TD 436 - Kansas City (all questions revealed)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

TD 436 - Kansas City (all questions revealed)

Post by Ironhorse »

This one is themed based on my hometown, but designed to be accessible to anybody regardless of whether they've ever been to the Paris of the Plains.

1. Lowest score wins.
2. Wrong answers will score the sheep answer, plus 4 points.
3. You may DROP one question for a score of 0.
4. You may also choose the SHEEP on one question for a score of the most popular answer on that question.
5. There is a bonus of -4 points for all correct answers without using a drop or sheep.
6. No cheating - that includes Google, Bing, Ask Jeeves, phone a friend, etc.
7. Submissions will be due by 9 AM Eastern Time on Tuesday, December 17.
8. Submit here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

1. Name one of the following items with the initials KC.

An organization devoted to dog breeding and showing
Informal name of a knifehand strike in martial arts
Antagonist of Batman whose real name is Waylon Jones
The national reptile of India, which can be up to 18 feet long
Side attraction at sporting events that attempts to incite public displays of affection among spectators
1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger film
A blatantly unfair judicial proceeding
The only world capital city that falls under this category
Another term for modulation in music
Famous video game cheat - Up up down down left right left right B A
“Day ‘n Nite” rapper, born Scott Ramon Seguro Mescudi

2. Identify one of the following movies set in Kansas or Missouri (in some cases, partly).

1939 - Judy Garland, Frank Morgan (dir. Victor Fleming)
1961 - Natalie Wood, Warren Beatty (dir. Elia Kazan)
1967 - Robert Blake, Scott Wilson (dir. Richard Brooks)
1983 - Jason Robards, JoBeth Williams (dir. Nicholas Meyer)
1984 - Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds (dir. Richard Benjamin)
1989 - Patrick Swayze, Ben Gazzara (dir. Rowdy Herrington)
1990 - Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell (dir. Kevin Costner)
1996 - Fred Willard, Catherine O’Hara (dir. Christopher Guest)
1999 - Tobey MacGuire, Jewel (dir. Ang Lee)
2005 - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener (dir. Bennett Miller)
2017 - Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson (dir. Martin McDonagh)

3. Identify one of the following individuals with ties to the Kansas City area.

Winner of the 2018 Jeopardy! Teachers Tournament
“Hidden Figures” and “Moonlight” actress who has also been nominated for eight Grammys
Libertarian science fiction author - “Starship Troopers”, “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress”
Late humanitarian activist who was one of the two tallest players in NBA history
Actor best known for portraying Cameron Tucker on Modern Family
Technically proficient drummer for the rock band Tool
Radical temperance activist who smashed saloons with a hatchet
Blues musician like her sister, Amanda; recently released album “Kill Or Be Kind”
Food writer and humorist who has regularly written for The New Yorker since 1963
Kitty Foyle actress best known for her nine film partnerships with Fred Astaire
Unlicensed psychologist who hosts a popular CBS talk show

4. The American Jazz Museum in the 18th and Vine District, located next to the Negro Leagues Museum, is a must-visit. Name a famous jazz musician.

5. Mickey Mouse was originally inspired by a mouse Walt Disney adopted in his Kansas City studio. Identify one of these fictional rodents.

Pet rat in a 1972 horror film whose theme song Michael Jackson sang
Brave, valiant leader of the Talking Mice in C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia
Muppet who was part of a double act with Gonzo the Great
Pizza chain mascot who was changed from a rat to a mouse in the 1990s
Singing chipmunk with two brothers, Simon and Theodore
Mouse with supernatural powers who lives among death row inmates in The Green Mile
Cynical, misanthropic main character in the comic strip Pearls Before Swine with a very generic name
A messenger squirrel in Norse Mythology adapted as an assassin in the game Smite Beaver mascot of Canada’s national parks system
Elderly, homeless mouse mentioned in Pink Floyd’s song Bike
A talking mouse with two human parents in an E.B. White novel

