Friday, February 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6320, 2012-02-24

2012-A Teachers Tournament semifinal game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Patrick Quinn, a high school German teacher from Chesterfield, Missouri
Catherine Whitten, a high school history teacher from Plano, Texas
Mary Ann Stanley, a high school chemistry and physical science teacher from Statesboro, Georgia

OPENING REMARKS
Alex:
Thank you, Johnny.
Hi, folks.
Well, we know there are two men waiting in the wings ready to come back on Monday and Tuesday to play for $100,000 in the finals.
Will they be joined by one of the women--Catherine or Mary Ann--or will Patrick win today and make it an all-guy affair on Monday?
Good luck.
We'll start finding out right now, won't we?
This is the Jeopardy! Round, and these are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TABLETS (3/3)
HISTORIC LETTERS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOOD & DRINK FOR THOUGHT (5/5)
U.S. GEOGRAPHY (4/5)
MOVIES IN REWIND? (5/5)
WEBSTER'S LAST WORDS (3/4) (Alex: The correct repsonse will be the last word under that particular letter that I give you, and it's found in Webster's 11th Edition of the Colegiate Dictionary.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick: 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Catherine: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Mary Ann: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Patrick found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Mary Ann had no money, Catherine was scoreless, and Patrick was at $600. Patrick wagered $1,000.

HISTORIC LETTERS $600: Among those he accused in an 1898 letter were Colonel Du Paty de Clam, General Mercier & General Billot
(Patrick: Who is Dreyfus?)
(Alex: No, but it had to do with the Dreyfus situation. It was [*]. He was the author who accused--"J'accuse"--these gentlemen.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Patrick: $2,600
Catherine: $2,000
Mary Ann: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex:
Patrick Quinn is not only a teacher.
He is a marathoner, and how did you get into that?
You were trying to lose weight, I understand.

Patrick:
No, that was a complete pleasant side effect.
Uh, I had gone for a run 'cause I had no time to do anything else.
I usually played racquetball, and I was just in agony afterward and thought, man, that must have been a pretty good workout.
My wife Elizabeth said,
"You know, you should run a marathon," and I said,
"You're crazy.
No normal human can do that."
[Chuckles]
And, uh, idea kinda stuck, and I've done six now, so...

Alex:
Six of them?

Patrick:
It was a good suggestion from her.

Alex:
Good for you.
Are you--do you finish in the top third, say?

Patrick:
Uh... uh, a little under four hours, usually.

Alex:
Okay.
That's good.

Alex:
Catherine Whitten from Plano, Texas--this teacher has learned not to do something...

[Catherine chuckles]

Alex:
And what is that?

Catherine:
Uh, I learned very quickly in my teaching career that, uh, my ability to draw maps on the board is really not great and sometimes, uh, borderline inappropriate-looking.
I've learned to stay away from peninsulas, in fact, so... yeah.

[Laughter]

Catherine:
It happens.

Alex:
right.

Alex:
Mary Ann Stanley--high school chemistry and physical science teacher from Georgia.
You have something nice to say about teachers, and I want you to relate that to, uh, our audience.

Mary Ann:
Basically, I have never met a selfish teacher.
They are extremely caring and giving.
Um, if a child doesn't have clothes--warm clothes, gloves, a coat--teachers will buy warm clothes for that child.
And because the schools themselves are hurting for money, many teachers reach into their own pockets to pay for school supplies for their students.

Alex:
Yeah, we all appreciate it.

Mary Ann:
That's extremely, extremely common.

Alex:
I know.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
U.S. GEOGRAPHY $1000: This waterfall in Yosemite National Park is the highest continuous fall in North America at 1,612 feet
(Alex: And it is known as [*].)

WEBSTER'S LAST WORDS $800: O:
This 11-letter word for the atmospheric layer made up of O3
(Catherine: What is ozone?)
(Patrick: What is the ozonesphere?)
(Alex: You said "ozonesphere", Patrick--it's [*]--a problem with one letter of the alphabet. Sorry about that.)
[end-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Catherine: $3,800
Patrick: $3,400
Mary Ann: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TECHNOLOGY MATTERS (4/5)
ROMAN NUMERALS (4/4)
HOSPITAL DEPARTMENTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AUDIO BOOKS (4/5)
BROADWAY (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WHAT 2 Q SO LONG? (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mary Ann: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Patrick: 9 R, 1 W
Catherine: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mary Ann snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Mary Ann had $6,400, Catherine had $4,200, and Patrick was at $8,600. Mary Ann wagered $3,000.

HOSPITAL DEPARTMENTS $1600: At the other end of life from the NICU is the GICU, short for this
[Alex pronounces the acronyms as nick-you and jick-you respectively]

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mary Ann who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Mary Ann had $10,200, Catherine had $3,000, and Patrick was at $8,600. Mary Ann wagered $2,000.

