Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OPERA TITLE NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before being consumed in flames, he flirts with a bride on her wedding day & a list of his amorous conquests is sung

Stephanie Sumulong: 4400-2000=2400
Davita Curtis: 6000-2800=3200
Jennifer Quail: 35200+10000=45200 (New Champ!)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Don Giovanni (Stephanie – Icarus) (Davita – Barber of Seville)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 8000+2000
Jennifer: 11400+3000
Jennifer: 16800+4000

Coryats
Stephanie: 4400
Davita: 6000
Jennifer: 29400

Combined: 39,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Stephanie: 2400
Davita: 2400
Jennifer: 9400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Aww, no WWE today. The first segment (and the game as a whole) was a joy for tracking things with 3 categories played straight down with no jumping around. We'll see how Jennifer does tomorrow if either or both opponents do not play with the orderly approach.

Once again it was the champ picking first in the DJ! round having honors in a tie for last situation.

The FJ! clue is the kind of thing that will get me as I don't really know much about such things other than being able to match title to composer and vice versa. I got distracted by the wrong hint in thinking that "flame" meant someone with "fire" in the name. The Firebird occurred to me though did not go on the paper as I knew that was not an opera.

Fire, fire, fire...Nothing. I looked at my precall list:
Tosca
Carmen
Madama Butterfly
Turandot

and nothing looked good there. Next I ran a quick brainstorm of opera guys that J! likes and hit upon Wagner. I wrote Lohengrin to have something in thinking it would be funny to get lucky on it after not getting the recent LL Q about him.

When Alex mentioned the correct composer I knew two things, I was wrong, and who it was. If I had used the right path of thinking of someone with a "list of his amorous conquests" then I could have gotten there with a Don Juan/Casanova road.

What a great debut by Jennifer with 29400 Coryat and 4/4 on big clues including the sole solve at the end. Automatic five wins minimum and ToC for sure?

Homey don't play that.

Anyone going on the show can only wish to have the kind of dream game that Jennifer had today. Was it a dream game or only typical of the tremendous skills that Jennifer is ready to display game after game? Time will tell.

What I do know is that a player cannot always count on finding and converting all three DDs. Buzzer domination in one game does not always carry over to the next day. Different opponents can have different playing styles. Some champs can adapt effortlessly while others will not like a new pattern. The quick turnaround from one game to the next is fast and I've seen champs leave it all on the floor in game one while not being ready to do it all again in such a short time frame coming off the high of a dominant victory.

Alex Damisch it would seem got out at the right time leaving Stephanie to take the whomping.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I forgot to add thanks to WAKA. Locally KPIX and other network affiliates were (and still are) showing the testimony. Down in Alabama perhaps they've had enough as J! aired at the regular time in Montgomery.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Many pros for Jennifer, and now with the game archived, including 33R. On the con side the 5W was meaningless today though could matter in a closer game.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

I don’t know opera at all well. Don Juan. Judges? —Bob
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bob78164 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 pm I don’t know opera at all well. Don Juan. Judges? —Bob
Tough call, but I'd vote no. Right name, wrong language. That would be like saying "Clowns" for "Pagliacci", or perhaps more saliently, "Don John."

Methinks you aren't going to be the only person to say Don Juan.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am What I do know is that a player cannot always count on finding and converting all three DDs. Buzzer domination in one game does not always carry over to the next day. Different opponents can have different playing styles. Some champs can adapt effortlessly while others will not like a new pattern. The quick turnaround from one game to the next is fast and I've seen champs leave it all on the floor in game one while not being ready to do it all again in such a short time frame coming off the high of a dominant victory.
Jennifer was 17R 3W in the bottom two rows; bottom-row knowledge tends to hold up better than buzzer skills or Daily Doubles.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'd say no on Don Juan, as a cursory search suggests the opera is still known as Don Giovanni in Spain.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

This was a tough board for me but I did manage all the DDs and FJ. Don Giovanni was in my precall list and I knew it immediately.

