Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS & INNOVATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Stuck with 260 tons of unused turkey in late 1953, this company ordered aluminum trays & sold 10 million units of a new item in 1954

Karen Farrell: 18400-1600=16800 (4x = $74,401)
Susan Stoltzfus: 7000+6799=13799
Bill Coulter: 100+0=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Swanson [Swanson’s is fine also] (Karen – Butterball)

Daily Doubles
Bill: 2200+2200
Karen: 8800-2000
Bill: 6000-5900

Coryats
Karen: 20400
Susan: 7000
Bill: 4400

Combined: 31,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Karen: 3600
Susan: 3400
Bill: 6400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex was with probably with the players in not knowing the Charlie musician pictured if it was not on his answer sheet while there was audible tittering from the audience that the clue was a stumper.

Learning about such people when they mentor on The Voice helps keep me on the audience side of the ledger for such things while sometimes I don't get it quite right such as having to take a neg with Patten in missing the needed L.

Bill took the hammer on DD3 where just guess a woman perhaps could have been enough for him to win the game. Guesses are allowed on DDs.

The FJ! category had me hoping for some modern thing that had registered enough on my radar to make a guess. The clue was turn back the clock and had me joining a crossing out with Bill. I understood the clue, but had to play coin toss on the company. I wrote the first three letters of the correct name and doubted myself, switching to the B competitor. I looked at it and thought that's not right. I switched back to save the day. And end of the year on a good note. [Wipes Brows] Missing that would have bugged me into next year.

Susan played no DDs so did not have enough money to take the game from 2nd on Karen's miss. It was obvious from Alex's remarks in dealing with Susan that Karen had a miss coming before revealing her response.

Karen is 5th on the Tracker and can save herself tumbling down step by step to possibly off, with any kind of victory tomorrow.

My comment about the 20K over/under line for Karen's Coryat made the play an over as Karen got clue 28 for $400.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Another day, another baby boomer lay-up. If you didn't grow up in the era this company dominated the market, it might be tough to differentiate it from all the others that followed in its wake.
Oh, and Karen is a lovely and talented contestant, but her timid FJ wagers are beginning to get on my nerves. Is there a category that would cause her to cut loose, just once?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's a boingboing post I found reminiscing about the original* Swanson dinner:

https://boingboing.net/2016/10/03/thing ... on-tv.html

*not original original, more like the 1960s and '70s updates
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am Another day, another baby boomer lay-up. If you didn't grow up in the era this company dominated the market, it might be tough to differentiate it from all the others that followed in its wake.
Not a boomer (late GenX) but this one was easy peasy for me.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am Oh, and Karen is a lovely and talented contestant, but her timid FJ wagers are beginning to get on my nerves. Is there a category that would cause her to cut loose, just once?
In her locks she hasn’t had a ton of room, but most contestants don’t have the psychological makeup to do so. Naturally, if she’s not confident, she should wager $0.

When it gets on your nerves, ask yourself this - Have you ever wagered $1000 or more on anything? Most have not.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am Oh, and Karen is a lovely and talented contestant, but her timid FJ wagers are beginning to get on my nerves. Is there a category that would cause her to cut loose, just once?
In her locks she hasn’t had a ton of room, but most contestants don’t have the psychological makeup to do so. Naturally, if she’s not confident, she should wager $0.

When it gets on your nerves, ask yourself this - Have you ever wagered $1000 or more on anything? Most have not.
To me it's champ's choice in a lock game. 0 up to insuring winning by a dollar and in between. As a viewer my preference is a bet of something though not caring at all whether Karen today bet 1600 or 4399.

In winning 4 games Karen has a wagering average of 2,120 and it would be lower if she had known the Russian ship on Friday's DD3 when the miss tightened the game.

cheezguyty: Can you find a person after their 4th win (before playing game 5) with a lower DD+FJ wagering average?
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:54 pm

To me it's champ's choice in a lock game. 0 up to insuring winning by a dollar and in between. As a viewer my preference is a bet of something though not caring at all whether Karen today bet 1600 or 4399.
I was intrigued when I heard Buzzy's explanation of his habit of $0 FJ bets (and joke responses!) when he had a runaway:

(paraphrased from his appearance on Austin Rogers's podcast...)

I didn't want to waste an ounce of mental energy on math, or even thinking about the question. I preferred to "rest up" for the next game that was just a few minutes away...
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Coryat: $31,000

40 R (1 DD), 2 W. Said Isabel Allende instead of Neruda, couldn't come up with Theresa May.

FJ--Instaget.

LT: Operation, Brinks, Caltech, Dearborn, Cleveland, Brian Mulroney, Public Enemy, Rachel Platten, Kansas
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

She's bet as much as 3000 on a DD. Just wondering why she's getting conservative in a no-lose situation.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:47 pm

She's bet as much as 3000 on a DD. Just wondering why she's getting conservative in a no-lose situation.
The $3k is not real money, her lock Fj wagers are.

What’s the most real money you’ve wagered on a single outcome?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:04 am Alex was with probably with the players in not knowing the Charlie musician pictured if it was not on his answer sheet while there was audible tittering from the audience that the clue was a stumper.
I had no clue who either of the pictured people were.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $33,600 (43R, 3W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Conversely to yesterday, I liked the DJ! categories but didn't do as well as I thought I would. $3k worth of negs didn't help.

Happy New Year everyone!
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $37,200 (43R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Operation, Brinks, Caltech, Charlie Puth, Dearborn, Brian Mulroney, Public Enemy, Pablo Neruda (DD), Kansas, Loyalist

Big Lach Trash day, over $10k not including the DD.

The Colours category completely threw me, had no idea on any of them except for the gimme at the top of the column.

Flubbed territorial, went for international instead (fit the category, but not the clue).

Should’ve gone 3/3 on DDs, would’ve guessed May if I was standing up there, but on my couch I clammed.

Instaget FJ.

Happy New Year!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Jeers to the contestants for not knowing Cleveland
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Change one letter in "royalist" for a synonymous anti-Revolutionary? That just seemed...easy to me, and definitely not a normal TS, but I'll take the rare Lach Trash when I can get it. Of course, I was stumped on Teresa May, so...it's easy when you know it.

I'm supposed to know that Chicago has zip codes 60601-60827, and/or is the third most populous city in the US - for a top row clue? We're gonna need a "talkingaway education thread" if this keeps up.

I'm a young Gen-Xer ('77), so the FJ! question wasn't a "I knew this from my own memory", but an "I should have known this from my parents telling me about the first frozen TV dinners" memory. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong company, and went with Birds Eye, because those are the frozen peas I buy. Oops.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:07 pm I'm supposed to know that Chicago has zip codes 60601-60827, and/or is the third most populous city in the US - for a top row clue?
Yes, you should know what city comes after NY and LA (and before Houston).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

So evidently Charlie Puth is some judge on The Voice. Seriously, writers, WGAF? :x
Swanson is the go-to name for TV dinners, but I wasn't sure how big a player they were in the turkey market. Got it anyway.
Disappointed that no one got Manhattan KS.