GOAT Tournament: The Return of Super Jeopardy!-Style Points

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

GOAT Tournament: The Return of Super Jeopardy!-Style Points

Post by Robert K S »

I was chatting with OntarioQuizzer yesterday and half-jokingly said that the GOAT Tournament should go back to using points instead of dollar values since the dollars didn't matter (that is, only the final prizes do, and they are unrelated to the values assigned the individual clues). My remark may have been subconsciously inspired by that shot of the game board during the What is Jeopardy! special Thursday night, where I saw but didn't fully register the displays. OQ was all like, "Yeah, from what I've seen, it's points." I was excited.
ReturnofPointsresized.jpg
ReturnofPointsresized.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 5401 times
They went through the trouble of blurring the categories and the scores even though this is clearly a warm-up practice round (that's not Alex at the host's lectern).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: GOAT Tournament: The Return of Super Jeopardy!-Style Points

Post by MarkBarrett »

No scores blurred here. Have fun trying to read them. I'm sure it's from rehearsal and not actual game play. What I want to know is if a DD was involved in the numbers?

What I read for the score display using some zooming:
Spoiler
James 4300 or 4800, Ken 1200, Brad 2200

or 4500? or 6800?

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am I was chatting with OntarioQuizzer yesterday and half-jokingly said that the GOAT Tournament should go back to using points instead of dollar values since the dollars didn't matter (that is, only the final prizes do, and they are unrelated to the values assigned the individual clues). My remark may have been subconsciously inspired by that shot of the game board during the What is Jeopardy! special Thursday night, where I saw but didn't fully register the displays. OQ was all like, "Yeah, from what I've seen, it's points." I was excited.

ReturnofPointsresized.jpg

They went through the trouble of blurring the categories and the scores even though this is clearly a warm-up practice round (that's not Alex at the host's lectern).

I'm excited to see that "GOAT Game 1" and "GOAT Game 2" are now available in the archivist's drop-down menu for game creation. Will the GOAT games be their own "season", like Super Jeopardy is?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I assume they are using the normal clue values and not change them like they did for SJ?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Glad they're going back to points - dollar values are meaningless in this particular tourney, because I don't think even James could rack up $250K in two games (or $1 million in three) to overshoot the guaranteed prizes. (James would have to match his top two daily hauls in order to do so.)

One thing I noticed not relating to the scores...and I'm hiding this for a possible spoiler...
Spoiler
There was initially talk about this tourney being T, W, Th, F, with T, W, Th next week. But then they moved the Friday show to the second week, so it's T, W, Th, followed by T, W, Th, F. That would indicate to me that the tournament is highly unlikely to go to 7 games - Friday is a terrible day for ratings, and if it went 7 games, they would have kept it how it initially was. Right now on my FiOS lineup Friday shows sitcom reruns.

Also, my schedule does NOT show any episode information for the week 2 game on Tuesday - just the generic Jeopardy! GOAT title and generic description. No mention of "Game 4" or (if necessary) on the episode. And, finally, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of the second week all have sitcoms in the 8 PM hour (new episodes Wednesday, reruns on Thursday and Friday). That makes me think the tournament is going to end in 4 games. But I could be wrong, and they could change the schedule.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

According to James's Facebook page, each GOAT episode is going to last an hour instead of the usual half-hour. I just did some research, and found out that episodes will be an hour long because a match covers two games. The person with the highest combined score from both games wins a match, just like the two-day finals in Jeopardy's regular tournaments. At first I thought there were going to be other rounds played in the game in addition to the Jeopardy, Double Jeopardy, and Final Jeopardy rounds, especially after reading someone's reply on a thread on Reddit covering this topic. But then I realized, two games per episode.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:44 pm According to James's Facebook page, each GOAT episode is going to last an hour instead of the usual half-hour. So does he mean that there are more rounds in the game in addition to Jeopardy!, Double Jeopardy!, and Final Jeopardy!?
I assume each episode is a two game total point affair, like a TOC final.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:50 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:44 pm According to James's Facebook page, each GOAT episode is going to last an hour instead of the usual half-hour. So does he mean that there are more rounds in the game in addition to Jeopardy!, Double Jeopardy!, and Final Jeopardy!?
Yes, win that to earn a point. Three points = $1M
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:50 pm
It is indeed a two-game affair per match.

Also, it'll be airing at 7 pm on the ABC affiliate in my area (KOAT channel 7)
Spoiler
On KOAT's schedule, it had episode four listed for the Tuesday a week after tomorrow, but not Wednesday and Thursday of next week. So I imagine it'll go four games.
Golf

Post by Golf »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:44 pm According to James's Facebook page, each GOAT episode is going to last an hour instead of the usual half-hour. I just did some research, and found out that episodes will be an hour long because a match covers two games. The person with the highest combined score from both games wins a match, just like the two-day finals in Jeopardy's regular tournaments. At first I thought there were going to be other rounds played in the game in addition to the Jeopardy, Double Jeopardy, and Final Jeopardy rounds, especially after reading someone's reply on a thread on Reddit covering this topic. But then I realized, two games per episode.
Wasn't this known and discussed in detail a month ago in the following thread that you were the last one to post in?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5440
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I was a bit confused at the time when I read about the tournament being like the two day finals of the ToC and at the same time being a best-of-seven series. But when I read more information about each match being a two-game affair, I was no longer confused.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ThoseWerePointsKen.png
ThoseWerePointsKen.png (19.15 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Moderator note: Spoilerized comments about GOAT tournament results.
Spoiler
I watched both matches, and I have to say that so far it does look like the best tournament ever, even more prestigious than a regular ToC. James and Ken are both really good players, and really fun to watch going head to head against one another; however, they're so good that they locked Brad out of it. If Brad continues to be outplayed, my prediction is that either Ken or James will win the tournament.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Spoiler
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 pm If Brad continues to be outplayed, my prediction is that either Ken or James will win the tournament.
That seems to be rather a safe bet. :mrgreen:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spoiler
Woof wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:40 pm If Brad continues to be outplayed, my prediction is that either Ken or James will win the tournament.
That seems to be rather a safe bet. :mrgreen:
Funny! That shit there is Booger McFarland-esque. (PSA - the ESPN MNF color commentator is a latter day John Madden / Captain Obvious)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Opened this thread thinking style points meant something completely different. Never mind.