Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9220
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:Oh, and for FJ, I said Henry Deutschendorf Jr.

Judges?

Brian
Of course ... show-off. ;)

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 am
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

ACW wrote:Ghastly J, better FJ, nice job Brooks.

What happens if the game ended in a tie? 4-person finals?

They play a 1-question, categoryless tiebreaker playoff.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8782
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
ACW wrote:Ghastly J, better FJ, nice job Brooks.

What happens if the game ended in a tie? 4-person finals?

They play a 1-question, categoryless tiebreaker playoff.
Not quite categoryless, check out the games linked to the Archive entry for "Tiebreaker Round" (in bpmod's response), they have categories attached to them.
alietr wrote:Yeah, I hate to say it, but Potpourri seemed symptomatic of the writing being off again. A fair number of mis-valued clues, clues where you had no idea what they were looking for ... blecch.
This is what you get when you offload a bunch of unused clues from disparate categories into the catch-all "Potpourri", you're deprived of the original category name and contextual clues. (At least, this is what I've long suspected "Potpourri" was made of)

Judges: For the J! round DD: I said "the Alhambra Mosque". (Granted, the fact that I got "Alhambra" at all was a total ex-recto) - my trip to my friendly neighbourhood Wikipedia shows me that Alhambra isn't a mosque (at least from a 5 second glance at the article), so I'm probably wrong, but I'd like more solid confirmation.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billy pilgrim »

I only say this because Alex has done the following more than once. Tonight during the reveal he goes to Brooks - at that point it's a tie- and shows the correct answer. Then he says "Now did you bet more than a dollar'? He didn't NEED to bet more than a dollar. He needed to bet more than zero.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9220
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: For the J! round DD: I said "the Alhambra Mosque". (Granted, the fact that I got "Alhambra" at all was a total ex-recto) - my trip to my friendly neighbourhood Wikipedia shows me that Alhambra isn't a mosque (at least from a 5 second glance at the article), so I'm probably wrong, but I'd like more solid confirmation.
I don't see anything at wiki or the official site that would support "mosque" being correct.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8782
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Judges: For the J! round DD: I said "the Alhambra Mosque". (Granted, the fact that I got "Alhambra" at all was a total ex-recto) - my trip to my friendly neighbourhood Wikipedia shows me that Alhambra isn't a mosque (at least from a 5 second glance at the article), so I'm probably wrong, but I'd like more solid confirmation.
I don't see anything at wiki or the official site that would support "mosque" being correct.
So in other words I should have shut my mouth after "Alhambra", but before "mosque". :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7312
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Should I know that cuisine is French for kitchen?
Yes. Cocina.

User avatar
Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:32 am
Location: Croton-on-Hudson, NY

MOCK 'EM'S RAZOR

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I took a 50/50 on Lincoln vs. Holland, and like EVERY FREAKING 50/50 I'VE EVER TAKEN, I picked wrong.
Then pick the other choice next time.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8644
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: If you're up way too early, "cocina" looks like "cloaca".

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Should I know that cuisine is French for kitchen?
Yes. Cocina.
Didn't help. I actually did think "well, Spanish is cocina…" but nothing came to mind.
Sage on the Hudson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I took a 50/50 on Lincoln vs. Holland, and like EVERY FREAKING 50/50 I'VE EVER TAKEN, I picked wrong.
Then pick the other choice next time.
I lol'd.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Did you guys notice that every clue in Potpourri was a triple-stumper? Anyone know if this has happened before?
The only time I recall was with Oscar Hosts in the UTOC, so at least there was an excuse for this. Since I (and it appears I'm not alone) went 0fer with them, whoever wrote up that category should be fired.

edit: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=163
As strong a statement as that is, I don't think it's nearly strong enough. For any three contestants at this level to finish the first round with a TOTAL score of barely $5,000 is preposterous. And I said to my wife during one of the numerous stand-and-stare moments, "they're not missing these because they're bad contestants; they're missing them because the clues are ridiculously obscure." (she agreed) I cashed in on a grand total of one TS during this game (ingenue) so I'm certainly not saying I would have done any better.

Whoever wrote the whole first board should be sent to bed without supper.

BTW, Congrats to Brooks on advancing.
Last edited by John Boy on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:Yeah, I hate to say it, but Potpourri seemed symptomatic of the writing being off again. A fair number of mis-valued clues, clues where you had no idea what they were looking for ... blecch.

