Tuesday, December 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ran WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS and SPEAK TO ME OF FRUITS & VEGETABLES, including a random pre-call of "raspberry" in the latter category. Picked up the $1200 lach trash Pritzker prize and turned it into $4800 by the end of the game--still only good enough for 3rd place from the fourth podium.

I'll check the box that says "I had Tuesday's FJ clue before Alex stopped reading." I'd also get it off just "1970 Best Picture" but maybe not before the end of the clue. I have to sort through them around the turn of that decade. Oliver!, Midnight Cowboy, Patton, and The French Connection all kind of bunch up together. But I know they come between In the Heat of the Night (1967) and The Godfather (1972) and I have those years down cold. So that's exactly four years in between and, once I list them all, I know the order.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 am My Film is .767 so no way I'm not joining Ben for an insta-write on that one. 1970 Best Picture Oscar winner? Please, writers.
I had that response down faster than crap through a goose
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Oh, to see someone I actually know on the show! I worked with Shane’s Dad for 20+ years and Shane had an internship in our organization. I was rooting for him but I do like the current champ too. Easy boards today although I did miss the last 3 Shark-uterie clues. Oh well. My own Dad took us all to see Patton at a drive-in theater & I don’t remember much about it other than it won a bunch of AAs for 1970.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

talkingaway wrote: Yup, got it, even if literally the only thing I know about the movie Patton is George C. Scott and the visual image of him in front of an American flag. Although, looking at the nominee list, if you forgot who won and who lost, and were just looking for military movies, MASH would be a tempting neg - it lost to Patton. The next military-themed movie after Patton to be nominated (and win) was The Deer Hunter in 1978, which was too far after Patton to make me even think of it. Same for Apocalypse Now (which was nominated in 1979, but lost.) I guess another reasonable answer would be In the Heat of the Night - it won in 1967, and it's a police drama, but I don't really think of cops "ten-hut"ting to attention.
Instaget for me, as well.
The only alternative choice (for someone that might not know it cold) that came to my mind during the music was Tora, Tora, Tora. That film was not as popular with critics, and maybe considered too long for Best Picture worthyness. It's always been a favorite of mine.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I blanked so hard on FJ despite having made a point to watch Oscar-winning films AND playing the Sporcle Best Picture Winner quizzes multiple times (was my last play really on Dec. 19, 2017!?)

Also flubbed JQ Adams, so I know what I have to do when The Call comes...

On the AWARDS DD, I first thought NAACP but then focused on Human Rights, thought about the UN and Amnesty International but was racking my brain for the name of another well-known Human Rights organization (turns out I was trying to come up with Human Rights Campaign)

Yay! 5-time winner!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:08 pm My kids and I were just talking about the FJ movie last night. In honor of the late Carroll Spinney, we put on "Follow that Bird" on DVD, and Oscar the Grouch does a pre-title parody of the FJ movie's opening.
I always think of this scene [slight nsfw language]
https://youtu.be/Kmq9AkthgB0
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:13 pm
True North wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pmInstaget FJ, one of the easiest in recent memory.
If you've heard of Patton, which I don't think I have.
Bobby’s right. I too had no idea that Patton was a movie and I couldn’t think about what movie the clue was talking about. Then again, I showed my dad that same clue and it was an instaget for him (Then again, he was familiar w/ that film and watched it at least once.).
It's the end of the journey that counts.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Oh, an congrats to Jennifer for winning five games! 🎉 :D
It's the end of the journey that counts.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm
I know they tell the contestants to "think of your score as points, not dollars", which is true MOST of the time...but since it's a lock, she's wagering real money.
Who is "they"? Do you know this from firsthand or reliable sources that the show staff offers this advice? It makes sense to help them in gameplay, but I would hope the contestants understand the second part of your statement, which is one of my soapbox issues.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm If you think your odds are under 50%, a 0 wager is actually the smartest wager - and, even if it's near 50, it's okay to be stingy with wagers. Even if I'd just won nearly $150,000 on a game show, I'd think twice about plopping $1000 on red vs black on a roulette wheel without green slots.
THIS! I liken it to meeting someone at the mall who offers to bet me double or nothing on a question of their (damn English for not having a gender neutral third person possessive) choosing from a category which may or may not accurately describe the question (the recent VP one was really a Presidential question in disguise). Am I taking $1000 out of my wallet? Maybe, if I just made $30K in 30 minutes. $10K? Nah, I'll just play 30 more minutes and earn it in the first ten :

Some boardies think this FJ was too easy and only needed the year. I was pretty sure of it, but would not have been surprised to be wrong. Without the year, it would have been ungettable. Too many war movies, too many Oscars.

