Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex really sounded rough in the intro.

Ran Archaeology of all categories, got all but $1,000 in Literary Locales.

NHO "Hitch", so "Genie" wasn't registering as the one from Aladdin. Ended up bombing that category.

Cheese was tough, only got $200.

Also NHO "Jitterbug" that I recall.

"British Flag" did NOT need a BMS to "Union Jack". They're the same goddamn thing. That's like BMSing "American flag" to "stars and stripes".

I was 0/5 in "B" Siege and Patriot Games.

Endorphins for dopamine cost me the run in Jeff Goldblum.

"Montgomery Ward" was all I needed to instaget this.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

soxfan99 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm I've never been in so much pain watching a Jeopardy game.

It started with a bottom row clue asking for jimmies, when what they showed weren't jimmies. (Jimmies are black, chocolate sprinkles. Multicolored ones are just sprinkles.)
This is by no means a universally agreed upon distinction.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Maybe we should poll the "jimmies" issue. Like the poster above, I've always considered the dk. brown ones jimmies and the multicolored ones sprinkles.
https://youtu.be/EkdvIVyuO8U
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Dang it, J!, spoiler alert!! :lol: (I finished season 2 of Game of Thrones yesterday)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: The players were quite error-prone today with lots of bad guesses sending scores backwards.
Not the least of which was Jennifer. She was suspect to taking random guesses in her first game. Today she cost herself at least a crush going into FJ. I was amazed that she managed to stay clam on that Fenway Park clue.
I suspect Chris was following Kelly's lead, thinking she was on the right track. A foolish mistake.
threearruda wrote:
mas3cf wrote:
Every clue in that Jeff Goldblum category had me checking my watch. I wish they would just let Alex read all the clues.
Yeah that was... a category alright. I'd have thrown a chair if the Pats category went unplayed. :lol:
I was fuming when they abandoned the Patriots category with so little time left, only to have Goldblum take forever to get through one clue after another. Then Alex's acknowledgement took even more time.... astonishing that the end of round signal didn't go off immediately afterwards.
How in the hell did they still have time for the last two clues?
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:05 pm
soxfan99 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm I've never been in so much pain watching a Jeopardy game.

It started with a bottom row clue asking for jimmies, when what they showed weren't jimmies. (Jimmies are black, chocolate sprinkles. Multicolored ones are just sprinkles.)
This is by no means a universally agreed upon distinction.
Yeah, I grew up in the Boston area, where the term "jimmies" is most common, and don't recall ever hearing this distinction before.
MitchO wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:32 pm Put me in the "Why the heck would I know that" category for FJ. I don't even know that that qualifies as a "non-traditional" Christmas song. It came out in the same two decade period as the bulk of the biggest Christmas songs, so why would I even think of it differently? I went with "We Wish You a Merry X-Mas", since it sounded like something a greeter at a store would say.
A "traditional song" is one that evolved through the folk process, and thus does not have an identifiable composer. A song whose exact origins are known -- which is the case with "Rudolph," as this FJ details -- is by definition not traditional. And yes, that narrows it down considerably. Many well-known Christmas songs, including the one you guessed, are traditional.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.

A first edition reading shows this is a "Night Before Christmas" inspiree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppjlgMv8tA
I'm with you. The best I could do was a coin flip, which naturally landed on the wrong side (Frosty).
Same here. I wrote Frosty first, then thought about Rudolph, but decided to stick with my first instinct.

My wife actually had a well-reasoned answer with "Here Comes Santa Claus" thinking of retail stores using "Santa Claus Lane" for their Christmas products.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
goongas

Post by goongas »

This was a good board for me today. I knew FJ immediately, I consider that standard trivia. It was not a good FJ question, you can't really figure it out. I also agree that British flag should have been accepted. They should have edited out Jeff's pauses like certain Youtuber's videos I have been watching lately.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I wish Kelly would have whistled the J! theme - they own the copyright, so why not? I've no idea what she did whistle, but it was obviously a complicated melody to show off her skill.

Very weak FJ clue, but I assume the two contestants knew the YEKIOYD. The writers should have given us the general decade - very little is ruled out during Monkey Ward's 100 year run. I tried to think of the song that involves a "dolly for my sister", before defaulting to Jingle Bells just because it is the most iconic secular Xmas carol. It was Up on the Housetop that I gave up on, and it at least gives a laundry list of toys that could easily be subliminally pimped to children. Excerpt:
Spoiler

Print these lyrics
Up on the housetop
Reindeer pause,
Out jumps good old Santa Claus
Down through the chimney
With lots of toys
All for the little ones,
Christmas joys

First comes the stocking
Of little Nell
Oh, dear Santa fill it well
Give her a dolly that
Laughs and cries
One that will open and
Shut her eyes

Repeat chorus

Next comes the
Stocking of little Will
Oh just see what a glorious fill
Here is a hammer and lots of tacks
Also a ball and a whip that cracks
I said "Jingle Bells" just to make sure I didn't overthink it and miss the most Christmas-y of all songs. (Although my favorite version is the McKenzie Brothers with "My Rusty Chevrolet").

