Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed TV Title Tough Guys $800 and $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: San Marino, Clark County, Few, George Eliot, Nick Hornby, (Bridget Jones), Grizzly Bear, Colombo, San Jose
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Remembered Mo'Nique after hearing the correct response, but no way I was going to pull that in 30 seconds
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I paused for a generous amount of time on the Colombo clue in O is the Only Vowel and still couldn't pull it. Even with 30 seconds, I wasn't getting there

I've never heard of Gwen Stacey and nobody cares, so let's all just forget I mentioned it!

Rosemary's Baby is a classic. Finally got around to reading the book (plus The Exorcist and The Shining). Good stuff!

Not a good sign: blanked on both Clark County and Nick Hornby - stuff that comes up ALL THE TIME on J!

Karen keeps winning
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:34 pm See? For once I'm not the only one claiming NHOI here.
Watched the Oscars that year and remembered marveling at the length of the official title of the movie, so I'm sure I've heard of her. Couldn't recall it, so I might as well not heard of her. But I don't complain about other people knowing things I don't.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

Continue to be impressed with Karen. I’ll be surprised if this FJ polls over 50%. I kept thinking “a gemstone...a gemstone...Emerald?”; on the right track but the gemstone connection turned out to be the writer, not the supporting actress, and I had the wrong gemstone. Sigh. A good sole get by Karen.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cthulhu wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:39 am Continue to be impressed with Karen. I’ll be surprised if this FJ polls over 50%. I kept thinking “a gemstone...a gemstone...Emerald?”; on the right track but the gemstone connection turned out to be the writer, not the supporting actress, and I had the wrong gemstone. Sigh. A good sole get by Karen.
Not everyone specifically posted whether they got the clue or not. Going off patterns and reputation I have it around 7/21 for 33%. Under 50% looks certain and I go ahead and say under 40%. The clue already gave the movie and even if the clue had shown the actress I don't think it would have made much difference.

One nice thing about the clue was no year to avoid that dreaded tug of war that many want to engage in of movie's release year vs. nomination/award winning year.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:51 am
cthulhu wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:39 am Continue to be impressed with Karen. I’ll be surprised if this FJ polls over 50%. I kept thinking “a gemstone...a gemstone...Emerald?”; on the right track but the gemstone connection turned out to be the writer, not the supporting actress, and I had the wrong gemstone. Sigh. A good sole get by Karen.
Not everyone specifically posted whether they got the clue or not. Going off patterns and reputation I have it around 7/21 for 33%. Under 50% looks certain and I go ahead and say under 40%. The clue already gave the movie and even if the clue had shown the actress I don't think it would have made much difference.

One nice thing about the clue was no year to avoid that dreaded tug of war that many want to engage in of movie's release year vs. nomination/award winning year.
J! is 100% right on that tug-of-war. In 2 months, the Oscars for 2019 are being awarded. AMPAS' website itself has them listed that way. Google can be wrong....which the media apparently didn't recognize when they ran the story during the whole "Patton/1970" fiasco.
billiej

Post by billiej »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:11 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 pm I counted "unique" as right for DD1 because I can't see why it is wrong. If someone can tease it out, I'll mark it wrong.
I counted it as a "no harm, no foul" at first, but I think I'm giving myself credit. I looked it up in Merriam's Thesaurus online, and it goes both ways in terms of synonyms, and the "uni-" prefix literally means the word "one". In fact, that's why it's incorrect to say something is "very unique" - it's like saying someone is "very pregnant" - something is either unique/one-of-a-kind, or not unique. There's no in-between.

Oh good, I guess my "unique" answer, well, wasn't. :D

I've heard of Precious, heard of Mo'nique, but it just wasn't being pulled from the recesses of my brain on this day. :(
davey

Post by davey »

billiej wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:05 am
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:08 pm I counted "unique" as right for DD1 because I can't see why it is wrong. If someone can tease it out, I'll mark it wrong.
I counted it as a "no harm, no foul" at first, but I think I'm giving myself credit. I looked it up in Merriam's Thesaurus online, and it goes both ways in terms of synonyms, and the "uni-" prefix literally means the word "one". In fact, that's why it's incorrect to say something is "very unique" - it's like saying someone is "very pregnant" - something is either unique/one-of-a-kind, or not unique. There's no in-between.