6. Unscramble the names of one of these Kansas City suburbs. (I will note whether the suburb is in Kansas or Missouri.)

XANEEL (KS)
RRNDAEG (KS)
VORDLAEN KAPR (KS)
HEENWAS (KS)
DEWALOO (KS)
LAOETH (KS)
NENIENEDDPEC (MO)
ELSE TMUMIS (MO)
NBLOET (MO)
ONRYWAT (MO)
SLDNGEOAT (MO)

7. In honor of the Kansas City Chiefs: Name the current CEO of a United States based company. (I’m not going to require any specifics like Fortune 500, but please don’t submit CEOs of five employee companies nobody has heard of. My rule of thumb is that if the company is big enough to have its own Wikipedia article, it counts.)

8. Harry Truman got his political start as part of the Pendergast political machine that dominated local politics in the 1920s and 30s. Answer one of these questions about events that took place during his presidency.

1946 - British man William Joyce, nicknamed this, is executed for treason, having broadcast German propaganda over the radio
1946 - The first targets of this dismissive two word phrase that has become a popular generational warfare rallying cry in 2019 are born
1946 - Fashion designer Louis Réard introduces this article of clothing
1947 - A report of a “flying disk” being found near a ranch in this town would later spark extensive speculation
1947 - Howard Hughes takes his large wooden aircraft, best known by this rhyming name, for its first and only test run
1948 - President Truman famously holds up a copy of this newspaper which incorrectly reported his defeat in his bid for re-election
1949 - This now-classic novel, which introduced terms such as “doublespeak” and “thought police” into our lexicon, was published
1950 - The first charge card is introduced by this company
1950- The Baltimore Evening Sun writes of "an anonymous citizen who creeps in annually to place an empty bottle (of excellent label) against the gravestone" of this person.
1952 - This item became the first toy to be advertised on television; initially, consumers were expected to provide their own vegetable
1952 - This John Cage “musical work”, where the performer does not play, debuts

9. Answer one of these questions (of varying difficulty) about local sports.

This marsupial is the mascot of the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC).
This was the original name of Kansas City’s MLS team; it was changed after one season, and was widely ridiculed due to associations with bathroom humor.
This was the name of the NHL team that played in the city from 1974 to 1976.
This celebration popular among Chiefs fans, also used by fans of Florida State and the Atlanta Braves, has proven controversial in recent years.
This locally born golfer nearly won the 2009 Open Championship at age 59.
This was the name of Kansas City’s successful Negro Leagues baseball team, for whom Jackie Robinson and Satchel Paige both played.
The Royals were sued when its mascot, Sluggerrrr, accidentally shot a spectator in the eye with this ballpark food staple in 2009.
A famous 1983 incident occurred when Royals star George Brett had a home run taken away for having excessive amounts of this substance on his bat.
From 1972 to 1975, the NBA’s Kings split its home games between Kansas City and this other Midwestern city.
A 2013 smash hit by this New Zealand singer was inspired by a picture of a Kansas City sports uniform.
He is the most recent athlete from a Kansas City Big 4 team to be his league’s regular season MVP.

10. The Steamboat Arabia museum in the City Market district showcases the salvage of the Arabia, which sunk in the Missouri River in 1856. Identify one of these famous boats or ships.

Slave ship overtaken by a mutiny, resulting in a Supreme Court case
Freighter that sunk in a Lake Superior storm on November 10, 1975
Robert Fulton's first steamboat is now mostly known by this name, though it was not called that at the time
Charles Darwin spent five years circumnavigating the globe aboard this ship
Battleship bombed at Pearl Harbor, resulting in 1117 casualties
“Unsinkable” ship that struck an iceberg in April 1912
Ship best known for its crew’s refusal to attempt to rescue the passengers of the previous ship on this list
One of the three ships Christopher Columbus used in his most famous voyage; perhaps ironically, this one wrecked on Christmas Day 1492
Ship whose mysterious explosion contributed to the outbreak of the Spanish-American War
The trophy for a famous yacht race is named after its initial winner, in 1851
British ocean liner fatefully torpedoed by German U-boats in May 1915

11. A statue of controversial abolitionist John Brown sits in the Quindaro neighborhood of Kansas City, Kansas. Identify one of the following items with a color in its name.

