2020 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by billiej »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 am The 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees:

Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Nine inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
T-Rex
I just can’t get enough of these inductees.
So you're going to listen to the music?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:50 am The 2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees:

Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Nine inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
T-Rex
Bang a Gong to announce them
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Masterpiece on PBS has adapted Sanditon, the final, unfinished novel by Jane Austen
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sp ... right-now/
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm Masterpiece on PBS has adapted Sanditon, the final, unfinished novel by Jane Austen
Only one hit in the Archive for that title. I'm surprised.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bruce Springsteen's son is a firefighter: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/us/bruce ... index.html

A writer could springboard that news nugget to a category of CELEBRITY OFFSPRING OCCUPATIONS or THE APPLE FALLS FAR FROM THE TREE
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

billiej wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Nine inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
T-Rex
So you're going to listen to the music?
I'd rather enjoy the silence.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails joins the rather short list of Rock Hall of Famers who've also won Oscars:
*The Beatles
*Isaac Hayes
*Stevie Wonder
*Prince
*David Byrne
*Bruce Springsteen
*Elton John
*Phil Collins
*Bob Dylan
*Randy Newman
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
davey

Post by davey »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm Masterpiece on PBS has adapted Sanditon, the final, unfinished novel by Jane Austen
Only one hit in the Archive for that title. I'm surprised.
Yes, and that clue hinges on Northanger Abbey, not Sanditon.
In addition to its being unfinished, I read that Sanditon is the only Austen work that's never before been adapted for film or TV. That in itself is a factor in reaching the J! canon...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

New Hot 100 #1 is "The Box" by Roddy Ricch. I first heard it a couple of weeks ago, and I considered posting about it then because I could tell it was going to tear things up. Well, it did, but no one'll believe I predicted it.

He also has the number 1 album this week, "Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial".
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I caught the first installment the other day.
To paraphrase Woody Allen, if Jane Austen came back and saw what's going on in her name, she'd never stop throwing up.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

The Walt Disney Company has formally announced it is dropping the legacy Fox name from the studio brands following its acquisition last year of the 20th/21st Century Fox company. The new name for 20th Century Fox will now simply be 20th Century Studios, and the art-house arm Fox Searchlight Pictures will become simply Searchlight Pictures.

Disney has not announced whether films produced under the 20th Century Studios banner will retain the iconic logo fanfare that has played over the opening of 20th Century Fox pictures since 1935.

The 20th Century Fox logo fanfare was composed by Alfred Newman in 1933. In 1953, Newman re-composed the fanfare with an extension to be heard during the CinemaScope logo that would follow after the Fox logo for films made using the new CinemaScope lenses. In 1977, director George Lucas insisted the CinemaScope version be used in Star Wars. John Williams composed the film’s memorable opening theme in the same key as the fanfare: B-flat major.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Hank Azaria has confirmed that he will no longer be doing the voice of Indian-American convenience-store proprietor Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on The Simpsons.

https://www.thewrap.com/hank-azaria-won ... -simpsons/
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Disease to know: coronavirus

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZK2EI
A new coronavirus has emerged from Wuhan, China, with more than 300 cases and at least six deaths linked to the respiratory illness believed to have emerged from animals, but with the ability to transmit person-to-person. The virus has spread beyond China’s borders, raising concerns of a global pandemic.
Same family as SARS and MERS. This one has yet to receive a snappy acronym (initialism?)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame inductees:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/285 ... -hall-fame

Yankees SS Derek Jeter (1 vote shy of unanimous, we must find the heretic)
A 14-time All-Star, Jeter was named American League Rookie of the Year in 1996 and finished in the top 10 of AL MVP balloting eight times, topping out at second in 2006. He scored 100 or more runs 13 times, hit .310 for his career, and ranks sixth all-time with 3,465 career hits. While leading the Yankees to five World Series crowns during his career, Jeter played in a record 158 playoff games -- 33 more than any other player.
Expos/Rockies/Cardinals RF Larry Walker (in his last year of eligibility)
He spent his 17-year career with the Montreal Expos, Colorado Rockies and St. Louis Cardinals, winning the 1997 National League MVP for Colorado. He hit .366 that season with a career-high 49 homers, 130 RBIs and a .720 slugging percentage. Walker won NL batting crowns in 1998 (.363) and 1999 (.372). Known for his athleticism and strong arm, Walker won seven Gold Gloves during his career. Walker's .965 career OPS ranks 15th all-time.
Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds got 61% and 60.7%, respectively.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Terry Jones, co-founder of the comedy troupe Monty Python, has died at the age of 77. Jones was primarily a writer and director for the group, allowing others to take the leading roles in the absurdist sketches and films that Monty Python made famous in the 1970s. He served as co-director with Terry Gilliam on the group's feature film debut, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Jones later directed Monty Python’s Life of Brian, in which he played Mandy Cohen, mother of the titular Brian, and appeared before a crowd to deliver probably his most famous line in a comically squawky voice, “He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”

Jones also wrote the screenplay for the 1986 cult classic Labyrinth, starring David Bowie.

In addition to his work in entertainment, Jones was also a medieval historian who published scholarly books like Chaucer’s Knight: The Portrait of a Medieval Mercenary and hosted various documentary series about medieval life.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RIP Mr. Peanut 1916-2020

This is one when I'm not sure the best source to link as when dealing with Super Bowl ads publicity, there can be misdirection and inaccurate information.

Pick your news source for more about it and to check out the first ad video. Another ad with a funeral is supposed to run on that Sunday.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm RIP Mr. Peanut 1916-2020

This is one when I'm not sure the best source to link as when dealing with Super Bowl ads publicity, there can be misdirection and inaccurate information.

Pick your news source for more about it and to check out the first ad video. Another ad with a funeral is supposed to run on that Sunday.
The first thing I thought of on reading this was an episode of the MTM show.
OCSam
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Jim Lehrer, the longtime anchor of “PBS NewsHour,” has died at the age of 85. Lehrer rose to prominence in the 1970s anchoring “The MacNeil/Lehrer Report” with colleague Robert MacNeil. Lehrer filled the anchor role for nearly four decades. The program was renamed “PBS NewsHour” in 2009.

Lehrer also moderated a total of 12 presidential debates, more than any other person in U.S. history.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Related to the previous news about the coronavirus in China, there's about 7 or 8 blockbuster Chinese movies who have had their release delayed in both China (to mitigate public congregation) and the US (due to contractual obligations that they have to show in China first, or to synchronize the worldwide release, probably):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... is-1272301

Of note, it's the lunar/Chinese New Year this Saturday. The article states that, worldwide, the coming week is the biggest week for movies. The week-long holiday is basically like Chinese Christmas, and given the population of China, this being the biggest movie week worldwide makes perfect sense.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 pm RIP Mr. Peanut 1916-2020
With that cane, top hat, and monocle, he was a one-percenter if I ever saw one. Eat the rich, is probably how he died.