I spent most of FJ trying to figure out why they would honor him posthumously, but then figured it couldn't be anyone else.
My first, fleeting thought was John Denver. I then proceeded to convince myself it couldn't POSSIBLY be a posthumous honor, and (surprise, surprise) could come up with nothing else. Not a good night.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:
Today's fun John Denver fact ... "Take Me Home Country Roads" was written with the Danoffs ("Afternoon Delight") and was inspired by Clopper Road in Gaithersburg, Maryland (then rather rural, now quite suburban and just off I-270), not anywhere in West Virginia.
I didn't believe this could possibly be correct, as I-270 circles Columbus OH. Just to be sure, I checked Mapquest and found ANOTHER stretch of "I-270" right where you said.

I thought there could be only one interstate with a given number. What's up with this?

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:
alietr wrote:
Today's fun John Denver fact ... "Take Me Home Country Roads" was written with the Danoffs ("Afternoon Delight") and was inspired by Clopper Road in Gaithersburg, Maryland (then rather rural, now quite suburban and just off I-270), not anywhere in West Virginia.
I didn't believe this could possibly be correct, as I-270 circles Columbus OH. Just to be sure, I checked Mapquest and found ANOTHER stretch of "I-270" right where you said.

I thought there could be only one interstate with a given number. What's up with this?
3-digit Interstates are circumferential, radial, or spur routes whose numbers are duplicated along a main (1 or 2 digit) Interstate's run.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8644
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
John Boy wrote: I thought there could be only one interstate with a given number. What's up with this?
3-digit Interstates are circumferential, radial, or spur routes whose numbers are duplicated along a main (1 or 2 digit) Interstate's run.

Brian
And even a few 2-digits are duplicated. For instance, there are two Interstate 76s — one from Denver to western Nebraska, and one from Cincinnati to Philadelphia.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

bpmod wrote:
John Boy wrote:
alietr wrote:
Today's fun John Denver fact ... "Take Me Home Country Roads" was written with the Danoffs ("Afternoon Delight") and was inspired by Clopper Road in Gaithersburg, Maryland (then rather rural, now quite suburban and just off I-270), not anywhere in West Virginia.
I didn't believe this could possibly be correct, as I-270 circles Columbus OH. Just to be sure, I checked Mapquest and found ANOTHER stretch of "I-270" right where you said.

I thought there could be only one interstate with a given number. What's up with this?
3-digit Interstates are circumferential, radial, or spur routes whose numbers are duplicated along a main (1 or 2 digit) Interstate's run.

Brian
I'm very aware that the 3-digit ones aren't the ones that go cross-country the way I-10 and I-90 do. I simply had no idea an interstate number would be duplicated, even if it is at more than one point along a main I.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7463
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Three digit Interstate numbers are reused in different metropolitan area. Even number three digit Interstates are generally circumferential and loop routes (usally rejoining the primary Interstate), while odd numbered ones are spurs that head away from the main Interstate and don't return. I-270 in DC does not seem to follow that pattern, of course.

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:And even a few 2-digits are duplicated. For instance, there are two Interstate 76s — one from Denver to western Nebraska, and one from Cincinnati to Philadelphia.
In most cases, those are highways that are intended to be (or were originally intended to be) connected (to each other) at some point in the future.
John Boy wrote:I'm very aware that the 3-digit ones aren't the ones that go cross-country the way I-10 and I-90 do. I simply had no idea an interstate number would be duplicated, even if it is at more than one point along a main I.
My research tells me something I didn't know: They are not (supposed to be) duplicated within any one US state.
alietr wrote:Three digit Interstate numbers are reused in different metropolitan area. Even number three digit Interstates are generally circumferential and loop routes (usally rejoining the primary Interstate), while odd numbered ones are spurs that head away from the main Interstate and don't return. I-270 in DC does not seem to follow that pattern, of course.
The same with I-190 & I-290 around Buffalo NY. The 190 goes north to Niagara Falls, as would be expected, but the loop around Buffalo is called 190 on the south and west portions, and only the north section is called 290.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9220
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Three digit Interstate numbers are reused in different metropolitan area. Even number three digit Interstates are generally circumferential and loop routes (usally rejoining the primary Interstate), while odd numbered ones are spurs that head away from the main Interstate and don't return. I-270 in DC does not seem to follow that pattern, of course.
Nor do I-264 and 464 down in Hampton Roads. Then there's the massive I-564, which is all of 3 miles long. I think they just like designating things as an interstate.

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

Going back through the episode, I found the Toys category to be much worse. I only answered one of those (Angry Birds) and had not heard of three of the answers. OTOH I got the bottom three in Potpourri (not sure how I knew Dukakis went to Swarthmore).

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9220
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Thursday, February 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Going back through the episode, I found the Toys category to be much worse. I only answered one of those (Angry Birds) and had not heard of three of the answers.
Trying to remember what the other responses were for that one, but I, too, got Angry Birds and I know I had never heard of Melissa & Doug.

Post Reply