Yeah, the Union Jack BMS was picayune. But I will defer to our anthemologist DHK for the assessment.

Good luck to oduguy tomorrow September!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am I wish Kelly would have whistled the J! theme - they own the copyright, so why not? I've no idea what she did whistle, but it was obviously a complicated melody to show off her skill.
It was, appropriately, the Christmas carol "Ding Dong Merrily on High."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am I said "Jingle Bells" just to make sure I didn't overthink it and miss the most Christmas-y of all songs. (Although my favorite version is the McKenzie Brothers Da Yoopers with "My Rusty Chevrolet").
FTFY
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

squarekara wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 pm Maybe we should poll the "jimmies" issue. Like the poster above, I've always considered the dk. brown ones jimmies and the multicolored ones sprinkles.
https://youtu.be/EkdvIVyuO8U
I've never heard of them called jimmies -- they're all sprinkles to me.

My futility continues with FJ this week. Considered Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town and went with Frosty.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought at the time the BMS on “British Flag” was getting at the fact that the clue referenced the addition of the St. Patrick cross, representing (these days) Northern Ireland, which is not part of Great Britain but is part of the United Kingdom. I would have responded with UK flag to the BMS.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.

A first edition reading shows this is a "Night Before Christmas" inspiree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppjlgMv8tA
are you a disciple from the school of tenpoundhammer?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the people that couldn't come with the correct response to the final jeopardy clue, must not play a lot of bar trivia...i have seen a question similar to that at least one bar every holiday season over the past 10 years...pretty general usa holiday trivia nugget imo
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm Coryat $41,200 (46 R, 2 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

My best Coryat so far this season, I'm pretty sure. Ran 5 categories in DJ!, a few brain farts in 4-letter words kept me from 30/30.

Every clue in that Jeff Goldblum category had me checking my watch. I wish they would just let Alex read all the clues.
i agree...goldblum was awful...so slow..not sure why he is a cult favourite these days...only movie i like that he has ever been in is "death wish" and he has only a minor role in that film
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

True North wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:14 pm Coryat: $44,400 (52R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Kellyanne Conway, Fenway Park, snowplow, Bob Kraft

New 2nd-best Coryat for the second day in a row :mrgreen: Ran every category in DJ except for “B” Sieged.

The Fenway debacle is one of the more embarrassing multi-incorrects I’ve seen (and Alex clearly agreed), but not even the worst this episode (that would be Gouda). Read the clue, people!

Agreed with the complaints about FJ. I went for Santa Claus is Coming to Town, thinking it might be a tie-in to a department store Santa.
i wonder if "the crypt keeper" would have been accepted
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:46 pm Jeff Goldblum. Worst. Category. Ever.

Frosty here. Bzzzzt, wrong. I agree with Robert -- YEKIOYD.
we agree on something....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 pm Alex really sounded rough in the intro.

Ran Archaeology of all categories, got all but $1,000 in Literary Locales.

NHO "Hitch", so "Genie" wasn't registering as the one from Aladdin. Ended up bombing that category.

Cheese was tough, only got $200.

Also NHO "Jitterbug" that I recall.

"British Flag" did NOT need a BMS to "Union Jack". They're the same goddamn thing. That's like BMSing "American flag" to "stars and stripes".

I was 0/5 in "B" Siege and Patriot Games.

Endorphins for dopamine cost me the run in Jeff Goldblum.

"Montgomery Ward" was all I needed to instaget this.
you know we are in bizzarro world if this was an instaget for hammer as he knew of the connection between montgomery ward and rudolph and hardly anyone else on here so far did
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am I wish Kelly would have whistled the J! theme - they own the copyright, so why not? I've no idea what she did whistle, but it was obviously a complicated melody to show off her skill.

Very weak FJ clue, but I assume the two contestants knew the YEKIOYD. The writers should have given us the general decade - very little is ruled out during Monkey Ward's 100 year run. I tried to think of the song that involves a "dolly for my sister", before defaulting to Jingle Bells just because it is the most iconic secular Xmas carol. It was Up on the Housetop that I gave up on, and it at least gives a laundry list of toys that could easily be subliminally pimped to children. Excerpt:
Spoiler

Print these lyrics
Up on the housetop
Reindeer pause,
Out jumps good old Santa Claus
Down through the chimney
With lots of toys
All for the little ones,
Christmas joys

First comes the stocking
Of little Nell
Oh, dear Santa fill it well
Give her a dolly that
Laughs and cries
One that will open and
Shut her eyes

Repeat chorus

Next comes the
Stocking of little Will
Oh just see what a glorious fill
Here is a hammer and lots of tacks
Also a ball and a whip that cracks
I said "Jingle Bells" just to make sure I didn't overthink it and miss the most Christmas-y of all songs. (Although my favorite version is the McKenzie Brothers with "My Rusty Chevrolet").

Yeah, the Union Jack BMS was picayune. But I will defer to our anthemologist DHK for the assessment.

Good luck to oduguy tomorrow September!
jingle bells was originally a thanksgiving song