That said, Jennifer played an excellent game. This is a very impressive first episode.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Jennifer seems like a god-tier player, though I won't declare that just yet until or if she keeps it up tomorrow and Friday.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

That is a very impressive first-day coryat.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

surprised only 1 contestant got the final jeopardy clue correct...i mean if i am getting an opera question right, then everyone and their brother should be getting it...the other week a dude i know posted he was attending a performance of that opera...i told him that opera was highly promoted when i was attending uni in prague...walk through old town and you were basically accosted in hopes you would attend...i was like.."pass..i am here for beer not for opera"...didn't even know what it was about...so the other week the dude i know gave me a summary and it was basically "main character is all about getting him some"...so the summary fit that clue and was an easy get
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $42,200 (50R, 0W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: I’d Do Anything For Love, wolf

Second-bests for me in terms of Coryat and number of corrects, after this game. Nice to see a game like this after the last several slogs. Nice to see such a dominant performance, too!

I was sure I was going to extend my FJ miss streak to 4 after seeing the category, but was able to put the pieces together and pull out a get in a weak category for me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".

How did Bangladesh "make sense" in Bengal for $200? I bombed that category.

I thought "hold that tiger" was out of line in the Tiger category. Felt like something specialized that way too few people would know.

Ran the Toy category. Bottom box cost me the run in Trios, Parenthetical, and Vowels, and $1,200 cost me in Science.

What was the TOM for "wall" in Modern Activism for $400? I said "ladder" which IMO makes more sense.

Opera Title Names? Yep, no hope for me whatsoever. Correct response is not ringing any bells.

Lach trash: "I'd Do Anything for Love", swim bladder
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 pm I don’t know opera at all well. Don Juan. Judges? —Bob
Tough call, but I'd vote no. Right name, wrong language. That would be like saying "Clowns" for "Pagliacci", or perhaps more saliently, "Don John."

Methinks you aren't going to be the only person to say Don Juan.
+1, alas. Once he said Mozart, I went "Aw, crud" and was hoping for a favorable ruling from the judges.

Jennifer is in her rookie season on LL. She's kicking butt in her rundle of course, but may not be quite A material. But she sure was good tonight.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

Yes, Jennifer played really well, and I got to talk with her during lunch and she is really sweet person and extremely well versed in the arts, and she had a brother that's a big opera fan, so it was a tailor made final for her. Just wanted to put out there my game is on Friday so if you guys do have a chance definitely check out!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am When Alex mentioned the correct composer I knew two things, I was wrong, and who it was. If I had used the right path of thinking of someone with a "list of his amorous conquests" then I could have gotten there with a Don Juan/Casanova road.
Ditto
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Put me down also as putting down "Don Juan" instead of "Don Giovanni". Operatic-sounding name who had a lot of lovers? My brain stalled for about 5-10 seconds, until I heard the phrase "He's a real Don Juan" echoing in my head. Since I'm someone for whom "THE DREADED OPERA CATEGORY" would apply, I shrugged and stuck with it. But, unlike giving myself credit for "Napoli" instead of "Naples" for the name of an Italian town, I think I think this one would be marked wrong. The opera is known as Don Giovanni, since opera is a (mostly) Italian thing, and is based on the fictional Don Juan, from what I've Googled in 2 minutes.

I got the macaques of Gibraltar question right, because I was on a cruise that stopped at Gibraltar. We saw the rock, and went to a cave (I think St. Michael's?) where there were a lot of macaques outside. Some tour buses from another company were parked with temporary advertising signs, and one of the macaques slid a sign out and ran off with it. Not sure what s/he was going to do with the sign, but good for the monkey!

Judges - safeTY deposit box? I feel safe with that one. How about "monkeys" for "three monkeys"? The clue and category says "trio" in it, so it seems redundant. I was trying to come up with the FULL name, which is "three WISE monkeys". Surprised they accepted just "three monkeys", which makes me wonder if just "monkeys" is okay. Probably not...

Came close with "The Lady, or the Tiger", but I had "Tiger or Princess". I remember seeing a reading that in eighth grade, and then seeing a really weird television version of it in class.

Impressive game by Jennifer. $45K Coryat and 33R with buzzer interference? I can't get anywhere near that when I'm playing solo. Five gamer, perhaps?