Congrats, Jennifer.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

RobW wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:10 pm
Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:27 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:22 am I got it on 1970, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Yes. Best Picture winners are up there with US Presidents and world capitals that you absolutely should try to get down for Jeopardy, or really trivia in general, purposes. Giving the year turned this from more of a puzzle it out to a straight read and react question.
I never did learn them ALL, but knew 1970 pretty quick because of Patton's notable refusal to accept it.
Scott

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 pm
No guess on FJ! "Patton" is completely unfamiliar to me.
When you get a look at the mush that used to be your best friend's face, you'll remember.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:01 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm
I know they tell the contestants to "think of your score as points, not dollars", which is true MOST of the time...but since it's a lock, she's wagering real money.
Who is "they"? Do you know this from firsthand or reliable sources that the show staff offers this advice? It makes sense to help them in gameplay, but I would hope the contestants understand the second part of your statement, which is one of my soapbox issues.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm If you think your odds are under 50%, a 0 wager is actually the smartest wager - and, even if it's near 50, it's okay to be stingy with wagers. Even if I'd just won nearly $150,000 on a game show, I'd think twice about plopping $1000 on red vs black on a roulette wheel without green slots.
THIS! I liken it to meeting someone at the mall who offers to bet me double or nothing on a question of their (damn English for not having a gender neutral third person possessive) choosing from a category which may or may not accurately describe the question (the recent VP one was really a Presidential question in disguise). Am I taking $1000 out of my wallet? Maybe, if I just made $30K in 30 minutes. $10K? Nah, I'll just play 30 more minutes and earn it in the first ten :

Some boardies think this FJ was too easy and only needed the year. I was pretty sure of it, but would not have been surprised to be wrong. Without the year, it would have been ungettable. Too many war movies, too many Oscars.

Congrats, Jennifer.
The "they" is show staff, and I thought I read it somewhere buried here or on a reliable blog - definitely NOT firsthand experience!! I doubt I could retrace my source, but even if it were an old source, I think it's sound advice. Reminding the contestants to "play to win" is not only sound advice - it makes the game more exciting (and makes my TV less likely to have a remote control thrown at it).

The one interesting quirk in J! is that there aren't gigantic pay leaps like there are (oh, wait..."like there were") on Millionaire. If you knew your FJ! knowledge was about 53% accurate, it's not a completely awful thing to wager your "mad money" (ie money that would still keep you in "runaway" position), but it's okay to stand pat, too. I felt frustrated but understood contestants on Millionaire who won, say, $100K, and had used a 50-50 to get to two options for the next question, one worth $50K and one worth $250K. Statistics say to bet - the EV is $150K. But the marginal value of $150K on top of $100K may be less than that of the $50K on top of $50K, and I understand contestants standing pat in that situation.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Pritzker Prize, (Amnesty International)
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got the FJ right. I'm familiar with some Oscars stuff from 1970 and beyond.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

“Phenomenons”? Really???
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OldSchoolChamp wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 am “Phenomenons”? Really???
Ha! We noticed that and then I forgot to mention it. I had to rewind to make sure it was still there on second look.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Instaget FJ for me, but I did need the dialogue to assist. Given just the year, it would have been a guess between a couple of films.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Leander wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am Instaget FJ for me, but I did need the dialogue to assist. Given just the year, it would have been a guess between a couple of films.
Same. The years blend together for me when it comes to this category, but having it narrowed down to a military film was helpful.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

billiej wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:57 am
Leander wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am Instaget FJ for me, but I did need the dialogue to assist. Given just the year, it would have been a guess between a couple of films.
Same. The years blend together for me when it comes to this category, but having it narrowed down to a military film was helpful.
same for me...when i saw the year i first thought the french connection, but then i saw the military jargon and knew it had to be patton
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Even having the movies (mostly) memorized, I would be leery of a question that was just '1970 Best Picture winner'. I've seen too many arguments of the form 'That movie came out in year X, but it won the Oscar in year X+1!' J! might have a well-established rule on this matter, but I'm not a J! pro.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

OldSchoolChamp wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 am “Phenomenons”? Really???
At least they aren't saying "a phenomena" yet. I see that one all the time.
I'm smart and I want respect.