Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

French Painters
This French painter wrote, "I am good for nothing except painting and gardening."
Spoiler
Who is Monet? Brad said Cezanne; Mary Ann said Gaugain.
Mary Ann Stanley: $22,400-$100=$22,300
Kathryn Wendling: $9,600+$9,600=$19,200
Brad Brown: $8,200-$8,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

San Francisco is considered Northern California? When I think Northern California, I think Eureka or Redding — San Francisco seems more the middle of the state IMO. $600 and $1000 also seemed poorly written in that Character category. I couldn't even make heads or tails of what $1000 was asking for.

I remembered reading several times in the Bathroom Reader the name of the thingy on a sundial, but it would NOT come to me.

Lach Trash on Forrest Gump. That's my favorite movie!

Ran Invertebrates. Uncertainty over "anisette" being a word kept me from running "Sett"ing.

Did anyone else see the edit on 13 Letters? He asked for $1600, and the $1200 box showed up briefly before a jump cut back to the $1600 clue.

Mary Ann's story was amusing. My mom and I once walked into a local supermarket after they took over a former A&P. They weren't even open for business yet, just training the workers. I don't know if we actually got any shopping done before they asked us to leave.

French painters, huh? I'll precall Cézanne since it worked before. Hmm, gardening, probably someone who painted fruits, stay with it. It was Monet instead? Crap.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Not that it mattered in the end, but that was a terrible wager by Brad on the last DD -- he didn't even try to break the lock.

FJ thought process: French painter + garden --> water lilies --> Monet
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DWS wrote:Not that it mattered in the end, but that was a terrible wager by Brad on the last DD -- he didn't even try to break the lock.
Given what he bet for FJ, it was a perfectly defensible wager. I'm guessing he didn't like the category, so he bet small, hoping that FJ would be more to his liking. He knew he was playing for a wild card at that point.
TenPoundHammer wrote:French painters, huh? I'll precall Cézanne since it worked before. Hmm, gardening, probably someone who painted fruits, stay with it. It was Monet instead? Crap.
I went back and forth between Monet and Cezanne. Thankfully, I stuck with the right one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No French painters even came to mind. I did not know Monet was a gardener.

In a normal game, he should have bet $2,000 on the DD. If he liked the category, a larger bet would have been fine, but anything he loses hurts his chance at a wild card, but in the end it did not matter.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Cursing when FJ came up. No chance, went with Toulouse-Lautrec.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

DBear wrote:Toulouse-Lautrec.
Zat is why zee train shakes and shimmies.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I was pleasantly surprised to see that both Brad and Kathryn recognized their situation and did what they needed to do in Final Jeopardy, betting it all to maximize their chances at picking up a wild card. I did not envy Brad picking up the DD on the final clue, as he essentially had to choose whether to bet big on either a $2,000 clue in a category that he has already seen 4 clues in, or a FJ clue in a random, yet-to-be-seen category. I'm not sure what I would have done in that spot. I was 4/4 on the previous clues in Independence Days, but there are only so many countries I would have known that type of information about, and Iceland=Denmark was a bit of a guess based solely on Denmark owning Greenland. Had I known that French painters was to be the FJ category, I would have automatically bet it all on the Daily Double, as art and artists is one of my weakest areas. As it turned out, I guessed right on Monet, essentially choosing to name what I thought was the most famous French painter, as the garden clue meant absolutely nothing to me. On the DD I immediately figured that Belgium would have gained its independence from either France or the Netherlands, but my mental coin came up the wrong way and I went with France.
TenPoundHammer wrote:San Francisco is considered Northern California? When I think Northern California, I think Eureka or Redding — San Francisco seems more the middle of the state IMO. $600 and $1000 also seemed poorly written in that Character category. I couldn't even make heads or tails of what $1000 was asking for.

Lach Trash on Forrest Gump. That's my favorite movie!
It's been so long since I've seen Forrest Gump, that I didn't even remember the feather that is significant in the opening and closing scenes of the film, (just learned that from Wikipedia) so I was totally lost as to why the theme was called "Feather". I was guessing that it was either Saving Private Ryan or Forrest Gump, as two of Hanks' most famous movies, but I picked the wrong one.