BROADWAY $2000: 1927's "The Royal Family" was a comic portrayal of this American theatrical family of the day
(Alex: [*]--John, Lionel, and Ethel. Right you are.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TECHNOLOGY MATTERS $1600: Sony's micro vault line of these lets you carry photos, data or state secrets in a 1.6-inch package

AUDIO BOOKS $2000: Author Michael Lewis reads this sports book of his about "The Art Of Winning An Unfair Game"

BROADWAY $800: Patti LuPone got ticked off, then paid off when she was replaced in this composer's "Sunset Boulevard"

BROADWAY $1200: This American opera was revived on Broadway in 2012 in a shortened version, with no goat cart
(Catherine: What is Oklahoma?)

BROADWAY $1600: In 1942 the cast of this great tunesmith's revue "This Is The Army" formed the army's only integrated unit
(Mary Ann: Who is George M. Cohan?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mary Ann: $13,800
Patrick: $11,800
Catherine: $6,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY BIOGRAPHIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Mary Ann: Wager $9,801 to cover Patrick.
Patrick: You have to wager $601 to cover Catherine's doubled score, but certainly no more than $5,599, so as to force Catherine to be right to have a chance at winning.
Catherine: Think about risking $2,200 or less, thereby beating Mary Ann on the Triple Stumper (should Mary Ann wager to cover Patrick's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Quoting a famous line of his, a 2011 biography of this man was titled "And So It Goes"

FINAL SCORES
Catherine: $6,200 - $6,200 = $0 (Who is Mark Twain?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Patrick: $11,800 - $6,011 = $5,789 (Who is Wilde? Dickens) (Finalist)
Mary Ann: $13,800 - $13,750 = $50 (Who is Walter Cronkite?) (2nd place: $10,000)
(Alex: The correct response--that's one of the lines from "Slaughterhouse-Five" by [*].)
(Alex: You're gonna play for $100,000 next week.
Hard way to win, but you're the victor.
Here are your two opponents.
It's gonna be an all-guy affair.)

(Justin:
Justin Hofstetter, Alta Vista Charter Middle School, Kansas City, Missouri.)
(Brooks:
Brooks Humphreys, Mercy High School, Omaha, Nebraska.)
(Alex: And we start on Monday.
Join us then.
So long, everybody.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Patrick: $12,800, 20 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Mary Ann: $12,400, 15 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Catherine: $6,200, 12 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Patrick: 20/59 = .339
Mary Ann: 15/60 = .250
Catherine: 12/58 = .207
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC LETTERS $400: The New York Historical Society has his April 9th, 1865 letter that said, "I propose to receive the surrender of the army of Northern Virginia"

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $400: Saginaw Bay on the east coast of Michigan's Lower Peninsula is an inlet of this Great Lake
(Catherine: What is Lake Superior?)
(Patrick: What is Lake Michigan?)
(Alex: Yeah, they kind of narrowed it down. I was going to say this is a toughie, because we mention Michigan's Lower Peninsula.)

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $600: This river rises in Northern Pennsylvania, runs into Southwest New York & then flows into Pittsburgh
(Catherine: What is the "Alle-hey-nee"?)

WEBSTER'S LAST WORDS $600: I:
British comedian Eddie knows it's another word for the letter "Z"
(Mary Ann: What is zed?)

AUDIO BOOKS $400: Her exuberance for roasted chicken is captured in the audio book of "My Life In France"
(Patrick: Who is Edith Piaf?)

ROMAN NUMERALS $400: According to a 1954 song, it's the number of coins tossed in the Trevi Fountain
(Patrick: What is III--[*]?)
(Alex: [*] is right. You didn't need to do it in Roman numerals.)
(Patrick: It says "Roman numerals". [Laughs])

CORRECT RESPONSES
Emile Zola
Ribbon Falls
ozonosphere
Geriatric Intensive Care Unit
the Barrymores
flash drives
Moneyball
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Porgy and Bess
Irving Berlin
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Grant
Lake Huron
the Allegheny River
izzard
Julia Child
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 24, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Literary Biographies
Quoting a famous line of his, a 2011 biography of this man was titled "And so it goes".
Spoiler
Who is Kurt Vonnegut? Catherine said Mark Twain. Patrick said Charles Dickens. Mary Ann said Walter Cronkite.
Mary Ann Stanley: $13,800-$13,750=$50
Patrick Quinn: $11,800-$6,011=$5,789
Catherine Whitten: $6,200-$6,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"So it goes" (no "and") was the line Vonnegut repeated endlessly in that book. "And" was Linda Ellerbee's insertion, at the close of her NBC News Overnight broadcasts back in the 80's. Not a promising sign for the book, but luckily Vonnegut is easy enough to read that I would in any case sooner read him than a book about him.
I'm smart and I want respect.
emtwo
Contributor

Post by emtwo »

Aww, no wild cards in the semifinals. :( And three guys, too. Score one for predictability...?
Teachers!
Y u no wager smarter?

