GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I hated the jazzed up version of the music as well.
I wonder if the new music package that was created for this event will carry over to the syndicated series starting next season.

- The current music package has been in use for more than 11 years.
- Season 36 may be the last season with Alex hosting, but it all depends on his health.
- In the Super Jeopardy! tournament back in 1990, the lights dimmed during Final Jeopardy!, and that carried over to the syndicated version in Season 7.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:39 pm I've been holding very low expectations for this event and have found it impossible to develop a rooting interest. I hope it's able to get some ratings, for the sake of the show (I guess). Maybe James has paid attention to criticism about interrupting Alex on his correct responses and is more watchable now.

FWIW, I just learned that our local ABC affiliate (KODE, channel 12, Joplin MO metro area) is in a pissing match with DISH Network and is not available on my Satellite dish. I'm sure I can rig some rabbit ears. But watching or waiting on commercials with no clicker - nope. Looking forward to the game discussions and gossip here :).

I will take James in 6 (or one less than the maximum, if I don't have the format understood). Jennings in last place.
I've been hopeful, but not particularly optimistic, since the format was announced. I knew we could expect excellent game play, but wondered about the level of difficulty and the pace of the game.

The first match exceeded my expectations -- I found it to be eminently watchable, definitely exciting, and I thought the writers did a great job toughening the boards for the champions without making them inaccessible to the average viewer.

Not sure I'm fond of the reworked music, but I think I really like the set decor.

Very much looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick

Post by brick »

I don’t know when this was taped in relationship to the current syndicated shows. I’m hoping it’s partly attributable to the change in lighting, but I feel like Alex doesn’t look good. His makeup doesn’t look right, or is heavier. It’s concerning.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

I was surprised TCM fan extraordinaire Alex didn't call out Ken for his clearly inspired by Citizen Kane misstep of Xanadu for Hearst Castle.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this, and I hope it can reach match day 7.

My personal favorite moment was, if I may brag a little bit, getting 4 of the 6 2000 point clues in Game 1, only not knowing satori and Anbar Province. I did come back to earth 30 minutes later by getting skunked on bottom row clues in game 2 :?
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

brick wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:35 pm I don’t know when this was taped in relationship to the current syndicated shows. I’m hoping it’s partly attributable to the change in lighting, but I feel like Alex doesn’t look good. His makeup doesn’t look right, or is heavier. It’s concerning.
For most of Jeopardy!'s run, Alex has maintained a steady California tan - more noticeable on set than it is at home, since they paint us pasty indoors types orange to balance him out (not joking; take a closer look at my pic and you'll see it). Chemo can alter the color and texture of a patient's skin, so I would imagine his makeup has been heavier lately to keep him looking like the Alex we've known all these years. You're likely right that the new lighting is making this more noticeable to viewers at home than it has been in other episodes.
Last edited by TheSunWillComeOut on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I really enjoyed the first night, especially seeing Ken come out on top. Loved the set and the production variations, except . . .

That was the worst rendition of the Think music I've ever heard. I thought my ears were going to bleed! I'd rather they brought in a couple of guys to play it live on a washboard and spoons.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I enjoyed the photo of a young Ken poring over a copy of The World Almanac because I did the same thing in my childhood. I guess he was just able to retain a little more of that information!

I had Hale for FJ 2. I almost changed it to Shoemaker, because I thought that was the one that crashed into Jupiter, but I knew Hale was very famous (turns out that's a different Hale). I didn't realize Shoemaker was, too. I also found it interesting they said HIS name was given to the comet. Seems like Levy would take some issue with that.

Very excited to see Ken take this one.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

This game will demoralize borderline folks like me who are prepping for the audition test. Yikes! So many, many NHOs and HTFWIKTs. Then again, I'm not a trivia imbiber like many are here (and like those three obviously are) - my meager knowledge is all-natural.

The sheer speed on the wordplay categories is impressive. Coming up with three terms/phrases in the time I can come up with one....

That said - Don Ho for Elvis? Wow. You can take the man out of Utah, but you can't take the Utah out of the man.

