Tuesday, December 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:59 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An insider described the scene :? there: “Just…loudmouths showing off, saving their gags for days, waiting to spring them”

My rank for the quality of answers:

1) Saturday Night Live
2) Party at Gatsby
3) Apollo The
4) a lot of other crap like New York Public Library, Poetry Slams, other fictional descriptions of Glam Balls and Bedlam, stuff already posted here.
99) Algonquin Round Table

I am so hoping they get rid of the fake answer/question gimmick (they won't). At least stop encrypting the puzzle with tangled syntax. What the hell is a "literary New York City" category? This is a one and done category since they used the only answer.

I did get to it after pausing to suss out the actual keyword "there" vs. the "their" in the quote. My brain said "Algonquin Circle", but my autocorrect on playback said "Algonquin Round Table", which the J! writers do love them effete elites (and nattering nabobs :)).

It must be close to time for a Stone of Scone clue.

Congrats to Alex for the 3 day run.

ETA: How ironic that my pasting of Mark's post produced the Confused emoji all by itself. I couldn't have put it better :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Coryat 24000 (33 R, 3 W)
DD 1/3
FJ :mrgreen:

The J! and DJ! rounds felt like TOC-level difficulty to me. 33 R is my lowest number in quite a while, I did well on the lower rows of DJ! to partially make up for it. Three tough DDs, too. The contestants didn't seem to have it much easier.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm

I watched Jeopardy! for the first time in 1967. Last night's game and tonight's game make the first time in all those years that I have "won the game from the imaginary podium" two games in a row. Carol Channing, (Ft. Knox) Kentucky, meter, seer, mites, Hillary Clinton, miter, Rin Tin Tin. That adds up to another $10,000 in Lach Trash, same as last night. Add that to an absolute instaget FJ (and our contestants' TS), easy win.

What in the name of Merv Griffin is going on with these contestants?

mrparadise
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrparadise » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 pm

John Boy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 pm
I watched Jeopardy! for the first time in 1967. Last night's game and tonight's game make the first time in all those years that I have "won the game from the imaginary podium" two games in a row. Carol Channing, (Ft. Knox) Kentucky, meter, seer, mites, Hillary Clinton, miter, Rin Tin Tin. That adds up to another $10,000 in Lach Trash, same as last night. Add that to an absolute instaget FJ (and our contestants' TS), easy win.

I think Alex is wondering the same thing. After one unexpected stumper he gave them the look, the one that might be described as puzzled or, less charitably, the stink eye.

twelvefootboy
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by twelvefootboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 pm

John Boy wrote:

I see no chance in hell of identifying one old lady glam shot from another old lady glam shot. (Likewise for old goats, no sexism here, just ageism lol). I don't remember the clue verbiage (died at 98 or something?), but they might as well have put Principal Skinner's Mom's silhouette on the screen (I sure miss watching that show regularly).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm

John Boy wrote:
Just because you happen to know enough to win a game from the fourth podium doesn't mean the contestants are terrible. These boards have felt tougher post-ToC and I think your comments are disrespectful.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:38 pm

What sort of brain dysfunction would cause me to precall "Algonquin" and have no idea after I see the clue?

I remember hearing that, in the old days, J! would start some sequence of games with players who achieved minimum passing scores, then gradually ramp up the scores. If I thought they were still doing this, I'd think they were early in such a cycle.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:38 pm
What sort of brain dysfunction would cause me to precall "Algonquin" and have no idea after I see the clue?
The same thing that on this game, made me say "okay, the symbol of Switzerland is a red cross, but what the hell does that have to do with organizations?"
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 am

Well for some oddball reason I put down "Iroquois Round Table" for FJ. I have no idea how my brain came up with that instead of Algonquin...

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:28 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am
Not a chance for me on the FJ! clue as I was more lost than the players trying Gatsby, SNL and the Apollo Theater. My page was blank as I was trying to find a piece of literature and not some actual group gathering. I wrote nothing and could not even form a possible guess.
Ditto for me.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 am

59 R (Margo Channing was my only miss today. Grandma will not be happy.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Latitude, (The Bell Jar), Jocular, Al Hirschfeld, Carol Channing, Kentucky, Meter, Seer, Parrot Fever, Mites, Hillary Clinton, Merit, Miter, Rin Tin Tin
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 130.9k games
Alpaca Farm: 1370 quizzes

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 am

Almost forgot to mention. NHO My Little Pony.

