Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm

DD3 seemed problematic to me with "worm" pointing toward "dragon" but "Cheops" pointing toward something more explicitly Egyptian. I thought about the correct response ("mummy") but it seemed odd to refer to a mummy as a "creature". I assume the mummy becomes animate and causes trouble, which makes it a creature. But in situ, mummies are just things. So I totally get Alex's guess of "sphinx". I considered it, as well as mummy, before going with dragon.

...

If anyone wants to make a Fourth Podium Poll for this game, I'd love to take it. This just isn't a week where I can do that. (Especially since there would be SO MANY clues to include.) There were also a couple of games last week where I would have made one of those polls if I'd had time. I'm pretty confident this one could have been won easily from the fourth podium. The only question is whether it could have been one from that position by someone who missed FJ. I'm guessing yes.
DD3 had me at a loss also; I never would have gotten to mummy in time. Cheops + "worm" got me to "nasty Egyptian worm-like creature" and left me floundering with "asp." But I couldn't imagine that being the topic of a novel.

I can't do it either, but I agree a 4th podium poll would be interesting. I didn't keep track and don't have the inclination to go back and do the research, but it just "feels" like not only would the 4th podium have been in the lead, a crush might even have been there for the taking. It was one of those games where I spent a lot of time wishing I were playing for real. Okay, there are very few times when I'm glad I'm not playing, but this one I REALLY wanted to be back on stage for.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1704
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:29 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm
I too am curious whether Mohammed would have received credit if he'd finished writing "complaints". ... My ruling would be yes.
Concur, FWIW.

And actually, I would have given it to him because "compl." is a well-known abbreviation for "complaint". (Google it.) In the past TPTB have allowed incomplete responses to count on the basis that what was written was a viable abbreviation.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm

AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm

DD3 had me at a loss also; I never would have gotten to mummy in time. Cheops + "worm" got me to "nasty Egyptian worm-like creature" and left me floundering with "asp." But I couldn't imagine that being the topic of a novel.
But I can imagine the film version: Snakes in a Pyramid.
OCSam

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7003
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm

OrangeSAM wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm

DD3 had me at a loss also; I never would have gotten to mummy in time. Cheops + "worm" got me to "nasty Egyptian worm-like creature" and left me floundering with "asp." But I couldn't imagine that being the topic of a novel.
But I can imagine the film version: Snakes in a Pyramid.
LIKE

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 pm
alietr wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:08 pm
I was NOT surprised by the reversal on "light opera". As soon as Alex gave her response, I knew she was right. I went with their expected "operetta" myself. But "light opera" was immediately obvious as a correct alternative.
Alex really needs to be more careful with his category announcements when the category name has quotes in it. It was clear they were looking for words that begin with "Op" since every correct answer in the category started with Op. If he had said "starts with" (instead of his usual "We know what that means"), that would have eliminated the ambiguity of her incorrect answer. The mistake was Alex's.
Yep. The quotation marks can mean "starts with", "contains", or even "ends with". We definitely DON'T know what it means until they tell us.
IMO, in any category that doesn't involve a simple clue/response, they should give the rule, along with a really ridiculously trivial sample, to the contestants in a pre-game briefing. I mean, I guess they'd have to remember it for up to an hour or so if it appears in DJ! and the briefing doesn't take place RIGHT before the game, but the category name should at least jog their memory as to what the briefing was about.

In this game, the briefing would just need to clarify one category - namely, SPECIAL "OP"s:

In this category, all correct responses will be a single word beginning with the letters "Op". For example:

CLUE: A surgeon performs these.
RESPONSE: What are operations?

Although, I have to admit, I think part of the "challenge" of J! can be figuring out the category. For example, "The old west" from last week, appearing in J! (Western US in the 1800s) and DJ! (generally all the clues have "west" and are about the historical past). Giving the contestants a briefing may take some of the "fun" out of the game. But if you're going to specifically disallow a response because it doesn't fit the category, you have to make the category clear.

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by thenextofken » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm

On the first DD, would they have accepted just "Rockefeller?" If they needed to BMS, would "John D" without the "Jr" have sufficed?

Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3602
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:24 pm

thenextofken wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm
On the first DD, would they have accepted just "Rockefeller?" If they needed to BMS, would "John D" without the "Jr" have sufficed?

Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
You definitely didn't need Jr. since it was in the clue...They might have BMSed on Rockefeller, though…
I pronounced Xhosa that way. It seems a reasonable approximation to me.

I would guess that the "light opera" kerfuffle was because of tunnel vision, nobody thought in advance of that alternate answer. It would be nice if somebody jumped in quicker to accept...

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6473
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm

thenextofken wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
Considering that the first sound in the word is supposed to be a click and that I don't think the writers expect that of the contestants, I can't imagine they'd neg any word that rhymed with "Rosa" and had a sound involving any selection from K, S, Z, and H at the beginning.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7003
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm

thenextofken wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?"
Yes. They were also prepared to accept "Led Zeppelin IV".

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6761
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm
thenextofken wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?" I would've gotten it for sure if it were an FJ, but pronouncing it is another matter.
Considering that the first sound in the word is supposed to be a click and that I don't think the writers expect that of the contestants, I can't imagine they'd neg any word that rhymed with "Rosa" and had a sound involving any selection from K, S, Z, and H at the beginning.
My plan was two attempts at pronunciation and then quickly go 'x-h-o-s-a'?

Has anyone spelt the response outside of times when the category dictates you spell it?...

mujason
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:08 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mujason » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Volante wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Has anyone spelt the response outside of times when the category dictates you spell it?...
I seem to recall a contestant once spelled the city of Brno.
-Jason

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6473
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 pm

mujason wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 pm
Volante wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Has anyone spelt the response outside of times when the category dictates you spell it?...
I seem to recall a contestant once spelled the city of Brno.
I got curious and found it with ease. A "B" CITY, $500. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=217

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:10 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm
OrangeSAM wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm

DD3 had me at a loss also; I never would have gotten to mummy in time. Cheops + "worm" got me to "nasty Egyptian worm-like creature" and left me floundering with "asp." But I couldn't imagine that being the topic of a novel.
But I can imagine the film version: Snakes in a Pyramid.
LIKE
Ditto with the like. I presume the film would star Ramses L. Jackson.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2929
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Wherever I May Roam
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 2, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:27 am

Coryat: 35,400
41 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (raptors), John D. Rockefeller, Jr. (DD), hitting the silk, Car Talk, (operetta), metronome, Doc Holliday, Oahu, (Greta Thunberg), Teutonic Knights, Krist Novoselic, Missy Elliott, fencing, precinct, Worst-Case Scenario

I looked it up and, sadly, it appears Emily Litella never went on a rant about the 95 Feces.
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 pm
thenextofken wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:46 pm
Would they have accepted "Zosa" for "Xhosa?"
Yes. They were also prepared to accept "Led Zeppelin IV".
See, this is the content I come to this website for. Well played, good bird.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Post Reply