Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Hugo Z wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm
And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
Hallelujah and amen for a Monty Python fan (no matter if it was the right answer). Happy Holidays to you, sir!!

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

(sorry...thought I was having trouble submitting this, and inadvertently duplicated it. never mind. move along. nothing to see here.)

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:10 am

Christine bet 920, 1118, 624 and 8223 in four wagering opportunities. She went 1/4 on big clues and that is a tough way to win. Dave was lucky to escape from third place thanks to his sole solve.
Correction: "thanks to his sole solve and that misbegotten FJ wager from the champ (who would have won a second game with any wager $799 or below)"

In Cleveland we were also preempted. God bless the archivists for all you do.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:56 am
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:10 am

Christine bet 920, 1118, 624 and 8223 in four wagering opportunities. She went 1/4 on big clues and that is a tough way to win. Dave was lucky to escape from third place thanks to his sole solve.
Correction: "thanks to his sole solve and that misbegotten FJ wager from the champ (who would have won a second game with any wager $799 or below)"
What's frustrating is that Rodolfo wagered perfectly on Tuesday's game, leaving enough money on the table to keep Kirby locked out. It's as if getting FJ right in that game caused him to throw caution to the wind in this one (an inversion of "once bitten, twice shy"). Or perhaps he felt he had to be aggressive because the third place lock wager could not get him ahead of the leader this time? If he had only wagered $2,979 to get $1 ahead of Christine's pre-FJ score, he would have beaten Dave by $3 (which makes me wonder about whether Dave had such a wager in mind for Rodolfo and just screwed up his math to the tune of a few dollars).

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

WLS-TV in Chicago normally shows a year-old rerun at 2:05am but will show the previous day's current show there if it was pre-empted. But yesterday, they pre-empted the new show and showed the year-old one at 2:05am. So no idea what they did with the 12/18 show. They pre-empt so often for trivial news (not that yesterday was trivial but frequently they pre-empt to report that something that was expected to happen did happen as scheduled which IMHO is not something that requires a pre-emption) that I really wish they'd give up the rights to a station that actually will commit to running it.

jbreynolds
Contributor

Post by jbreynolds »

lstone19 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 am
WLS-TV in Chicago normally shows a year-old rerun at 2:05am but will show the previous day's current show there if it was pre-empted. But yesterday, they pre-empted the new show and showed the year-old one at 2:05am. So no idea what they did with the 12/18 show.
According to their web site, they showed it on their LiveWell subchannel (7-2 OTA).

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by yclept »

I only was able to record DJ because I didn’t hear about the LiveWell channel change until 7:12. From what I saw, weird DD wagers and an overall sloppy DJ round which lead to a low winning score due to a solve FJ solve. I commented to my wife that I wouldn’t have been disappointed if ABC NY decided to just not let this show air anywhere!

That said, I am actually a proponent of strange DD wagers that make sense if you are strong at math. Maybe it will throw someone off in FJ if you are sitting there with $16,373 when they are trying to calculate their FJ wager. Who knows?

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else, like Rodolfo, think the term for a superfluous person was "third wheel" rather than "fifth wheel?" Seems like I've heard third wheel used much more often in this context. To me a fifth wheel is a trailer that is pulled using a connection in the bed of a pickup truck.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:11 am
Anyone else, like Rudolfo, think the term for a superfluous person was "third wheel" rather than "fifth wheel?" Seems like I've heard third wheel used much more often in this context. To me a fifth wheel is a trailer that is pulled using a connection in the bed of a pickup truck.
I can't say what I would have reached "fifth" as opposed to "third" in J!-time, since I played online. I've heard both expressions, but the talk about carriages moved me to 5 before I clicked to reveal the answer. I can't say I'm all that surprised about the "third wheel" neg, and I have probably heard that phrase more often - ie in the context of a single friend joining a married/dating couple for dinner.