Also, years ago in the early, primordial days of the Internet (circa 1991), I was part of a Prodigy message board with Felicia Day called the Ultima Dragons, which was for fans of the computer RPG series Ultima. She was Codex Dragon; I was Karma Dragon. When they started charging on Prodigy for e-mails, we devised "undergrounds" - every Prodigy account had 1 main account and 5 "child" accounts, and we'd give the passwords to the "child" accounts to each other. To send an email, we'd bounce it on purpose - bounced emails incurred no charge. Ah, the Internet before the real Internet.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

West Coast timing is no fun for this being late to the party. I'll try an alternate method to watch on East Coast timing tomorrow.

Thank you to the archivists for handling theFJguy post placed at the top of page 1 as well as both games archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showseason.php ... tournament

It's a touch hidden for some to find these new games as it pops up going through the All Seasons path.

It's apparent how much Andy & Robert had to do in association with these games with coding, posting and archiving. Well done and doing it in such a timely manner.

The hour was paced well and I enjoyed the full rounds of 30 clues played including the J! rounds where the opening break normally would divide the opening action.

Ken did quite well in game 1 to set the table in game 2 to take the match with a sufficient though not great cushion.

Brad found found 4/6 DDs though only converted one of them Ken was 2/2 on the ones he found. That left James 0/0. Let's see Ken & Brad keep them away from James again. It's not easy to do.

My score sheets indicate the material was easier than the UTOC and a hair harder than the most recent ToC. 1/6 on DDs had me glad other than Moog was not a FJ! clue as I managed to get both FJ! clues correct.

I've stood in front of the congregation and read from John enough times that enough must have stuck over the years even if I was not particularly fast or confident with the solve.

FJ2 had me glad my coin only had two sides as I did not have enough knowledge/recall of comets to think of Hale-Bopp during think time. Using the Lewis & Clark method of going with the first name of a pairing being the best choice I matched James & Ken for the match perfecto.

No matter what else happens it's great to see Ken with a checkmark as I'll admit to not being too optimistic that he could win one.

Game 1 had the kind of spread I expected with 29R to 20R to 10R while Game 2 accomplished what I did not expect with a very close 19R to 19R to 18R.

Brad took a loss against humans as 2/6 on big clues does not cut it with Ken 4/4 and James 2/2. On the other hand Brad led the Coryats in Game 2 with 16600 to James 15000 and Ken 10400 to show how one player could possibly heat up while another can hit a tough patch.

James had the more consistent Coryat through the two matches with 16,600 & 15,000 to make me think this will not be a 3-0-0 overall affair.

Ken got Bible and TRIPLE RHYME TIME today and did enough to earn the victory. His buzzer work and quick recall was working although the speed of the game seemed to catch him in sports with unfortunate guesses such as the already mentioned Xanadu, and Don Ho, which in this type of contest will not only take points away but also serve up a rebound.

I cannot imagine for a second that this version of think music will move on to regular play.

I was surprised by the outfits as the guys were not wearing what they had on for rehearsals seen in the ABC special last week which I thought would the opening ensembles.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

OMG i loved that Think Music. can that be the s37 Theme? :P

got 4 Clues in the first game, 9 in the second. thats better than i was expecting given what i know my knowledge base is.

Im taking Ken in 5.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

55 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Grigori Potemkin)

Got bitten by those obscure Pop Culture names in 1980's, Oscars, and Pop Culture Bookshelf. Couldn't remember the name of the hockey player. I had his name at one time but it escaped. It is extremely rare that I miss an artist question, but unfortunately, that happened to me tonight. I am not that disappointed however considering it was a VERY RECENT artist. Also knew Farrelly for a short time but the name could not sink in. Didn't know LBJ's Secretary of Defense but it didn't matter since I knew the other two. Pretty sure I have heard of Oscars $1000 and Pop Culture Bookshelf $2000, but no way I would have gotten them.