I'm going to agree with you that the entire "Character" category was very strangely written, asking about odd, obscure facts that could mostly just be guessed at based on the TOMs in the clues and the value of the clue. I would say it would be Jeopardy Pavlovian that a $200 clue asking for a northern California city is going to be San Francisco about 98% of the time, whereas if that was the 4th or 5th clue in the category, I wouldn't dare hazard a guess.

Even after visiting Wikipedia, I'm still not entirely sure about the $1,000 clue, so I'm going to post it here so someone smart can explain to us. "In giving his compositions these numbers, Erik Satie started with 62 instead of 1" Alex so butchered his explanation of the answer, that I'm not even sure what the intended response was. Was it opus numbers? There is not even a mention of the word opus on Wiki, but other google search results would seem to indicate that this is indeed the case. Alex for some reason felt compelled to explain to us that Satie was a composer, you know, in case we didn't pick up on the word "compositions" in the clue, so his explanation just left me more confused.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote:No French painters even came to mind. I did not know Monet was a gardener.
I didn't know he did the gardening himself, but I knew some of his most famous paintings were of the gardens at Giverny. Still, when the clue came up, Giverny popped into my head, but it took a good 10 seconds to recall the name of the painter associated with it...
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Even after visiting Wikipedia, I'm still not entirely sure about the $1,000 clue, so I'm going to post it here so someone smart can explain to us. "In giving his compositions these numbers, Erik Satie started with 62 instead of 1" Alex so butchered his explanation of the answer, that I'm not even sure what the intended response was. Was it opus numbers? There is not even a mention of the word opus on Wiki, but other google search results would seem to indicate that this is indeed the case. Alex for some reason felt compelled to explain to us that Satie was a composer, you know, in case we didn't pick up on the word "compositions" in the clue, so his explanation just left me more confused.
I think Alex was surprised it was a triple stumper, since yes, numbers given to musical compositions are usually called opus numbers, the correct response. So I guess he assumed they didn't recognize Satie, even though that wasn't essential to getting it right, as long as you thought of musical compositions...
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Kathryn has been on WWTBAM and Weakest Link. I was just glad that our local station didn't put this story on their site until after today's game: Brainy Burnsville HS teacher debuts on Jeopardy!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

sherder wrote:Kathryn has been on WWTBAM and Weakest Link. I was just glad that our local station didn't put this story on their site until after today's game: Brainy Burnsville HS teacher debuts on Jeopardy!
File under "somebody doesn't have spellcheck".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

sherder wrote:Kathryn has been on WWTBAM and Weakest Link. I was just glad that our local station didn't put this story on their site until after today's game: Brainy Burnsville HS teacher debuts on Jeopardy!
I also think that there be spoilers there. They are talking about Wednesday's game in the past tense.

Brian

Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Monet's home and gardens in Giverny are an absolute must-see on your next trip to France. It's like walking into his paintings.

I still don't understand the Satie clue. Gymnopedies...Nocturnes...Gnossiennes...I would have guessed any of these before "opus" (no offense, opusthepenguin).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:San Francisco is considered Northern California?
Note the TV stations included here...

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:I also think that there be spoilers there. They are talking about Wednesday's game in the past tense.
Uh oh, did someone screw up on their past perfutational verb usage? ;)
davey

Post by davey »

Miss Mellie wrote: I still don't understand the Satie clue. Gymnopedies...Nocturnes...Gnossiennes...I would have guessed any of these before "opus" (no offense, opusthepenguin).
But I believe there are only 3 Gymnopedies, and they ARE known as numbers 1, 2, & 3, violating the premise of the question. I was momentarily confused by the wording, but after a second I realized they were seeking the general term, not something specific to Satie...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I checked my notebook and found a Kathryn Shaughnessy that won $50,000 on Millionaire on Nov. 14, 2005. That must be her? She made it to the 100K Q and switched it for another one.

If someone told me I live in So. California that's ridiculous. Middle California? Yeah, right. You must not be from around here. Northern California. That's all I ever hear it called round these parts.

Emperor Norton was indeed a character. He was in the right category.

Finally I clawed my way to a correct response on the FJ clue. Had to be him.