Private detective/security agency with the motto “we never sleep”
Nursery rhyme about a shepherd sleeping under a haybale
A type of radiation that cannot be seen but felt as heat; used in night vision goggles
Upcoming superhero film starring Scarlett Johannsen as a former KGB agent
Ongoing protest movement in France concerned with issues including fuel prices and cost of living
This upscale women’s clothing retailer has the name of two colors, but is unrelated to the presidency or illegal trade
Adam Levine-led pop rock band that performed at the 2019 Super Bowl halftime show
Recently proposed environmental/economic legislation associated with politicians such as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ed Markey
City home to the University of South Dakota
Author of books such as the Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen God’s Wife
Winner of the 2010 BCS National Championship (college football)
This three word phrase from America the Beautiful inspired the name of a Crayola crayon color
Last edited by Ironhorse on Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:57 am, edited 8 times in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 436 - Kansas City

Post by MarkBarrett »

If I had a dollar for every time the host forgot the line for user name on the Google form... :lol:

My name is in answer 1.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:46 am If I had a dollar for every time the host forgot the line for user name on the Google form... :lol:

My name is in answer 1.
It's been added! Thanks.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Thanks for this, Ironhorse. I don't normally get around to playing these things. There's something intimidating and depressing about trying to cleverly strategize over SO MANY different questions only to find out I wandered right into the fold on some and maybe even picked a flat out wrong answer on another. But I live in the KC area. I know this isn't entirely a TD about Kansas City, but it looks like there are a few questions where knowledge of the locale will help. So I decided to take a shot and face my inevitable humiliation with... well, with a lot of colorful language, but also I hope with a certain rueful amusement.

Here are a few random thoughts while they're fresh in my mind.
DON'T READ UNTIL YOU'VE SUBMITTED YOUR ANSWERS!!!! (or decided not to play)
1. Nice grab bag. Of the ones I knew, I had no idea which to go with. I have a strategy in this situation which I'll keep to myself despite the fact that it never works.

I didn't know the informal name for the knifehand strike. Looking it up, I see that I was seriously overthinking it. I was picturing an actual knife in the hand, I think.

I spent way too much time trying to remember the capital city that qualifies, EVEN THOUGH I KNEW I WOULDN'T USE IT AS MY ANSWER. That clue is a nerd magnet. Too many boardies will know the answer while thinking it's obscure. (And it is. Outside the JBoard and other such places.)

I didn't know that cheat sequence had a name. If I'd had to guess I would have said "Kill Code" and racked up a wrong answer.

2. For this clue I would have loved to see "1973 - Ryan O'Neal, Tatum O'Neal (dir. Peter Bogdanovich)" since it's set in both states and nowhere else. I probably would have picked it just because I love the film so much. But it might not have been a bad choice for strategic reasons.
name of film
Paper Moon
Instead I went with a film I only kind of liked that seems to fall deeper into obscurity with each passing year: Dances with Wolves. That Far Side Cartoon really hasn't held up.
Probably a copyright violation, so go buy a Far Side book and thank me later
3. I've seen Eric Stonestreet on TV when they turn on the Christmas lights in the Plaza after Thanksgiving. So, lacking any strategic insight on this one, I went with him as a sentimental favorite.

4. "Name a famous jazz musician." This is wide open. There'll be a lot of singletons, even from among the famous names. There'll be at least one surprising duplicate of an obscure name. (But not mine. Nope. I got a singleton on this one.) I just hope there won't be any unhappy arguments about whether so-and-so is a jazz musician and/or famous. I'm waiting with gleeful anticipation to see if anyone actually answers "Kenny G".

5. Great. This is a "clearly should not choose the cup in front of me" situation. Do I go with the most obscure (to my mind) of the ones I know? Or the most obvious? Somewhere in between? Does the location of the question in the list matter? Are questions that come later more likely to be answered? Or do people get to the end of the list and then go back to the top to re-read and settle on one of the early questions as their best bet? I'm starting to remember why I don't play this game.

