FJs for the 12/2/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/2/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

"Why does not the Pope... build the basilica of St. Peter with his own money rather than with the money of poor believers?" is one of these
88%
An insider described the scene there: "Just...loudmouths showing off, saving their gags for days, waiting to spring them"
44%
Before being consumed in flames, he flirts with a bride on her wedding day & a list of his amorous conquests is sung
55%
This song had its beginnings as a book handed out to children at Christmas at Montgomery Ward
47%
A tourism website for this country noted its colorful history "filled with barbarians", royalty, "& even a movie star"  
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five boxes above.
10%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? $1000: The cereal aisle has these 2 rhyming brands, a corn-puff cereal & one that's specifically not for rabbits
87%
TIGER TALK $400: In Clemson's fight song this phrase follows "Where's that tiger?"
17%
RETIRED NUMBERS IN SPORTS $600 box DD: The Seattle Seahawks retired this number to honor the extra player, the fans
79%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had some form of "Luther" in my response.
32%
I'm checking the Tuesday FJ! clue box for correct with something other than "Algonquin Round Table."
7%
Don Juan was my response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
18%
"Frosty the Snowman" was my guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
9%
"Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was my guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
13%
Austria was my guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
15%

Total votes: 103

xabe
Valued Contributor

Re: FJs for the 12/2/19 week

Post by xabe »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

I was unfamiliar with Montgomery Ward, and thought it sounded like an old English hospital. :oops:
I think I ended up going with "Away in a Manger".
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

I knew that Rudolph was written by an ad man whose last name is the same as mine (no relation afaik). So I guessed Rudolph for the Christmas song based on that.

I did however give some consideration to Mr. Hankey The Christmas Poo. :D
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(

One of my worst weeks.

Luther's Theses was pretty quick for me, but the rest I was pretty clueless.

Tues: the right response is unfamiliar to me. Have no idea at all what they are talking about in either the clue or the response.
Wed: Dreaded Opera. I can get a top row clue every now and then. In FJ, I wager nothing, good wagering logic be damned. I have heard of the right opera, though.
Thurs: WAG at The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Fri: Guessed Norway. They have a royal family. Thought the Vikings might be a non-literal substitute for barbarians. Surely, there must be a movie star from Norway. Plenty of blondes. If nothing else, perhaps a tongue-in-cheek shout out (it is advertising, after all) to Elsa from the Frozen movies.

In the extras, got Trix right away, but didn't pause long enough to dope out Kix. College fight songs? Nope. Botched the retired number by thinking there were 12 payers on the field in football.
--Peter
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:00 pm Botched the retired number by thinking there were 12 payers on the field in football.
Not so wrong as it could have been. They specified the Seahawks, so we know it was the NFL. If it had been a Canadian team, your impulse would have been correct -- the CFL has 12 players on the field. Depends on which brand of football you follow more closely. There are plenty of Canadian Jeopardy fans out there (though they almost invariably know MUCH more about the U.S. than Americans know about Canada).
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.