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am
DD1 on the 8th clue: 800-400 [springs trapdoor]

Broadway legend misidentified as Phyllis Diller. [springs trapdoor]

The biggest shock of the game was in STATE OF THE LOTTO SCRATCHER as I was dumbstruck that J! managed to find three contestants on the same day that could not connect Fort Knox to its state. I would think that clue gets hit 99% of the time as there are dozens of ways in one's lifetime to pick up that particular nugget. It has to be in the first 1000 if not lower for trivia things I learned.

The game was quite close at DD3: 7400-7200-7200 and then Stephanie hit the turbo switch.

Not a chance for me on the FJ! clue as I was more lost than the players trying Gatsby, SNL and the Apollo Theater. My page was blank as I was trying to find a piece of literature and not some actual group gathering. I wrote nothing and could not even form a possible guess. My NYC brain cells must been depleted after running the Broadway category.
she came to my mind when i first saw the image, but then thought it couldn't be her because she died before the date given...never heard of the person who was the correct answer

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:28 pm
Ran What's for Breakfast, all but "censure" in Words and Rin-Tin-Tin in Not-So-Easy Kids' TV. 0/5 in Secretary of State.

NHO Triumph, Ducati, or "ultimate driving machine" for BMW, and didn't see the TOM for Kawasaki. That was an oddly tough Motorcycle category.

In Extremis was tough. I got stuck on imperial and couldn't shift to metric in time to suss out "meter", and that flustered me just long enough for "seer" not to register in time. Got back on track for the next three, though. I almost thought that category was going to be another Talkin' Football.

No guess on FJ! I know Algonquin Round Table has come up before, but it just wasn't in the database when I tried to tackle this clue. Had no idea what to even put down.

Lach Trash: latitude, jocular, Kentucky, merit, miter
the tom there is ninja...they are known for producing the ninja motorcycle

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:45 am

floridagator wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 pm
I agree that that $400 bet on The Daily Double showed that the male contestant did not show up to play. He should take his consolation prize and get an Amtrak All-America pass.

I was surprised at that Phyllis Diller bomb and also that the other two contestants didn't rebound. Notice that it got an "oh no" from Alex. That is a sign that a contestant is way off.

I don't think that FJ was pinned closely enough to draw the correct response. There is simply too much under the category of literary going on in New York City. My first thought was an improv Club but I wasn't even sure what famous improv takes place in New York. The Improv? The comedy show? My next thought was Saturday Night Live and I put that on hold for a minute while I considered the New Yorker. But I decided that the New Yorker knoqn for its subtle humor didn't go with the words loud mouths. It actually could have been a lot of other things. I suspect I would have gotten that if there had been an additional Tom connecting to the Algonquin. But that's enough about me. The same thing felled the contestants.

I hope we will see Alex Dammasch in the next Toc. But before then she's going on her honeymoon, and if it's with me, we're not going to Greece, we're going to Disney World. :D

it was purely awful...i started going against him immediately when he did that...and on top of that he was slow ...

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:49 am

John Boy wrote:

yeah i don't get how none of them came up with kentucky for fort knox...i guess they never saw the military commercial with the girl giving a presentation to her class about all the places she has lived, including kentucky...where they keep all the gold....they get foxwoods in connecticut, but missed fort knox in kentucky...LOL

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:10 pm
John Boy wrote:

I see no chance in hell of identifying one old lady glam shot from another old lady glam shot. (Likewise for old goats, no sexism here, just ageism lol). I don't remember the clue verbiage (died at 98 or something?), but they might as well have put Principal Skinner's Mom's silhouette on the screen (I sure miss watching that show regularly).
i agree...as i mentioned in a previous post i said diller as well, but then i remembered she died before then...looked similar to diller imo...but perhaps not...the only time i can remember actually watching anything she was in was an episode of scooby doo

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:54 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:54 am
Almost forgot to mention. NHO My Little Pony.
so i am guessing you are not a bronie?

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 am

The "Oh, no!" is my favorite Alexism for a wrong answer.

I will say it again: As long at they're not going to leave the name of the category up on the screen, I hate HATE HATE HATE categories like In "Extremis".

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 am

alietr wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 am
The "Oh, no!" is my favorite Alexism for a wrong answer.

I will say it again: As long at they're not going to leave the name of the category up on the screen, I hate HATE HATE HATE categories like In "Extremis".
What made that category extra hard is, your mind gravitates to the X... and none of the correct responses had an X.