born author who also comes across as far more English than Irish.

Maybe CLASSIC NOVELS FROM THE BRITISH ISLES would satisfy everyone? CLASSIC EUROPEAN NOVELS would be accurate but perhaps another kind of dirty trick. Hunchback would definitely be an appealing guess then.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6671
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 pm
Tried to think of a novel actually set in Britain fitting the clue and couldn't really come up with anything. Even if Ireland was part of the UK at the time, calling Stoker "British" is kind of dirty pool.
Yeah, even if I thought of Dracula, Stoker's Irish. Being technically correct, and thus the best kind of correct, doesn't make that sting less.

Definitely needed a year, or at least a decade on that clue.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:29 am

Volante wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm
teapot37 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 pm
Tried to think of a novel actually set in Britain fitting the clue and couldn't really come up with anything. Even if Ireland was part of the UK at the time, calling Stoker "British" is kind of dirty pool.
Yeah, even if I thought of Dracula, Stoker's Irish. Being technically correct, and thus the best kind of correct, doesn't make that sting less.

Definitely needed a year, or at least a decade on that clue.
As it is, I would have never guessed the right book. However, give me 1897, and BAM!... Dracula.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1618
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 am

harrumph wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:34 pm
For FJ I went with Frankenstein.
Did anybody else go with this?

I think it's not a bad guess, particularly if you thought of Young Frankenstein or Bride of Frankenstein, but I think those for whom the Hammer versions are the definitive Frankenstein adaptations would have remembered Castle Frankenstein as being in very good repair, the opulent home of a wealthy nobleman.

Post Reply