Game 2:

55 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Bourbon & Basin Street), (William James), Olympias, Liberty

Swept the SJ! board. The Star Trek actress was not gonna happen. I can name a bunch of Herbie Hancock songs but that title is unfamiliar to me. Could not pull out Vince Guaraldi's name for the life of me. Then there was a Representative question and a Governor question at $1600 and $2000 in the Family Edition category that I had no chance of getting. I remember the Webcam question being a $500,000 question on WWTBAM during the shuffle format. Thus, the word coffeepot was enough for me to get the answer right.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:24 am I enjoyed the photo of a young Ken poring over a copy of The World Almanac because I did the same thing in my childhood.
As did I (and the Guinness Book, back when it actually meant something). Didn't have any idea on FJ1 , but FJ2 was much more to my liking. I knew the comet was Shoemaker-Levy 9 and thankfully I picked the correct one.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

It was evident during both games that Ken and Brad knew that they had to adjust their DD wagering to match James' style, if they were going to keep up. They also managed to keep the DDs away from James. That was Ken's ticket to taking the first match.

Interesting that Ken reverted to his old ways when it came to the first FJ wager. By that, I mean he chose an amount that would add up to a nice pretty number, instead of maximizing his advantage over James.

We didn't see any of James' pet number wagers on Final, but I think it was mainly because he trailed Ken by a significant amount, so knew he just needed to go all in.

James appeared to have the upper hand on the buzzer in the early going. Then Ken seemed to get dialed in and took over.

When the Elvis clue was revealed, I wondered if someone would take the Mitch Ryder neg bait. Ken's Wrong answer took me by surprise.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Great first matchup. James with a 60,000 two-game total without hitting a DD is quite impressive. Ken hitting that DD in Game 1 was obviously huge. I believe Ken has always been good at the “souped up” versions of regular game categories (ie, Before During & After and Triple Rhyme Time)

In Game 2, Ken was getting nervous and perhaps that is why he started missing. I get why he didn’t go crazy in the Game 1 FJ, but he may change that strategy now.

Brad went with the Roger Craig strategy from the BotD and had similar results. Not saying that either player played it wrong - just that it didn’t work out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to the archivists getting this up so quickly.

One suggestion..,perhaps a small note indicating who went first in each game, as they had a rather unusual way of doing it.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

$19,200 Coryat in game 1, $23,000 in game 2. Honestly, a fair bit more than I was expecting. Even ran a couple of categories (School Days and Geo-Verse)! 1/2 on FJ, I did the same as Brad and went with Hale knowing it was incorrect, not able to remember Shoemaker-Levy in time.

So either Ken sweeps or this goes to the second week. Either outcome is perfectly acceptable. I have a feeling James gets rolling starting tonight, he’s not going to be shut out of DDs forever.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

I did not like hearing whom I had believed to had been the host of the program presenting what I had believed to had been a certain clue for one of its game involving a certain word I would describe as "profane" (its spelling was similar to this one: " witchin' ") and did not like the music for the final rounds of those games (I was hoping one of the final rounds would have a certain kind of music originally used for the final rounds of games for a TV program like this one ("Jeopardy!") in years past since I had expected it ("Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time!") to be what some folks might describe as a "special").
fordboy183

Post by fordboy183 »

What a great start to the tourney, it's not often that you get to see a competition in anything when the best of the best compete against each other, that in itself makes this event phenomenal.

However, after watching last night, that has let me know that I have a lot of work to do to prep if I ever get on the show. Typical show I average 30-35/60. Last night: 13/60 gm 1 15/60 gm 2. Yikes.....
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mario500 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am I did not like hearing whom I had believed to had been the host of the program presenting what I had believed to had been a certain clue for one of its game involving a certain word I would describe as "profane" (its spelling was similar to this one: " witchin' ") and did not like the music for the final rounds of those games (I was hoping one of the final rounds would have a certain kind of music originally used for the final rounds of games for a TV program like this one ("Jeopardy!") in years past since I had expected it ("Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time!") to be what some folks might describe as a "special").
Is this the longest single sentence ever posted here? :D