That said, I also remember a really crappy late-night syndicated dating show called The Fifth Wheel back around 2000. Four strangers meet up on a date, and then a fifth person is added to the mix, with some date swapping or something like that. There was voting at the end, which makes me thing it was actually created post-Survivor, because people really liked the innovative idea of "voting off losers" concept that Survivor started.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Anyone else, like Rudolfo, think the term for a superfluous person was "third wheel" rather than "fifth wheel?" Seems like I've heard third wheel used much more often in this context. To me a fifth wheel is a trailer that is pulled using a connection in the bed of a pickup truck.
Apparently 'fifth wheel' is right
https://grammarist.com/idiom/fifth-whee ... ird-wheel/

M-W even has an entry for it: https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... th%20wheel but nothing for third wheel

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I can see why they wouldn't accept "third wheel" due to the wording of the clue, just pointing out that I feel like that's the more common usage nowadays.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

brick wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 pm
Or if someone wants to IM me a link.
Not the full episode, but a snippet of it. Baskin Robbins category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU45oP6_YLU
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.0k games
Alpaca Farm: 1508 quizzes

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:36 am
I can see why they wouldn't accept "third wheel" due to the wording of the clue, just pointing out that I feel like that's the more common usage nowadays.
I negged with "third wheel" as well (poll request!!) but upon further research, the definition of "carriage" includes the term "four-wheeled vehicle" - so the wording of the clue pins it to "fifth".

billiej

Post by billiej »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Anyone else, like Rodolfo, think the term for a superfluous person was "third wheel" rather than "fifth wheel?" Seems like I've heard third wheel used much more often in this context. To me a fifth wheel is a trailer that is pulled using a connection in the bed of a pickup truck.
I did the same, although I realize from the clue "third wheel" doesn't really make sense. But I agree, it's the more common phrase.

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm on the west coast, so the political theater didn't interrupt the J! airing for me.

I stayed clam initially on the 3rd/5th wheel clue. The description sounded like what I've always known as a 3rd wheel. But that didn't make sense for a carriage. Never heard the phrase 5th wheel in that context. I'll claim it on the rebound, having the choice narrowed down sufficiently. I'll second the poll request.

We had a holly bush in our backyard growing up. But it was definitely a bush - no more than 2 to 3 feet high. So it never entered my mind as a tree. Went with fir, figuring it was likely too generic a term. Better than a blank page, I suppose.
--Peter

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hugo Z wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:01 pm
squarekara wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:36 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
https://youtu.be/mBcTXBhYzfM
There ya go.
One problem: the larch isn't evergreen. It's one of three deciduous conifers that I know of, along with the Dawn Redwood and Bald Cypress. This was driven home to me in a funny way: I was visiting some friends in Montana in October and, driving to their house, I passed entire hillsides covered with browning conifers. Shocked, I asked my friends what was wrong with all those trees and they laughingly told me that they were Tamaracks (Western Larches) losing their needles in the Fall.

ETA: I see Kirk beat me to it. No surprise there.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hugo Z wrote:
Not sure if I would have come up it in September, when they likely taped this, but the English Yuletide song "The Holly and The Ivy" gave me an educated guess.

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

jbreynolds wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:58 am
lstone19 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 am
WLS-TV in Chicago normally shows a year-old rerun at 2:05am but will show the previous day's current show there if it was pre-empted. But yesterday, they pre-empted the new show and showed the year-old one at 2:05am. So no idea what they did with the 12/18 show.
According to their web site, they showed it on their LiveWell subchannel (7-2 OTA).
Where on their website did you find that? I had the page where they post those notes bookmarked but they don't seem to put them there anymore.

What time did they show it on it? 3:30? Or some other time. I try to have my TiVo set to record all the times they might show it.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

For the people who weren't able to see the episode. It is currently on DailyMotion.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pc7jj
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 132.0k games
Alpaca Farm: 1508 quizzes

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Lefty wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:02 am
I thought the Larch was a Dr. Seuss creature. I did think of Yew as English (longbow and all), but they'd more likely have used that on St. Crispin's Day.
Is it appropriate to wish someone a Merry Crispin while decorating the yew tree?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.