All I know is that first one is going to screw at least one person over when they answer "Willard".

6. A KC based question. I know all these cities. It's hard to judge their level of obscurity. Plus, there's at least one other boardie who knows this area, so he might pick the same obscure answer I do. Which boardie is that? (Thinks. Smiles. Ok, so I'm safe on that score anyway.) Well, let's just arbitrarily narrow it to the place I live now (Shawnee) and the place I lived before that (Lenexa). I think Shawnee's easier to unscramble with confidence even if you don't know the locale. Lenexa, you have to know about. So I guess I'll go with that and bleat about my misfortune later.

7. Dang it! You couldn't have done this quiz a few months ago? The CEO of my wife's company quit in September. He would have been a guaranteed singleton. The Google guys just quit too, but I don't know if they're formally gone yet. I never remember which one's the CEO anyway. I'm betting several players go with the new guy since this has been in the news recently. He might even sheep. I decided to DROP this one since I'm not 100% confident that any of the CEOs I know about are STILL the CEO. Or, alternatively, I don't know that the person in question is CEO instead of president or something. I guess I'm pretty confident about Jeff Bezos. But I have the feeling he'll score at least 4 points, which negates the reward of -4 points for not using my SHEEP or my DROP.

8. I knew all of these except which Chicago paper Truman is holding up. That always ends up being a coin flip in my head no matter how many times I've learned the trivium. Really tough to choose which to answer. I finally went with Cage's 4'33" on the grounds that people might shy away from it for fear that they're misremembering the exact timing. This actually happened on my TD 142: A Touch of Classical. On the other hand, looking it up now that I've locked in my answer for this quiz, I see that 4'33" still sheeped on my TD 142. Sigh. Maybe it won't do that this time?

9. For a sports question, I knew a comfortable number of these. I went with the Kansas City Monarchs for what's probably a dumb reason: it seems kind of obscure so I'm proud of knowing it. But I bet a lot of our sportheads know it. Also, fans of the first season of Aaron Sorkin's late 90s TV show, Sports Night.

10. Been here over 13 years and STILL haven't visited The Steamboat Arabia museum. This chronic fatigue thing sucks. I avoided going with Amistad because too many people here have read Prisoner of Trebekistan. But how many Gordon Lightfoot fans do we have? Should I go with that one? Will people avoid Titanic because it's obvious or flock to it because they think others will avoid it? Will anyone see "unsinkable" and neg with Molly Brown? It may not be fair to say that any ship REFUSED to rescue Titanic passengers. "Failure" might have been a better word choice than "refusal" there. (Will anyone neg with Carpathia, the ship that DIDN'T refuse/fail to come to Titanic's aid?) Anyway, no clue about strategy on this one. I just went with the Beagle.

11. NHO White House Black Market. The name was deducible from the clue, but I didn't feel lucky enough to guess that without confirming it first. (And once I'd confirmed it, basic penguin integrity forbade me to use it as my answer. So basic penguin schadenfreude says I hope it sheeps.) I avoided the Crayola question because I wasn't sure whether the line was "purple mountain majesties" or "purple mountains' majesty" or "purple mountains' majesties" or "purple mountain majesty". Turns out the original line, and thus the correct answer, was the first one. But Crayola went with the second one. Would that be accepted? What about the other variants? Best stay away from this one. Ended up on a coin flip between Pinkerton and Amy Tan with the certain knowledge that either one could sheep and I'd be sorry I didn't go with something else.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Entrants:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
gwallace2
casketromance
Gamawire
Floridagator
True North
Opus the Penguin
uncapitalized
alamble
RougeGod
clt013
Sensei CAY
AFRET CMS
jsm378
twelvefootboy
merica
Allison
MollyQMurphy
MattKnowles
lefty
blueoncemoon
Rackme32
Last edited by Ironhorse on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 am Entrants:
Spoiler
gwallace2
casketromance
Gamawire
Floridagator
True North
Opus the Penguin
uncapitalized
alamble
RougeGod
Early bird doesn't get the worm? Did my entry get botched because of the name line omission?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:18 am
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:01 am Entrants:
Spoiler
gwallace2
casketromance
Gamawire
Floridagator
True North
Opus the Penguin
uncapitalized
alamble
RougeGod
Early bird doesn't get the worm? Did my entry get botched because of the name line omission?
Nope, just a copy/paste omission on my part. It's fixed.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thanks John Boy, for the quiz. And thanks, Penguin for all the advice. I considered opening your spoiler because rule 6 doesn't say anything about previewing or purloining proffered Penguin propositions :).