In grammar this synonym of "uncommon" refers to a noun pertaining to one entity
I don't often see unique as a noun, but it doesn't take long to find definitions that include noun usages, so I'll grant you that. The problem remains that unique is not a term in grammar...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:56 pm

In grammar this synonym of "uncommon" refers to a noun pertaining to one entity
I don't often see unique as a noun, but it doesn't take long to find definitions that include noun usages, so I'll grant you that. The problem remains that unique is not a term in grammar...
Oooooh, I completely glossed over the "in grammar" part of the clue! Singular as in "not plural". I can't quite do the mental calisthenics to twist "unique" into a grammatical term, so I'm going to chalk it up to negbait and take the L here.

Theoretically, one could guess that the writers might have written the clue without the words "in grammar", and then realized that it wasn't appropriately pinned due to both "singular" and "unique" being acceptable responses. They then might have added "in grammar" to eliminate "unique", shoved it into the bottom row, AND made it a DD to allow for some extra thinking time.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:04 am Easy TS to smell coming: The county highlighted on the Nevada map where LV is located.

Val came charging out of the gate hot with: 600+600+600+800+2600+800 before her opponents were heard from. Val's two category lead was greatly narrowed at the first break when it was 5000-4200-2600
Val was a very good contestant and lots of fun to watch. She was one of the few who has given Karen reason to worry about getting FJ correct. Against many other sets of opponents, Val could have been the champion. This is one where I have to wonder, "Did Val just lose her tenth game in her first appearance?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I've heard of Precious, heard of Mo'nique, but it just wasn't being pulled from the recesses of my brain on this day. :(
I just googled this up to satisfy my own curiosity. According to wcuquad.com, 'She had always known she possessed something that separated her from everyone else. In fact, she added the apostrophe to her name to symbolize her belief that she is “more unique” than one might think.'
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 pm

I just googled this up to satisfy my own curiosity. According to wcuquad.com, 'She had always known she possessed something that separated her from everyone else. In fact, she added the apostrophe to her name to symbolize her belief that she is “more unique” than one might think.'
You mean "more singular".
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 pm I paused for a generous amount of time on the Colombo clue in O is the Only Vowel and still couldn't pull it. Even with 30 seconds, I wasn't getting there
Not even with the "just one more thing..." hint? That was my in there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:14 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 pm I paused for a generous amount of time on the Colombo clue in O is the Only Vowel and still couldn't pull it. Even with 30 seconds, I wasn't getting there
But....Columbo has a "u"! NHO that catchphrase - I'm okay with pop culture, but I'm not much of a mystery person, which seems to be an obsession with J! writers. Ironically, "Who loves ya, baby" and lollipops...yeah, that I'd get.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I do know of Columbo's catch phrase. But not knowing of the city of Colombo, Sri Lanka, I didn't pick up on the TOM.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:14 pm
Ahh. No, I didn’t pick up on that
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm
Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?
Yes, but Charlie Chaplin is an enduring legend of cinema who has done tons and tons of classic films that are still aired to this day. Mo'Nique did one major film that completely disappeared from the public consciousness after Oscar season, and has done literally nothing since.
Peter Finch literally did nothing after winning the Oscar.

I had heard of the movie and knew it had a mostly black cast, but couldn’t pull the right name.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm
Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?
Yes, but Charlie Chaplin is an enduring legend of cinema who has done tons and tons of classic films that are still aired to this day. Mo'Nique did one major film that completely disappeared from the public consciousness after Oscar season, and has done literally nothing since.
Peter Finch literally did nothing after winning the Oscar.
Okay, that's a different situation though. Peter Finch and Heath Ledger both won posthumously, which is something that stands out. I don't see anything about Mo'Nique that stands out and makes her noteworthy in any other way than "Oscar winner". It's like looking at a list of #1 hits on the Hot 100 and comparing the discographies of the artists. And from what I've seen, Mo'Nique seems closer to, say, Gregory Abbott, Timmy T, or Ini Kamoze than to Michael Jackson or Mariah Carey.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was pointing out your misuse of the word “literally”, not a comment on Mo’Niquie’s career since winning the Oscar.