What Would You Ask Alex?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Charis
Contributor

Re: What Would You Ask Alex?

Post by Charis »

heppm01 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am
britt408 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm Since we saw him standing inside the floor in his house...

Is there any home improvement project you decided was beyond your abilities and paid someone to do because you felt you couldn't?
Yes that's a good one! I was trying to think of something home improvement related. That was one thing I actually didn't know about him!
I would turn this around and ask if there were any home improvement projects that he did himself that he later regretted not hiring out.
I'm going to tapings next week (Tuesday and Wednesday). Okay if I use this one?
KEITHkemp
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by KEITHkemp »

I would ask him, and I hope I am not doing anything wrong, but I would ask him "If you could choose any one of the three GOAT contestants as your replacement, who would it be?"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I seem to recall a story of someone asking him if he would want Ken Jennings to be his replacement and Harry Friedman or one of the other producers interrupting to loudly announce that "That would never happen."
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Charis wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:42 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:28 am
britt408 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:56 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm Since we saw him standing inside the floor in his house...

Is there any home improvement project you decided was beyond your abilities and paid someone to do because you felt you couldn't?
Yes that's a good one! I was trying to think of something home improvement related. That was one thing I actually didn't know about him!
I would turn this around and ask if there were any home improvement projects that he did himself that he later regretted not hiring out.
I'm going to tapings next week (Tuesday and Wednesday). Okay if I use this one?
A little novel twist on this is to ask what he thought about doing the demo (demolition) for a project and realize he is tearing out his own work. Euphemistically, as in you know you are out of control when you start demo-ing your own crap. I guarantee he's already been there done that.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

Sorry to be late on this, but it occurs to me that given Alex's love for TCM and classic movies, I'd ask if he's ever thought about doing a co-host movie introductory discussion with Ben Mankiewicz (Ben occasionally does these with celebrities and sometimes with non-celebrity TCM members, and they're often quite interesting). And then, of course, I'd ask what movie(s) he'd pick
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In 2008 he guest-programmed The Professionals, Wuthering Heights (1939), Lonely Are the Brave, and Little Big Man. In 2014 he surprise-introduced Zulu at the TCM Classic Film Festival, and in October of that year he sub-hosted Friday Night Spotlight with films about Africa, including Out of Africa, The English Patient, and, I think, The Battle of Algiers.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Update: I got to ask Alex which of his home improvement projects he was the most proud of, which got him started reminiscing about building a ski chalet in Quebec in 1972. It was a lovely story.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Does he ever find himself rooting for (or against) any of the contestants? And does he ever find himself wondering "How did this person get on the show?"

If he answered either of these, I'm sure he would be diplomatic.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Magna wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 pm Does he ever find himself rooting for (or against) any of the contestants? And does he ever find himself wondering "How did this person get on the show?"

If he answered either of these, I'm sure he would be diplomatic.
I imagine Sony’s S&P department hopes he is very diplomatic.