But I didn't want to risk my preferred parking place for the rest of the month and besides, how can it be a quid pro quo if I stage a phone call and write it in big sharpie notes after getting caught?

This will be a lot of work for our TD host. I at least refrained from naming myself as a famous jazz musician just because everytime I hit a wrong note, I claim it is a "jazz" note.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm Thanks John Boy, for the quiz. And thanks, Penguin for all the advice. I considered opening your spoiler because rule 6 doesn't say anything about previewing or purloining proffered Penguin propositions :).

I like to feel I'm one of the cetera.
alamble

Post by alamble »

It's a little unfortunate that this didn't end up being TD 435, but that would probably only matter to the locals.

I hesitate to admit this, but there is one suburb in question 6 that I couldn't puzzle out until just now, and I am officially a moron. :lol:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alamble wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm I hesitate to admit this, but there is one suburb in question 6 that I couldn't puzzle out until just now, and I am officially a moron. :lol:
I think I left four or more, so I'm an eg-nor-a-moose.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alamble wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm It's a little unfortunate that this didn't end up being TD 435, but that would probably only matter to the locals.

I hesitate to admit this, but there is one suburb in question 6 that I couldn't puzzle out until just now, and I am officially a moron. :lol:
yeah, like that isn't now a sheep magnet. sheep if you do, singleton if you don't :(
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:54 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm Thanks John Boy, for the quiz. And thanks, Penguin for all the advice. I considered opening your spoiler because rule 6 doesn't say anything about previewing or purloining proffered Penguin propositions :).

I like to feel I'm one of the cetera.
Peter?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

That "famous jazz musician" question is going to be interesting... Are you going with the "he has a Wiki page" definition of famous? :D
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:32 pm That "famous jazz musician" question is going to be interesting... Are you going with the "he has a Wiki page" definition of famous? :D
I'm accepting any reasonable answer.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Updating with list of current entrants:

Entrants:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
gwallace2
casketromance
Gamawire
Floridagator
True North
Opus the Penguin
uncapitalized
alamble
RougeGod
clt013
Sensei CAY
AFRET CMS
jsm378
twelvefootboy
merica
Allison
MollyQMurphy
MattKnowles
lefty
blueoncemoon
Rackme32
bmwhitehead
Peachbox
cthulhu
threearruda
econgator
Woof
coach P
squarekara
Last edited by Ironhorse on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bump
spell4yr

Re: TD 436 - Kansas City (entries closed)

Post by spell4yr »

I submitted my responses yesterday morning, but I’m not on the list. Did they not go through?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:27 am Updating with list of current entrants:

Entrants:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
gwallace2
casketromance
Gamawire
Floridagator
True North
Opus the Penguin
uncapitalized
alamble
RougeGod
clt013
Sensei CAY
AFRET CMS
jsm378
twelvefootboy
merica
Allison
MollyQMurphy
MattKnowles
lefty
blueoncemoon
Rackme32
bmwhitehead
Peachbox
cthulhu
threearruda
econgator
Woof
coach P
squarekara
spell4yr
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: TD 436 - Kansas City (entries closed)

Post by Ironhorse »

spell4yr wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:04 pm I submitted my responses yesterday morning, but I’m not on the list. Did they not go through?
I do have yours.