Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SINGLE-NAMED PERFORMERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last single-named actress to win an Oscar was this woman who won for her supporting role in “Precious”

Karen Farrell: 16800+3601=20401 (5x = $94,802)
Val Marsden Fitzhugh: 10200+10198=20398
Shane Hopkin: 6200-4001=2199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mo’Nique [Monique is what Karen & Val had.] (Shane – Cher)

Daily Doubles
Val: 2600+2600
Val: 5600-3000
Karen: 12000+2000

Coryats
Karen: 16800
Val: 11600
Shane: 6200

Combined: 34,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Karen: 6000
Val: 6000
Shane: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Easy TS to smell coming: The county highlighted on the Nevada map where LV is located.

Val came charging out of the gate hot with: 600+600+600+800+2600+800 before her opponents were heard from. Val's two category lead was greatly narrowed at the first break when it was 5000-4200-2600

The FJ! category had me precall Cher and Madonna. I stopped the precall game when Topol occurred to me.

The FJ! clue had me ready to write Cher though before my pen could move I saw the end of the clue. You give the movie, I darned well should be able to identify the one-named performer who won an Oscar. After I was done locking in the correct response I knew there was an apostrophe in there somewhere while not knowing where to put it. Realizing it would not matter for J! purposes made for a very relaxing 30 seconds of music.

If the clue had been: The last single-named actress to win an Oscar was this woman who won for her supporting role in a 2009 movie

That clue would have easily eliminated Cher while making the solvers work harder. I'm glad I don't have to worry whether I would have solved that version or not.

Solid key 5th win by Karen to make sure 2020 will have a woman win a 5th game or more.

The calendar year 2019 only:
Spoiler
Jennifer Quail
2018: Rachel Lindgren
2017: Lisa Schlitt
2016: Cindy Stowell
2015: Kerry Greene & Kristin Sausville
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FJ: Yeah, that information was nowhere to be found in any deep, dark recess of my brain.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:15 am FJ: Yeah, that information was nowhere to be found in any deep, dark recess of my brain.
Not able to Push out the right response, eh?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

So much for the Holzhauer effect, eh? Of all the five-game winners after him, the only one who has distinguished himself as an aggressive wagerer has been Sam Kavanaugh.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:15 am FJ: Yeah, that information was nowhere to be found in any deep, dark recess of my brain.

Same here, even when spotted the film.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Stupid hockey game. At least my local affiliate reruns the show at 4:30 am the following morning. So I'll get to see all the games and just be a day behind for the rest of the week.
brick

Post by brick »

Interesting. I thought providing the movie title was too much.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm sure I've heard of Mo'Nique, but I know I've never heard of the movie "Precious". There was a zero percent chance of me coming up with her. Cher and Madonna were the only two actresses I was going to come up with and I picked Cher.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the "Attack on Titan" page shown for the manga, not anime clue. I only read on Reddit and saw that someone wanted to see it if anyone wants to share. Spoiler because of size:
Spoiler

I trust that J! did not use any cussing in the clue?
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $37,200 (45R, 0W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: San Marino, Clark County, few, Colombo, San Jose

A tale of two rounds. Missed only three clues in J (2 in Pharaohs and one in Where Ya From?), then in DJ got shut out in Literary New Year and would’ve been as well in TV Tough Guys if not for Kojak. Not having streaming services hurts for modern TV.

Another instaget FJ, I remember that film for the super long official name (Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It was pretty blatant that Johnny wasn't in the studio, as Clay Jacobsen managed to get his empty podium in the shot. Usually they hide that.

Of all categories, I ran "Toot".

I knew George Eliot = Middlemarch on my contestant test in July, but it's apparently fallen back out of my head since then.

0/5 in Literary New Year. Can't say I've heard of "Rosemary's Baby".

Kojak was the only name I recognized in that Tough Guys category. NHO "Barry" and it seems way too obscure for a top box clue.

No guess on FJ! NHO the correct response.

Lach Trash: few, grizzly bear
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $36200 (43R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Couldn't pull George Takei or Patrick Leahy, both of which I would have gotten 90+% of the time.

I counted "unique" as right for DD1 because I can't see why it is wrong. If someone can tease it out, I'll mark it wrong.

FJ... I had no friggin' idea. I've been putting my nose to the grindstone studying movies but it almost feels like a moving target. In reality, I just don't think I have a great sense of what constitutes J!-worthiness in the entertainment fields.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm Can't say I've heard of "Rosemary's Baby".
You really should learn to use the search function...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5050&p=300241&hilit ... ry#p300241
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4209&p=251310&hilit ... ry#p251310
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I precalled Sting LOL. Nevertheless, instaget FJ from my couch. Oscar winner drilling goes a long way.

Congrats to Karen on win #5. She's been fun to watch, and looks like a solid mid-level ToC player.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 pm I counted "unique" as right for DD1 because I can't see why it is wrong. If someone can tease it out, I'll mark it wrong.
I counted it as a "no harm, no foul" at first, but I think I'm giving myself credit. I looked it up in Merriam's Thesaurus online, and it goes both ways in terms of synonyms, and the "uni-" prefix literally means the word "one". In fact, that's why it's incorrect to say something is "very unique" - it's like saying someone is "very pregnant" - something is either unique/one-of-a-kind, or not unique. There's no in-between.

Another question for the JBoard judges: Gabriel's...horn? There's a phrase (I guess it's a song?) "Gabriel go blow your horn", so that's what I went with. Nothing in the clue disqualified horn. Is there some subtlety that I'm missing?

I just got Mo'Nique (sans apostrophe) written down under the Think! time. My brain was whirring. I knew it wasn't Gab Sid (knew the full name, not going to attempt to butcher the spelling), and had to dig deeper. Mariah? No, she's not a mononymic figure, even if "Mariah" is enough for most people to know who you're talking about. Then, I got Mo'Nique's face. Could NOT get the name. Then..."Unique" came to me, but that's the name of a transgender character on "Glee". Finally, I got to Mo'Nique right before the "BONG BONG" of the theme.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there a reason anyone should know Mo'nique? She only gets six other Archive hits, of which only one (a $600 clue from 2011) required her as the correct response. She doesn't seem to have done anything noteworthy after Precious either.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:16 pm Is there a reason anyone should know Mo'nique? She only gets six other Archive hits, of which only one (a $600 clue from 2011) required her as the correct response. She doesn't seem to have done anything noteworthy after Precious either.
1. Karen got $20,401 today.
2. Karen did not leave with the 2nd place $2,000 prize today.
3. Karen is guaranteed at least $1,000 tomorrow.
4. Karen is going to get at least $5,000 in the ToC.
5. Karen got to solve a FJ! clue that stumped a lot of Jane & John Americans today.

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_yJe2wN5o

Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?