PS: Team Brooks all the way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Most of the food clues seemed opaque. Is it well known that the oldest recipe is for beer? That sounded like it could've been anything. Ditto with the pepper clue — I was about to go curry due to India, but stupidly blurted out "saffron" instead because it mentioned its value, even though I know damn well that saffron is Spanish in origin.

I knew Siri entirely because it was in a recent Over the Hedge strip. No lie.

I liked seeing 138 as a correct response, since that's my lucky number.

Where'd all our time go today? We were doing so well lately at getting to 60, and they didn't seem to play slowly at all.

Finally, I always feel better when I can't even muster up a WAG on a FJ! that's a triple stumper.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

emtwo wrote:Y u no wager smarter?
qft

I went with Cronkite and wouldn't have wouldn't have gotten Vonnegut if you had gave me a copy of Slaughterhouse Five.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

He's down a bunch...and he starts at the top of the category!? He's down 2000, Alex gave the LTaM warning a while ago, there's two 2000 clues left, and he goes for the 1600 clue??? I'm not gonna lie, I was rooting for a triple get after that. At least he didn't make the usual 2nd place suicide wager and lose the TS as a result (though he still bet too much). Mary Ann was a dead duck anyway on a miss, so I'll leave her wager alone.

Speaking of FJ...yeah, no. I've heard that phrase a million times, but I had no idea it was a 'famous' book quote. Even guessing random authors, I never would've guessed Vonnegut. Oh well.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Oh just shoot me.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Wow, never expected FJ to be a triple stumper. I was almost certain it would be a triple get. So it goes.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that this board was a little bit better than the ones in the last few games, but still not very good. I did like the Ribbon Falls clue. I am good at geography but I had never heard of it, and it seems like a good thing to know.

I had no idea on FJ. I guessed Fitzgerald.

It looks like this is Justin's tournament to lose. Brooks may be pretty even with him in terms of knowledge but I don't think he will be able to keep up with Justin on the buzzer. Unless one of them surprises us in the finals, I don't think that any one of the finalists (or anyone who played in this tournament) could do well in the ToC, unless it ends up being a weak field.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This is why you watch the interview segment.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:Literary Biographies
Quoting a famous line of his, a 2011 biography of this man was titled "And so it goes".
Spoiler
Who is Kurt Vonnegut? Catherine said Mark Twain. Patrick said Charles Dickens. Mary Ann said Walter Cronkite.
Patrick bet way too much. Interestingly, all he really needed to bet was $601 and he bets $6,011. I wonder if he started out with $601 and added the extra one by mistake or just for the heck of it. He certainly shouldn't have bet more than $5,599 to force Catherine to be right to win.

Mary Ann only needed to bet $9,801, but she loses if she's wrong so it really doesn't matter. Catherine wins by betting zero, but she didn't know Patrick would make a bad wager.

I'm predicting Justin to win this one easily.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This was an interesting set of scores for wagering purposes, and I didn't really love either Mary Ann's or Patrick's bets, but any better wager from either player wouldn't have changed the end result. First of all, for Catherine, I felt that she should have either bet very little, meaning less than $2,200, or bet it all. If Mary Ann makes the Minimum Safe Bet (MSB) and misses, she's left with $3,999, so if Catherine stays above that level on a miss, she has a chance to win, given the generally rule of unpredictable wagering from 2nd place. One possible wager that Patrick could make is $2,001, to top Mary Ann's pre-FJ total, so on a miss that leaves him at $9,799, which is why I say that if Catherine is going to bet more than $2,200, she should just bet it all, and hope that if she gets it right she winds up ahead of whatever Patrick leaves himself after his U2PW (Unpredictable 2nd Place Wager). As it turned out, she only could have won on the triple stumper by betting less than $411, which I never would have predicted, so I can't really blame her for that, so she gets a thumbs up from me for making the all-in wager, which I felt was one of her two best courses of action.

On to Patrick, and he pretty much could have bet anything between $601 and $5,599 and still been the likely winner on a triple stumper. I thought $2,001 would be a possibility, but no other number in that spectrum would really provide a strategic advantage in any way that I can think of. Assuming Mary Ann bets to cover, the only way he can lose on a triple stumper is if he bets too much and risks falls behind Catherine's pre-FJ score, which, naturally, is exactly what he did. Fortunately for him, Catherine didn't choose to bet $0 on the remote possibility that Patrick might try to hand her the game, when there was really no other logical reason for her to do so, so luckily for him, he dodged that bullet.

Mary Ann's wager I find completely indefensible. If there was ever a time for a leader to wager the MSB and not one dollar more, the semifinals of a tournament would be it. In a regular game, if you choose to bet $3,949 more than you logically should, the argument is always there that if you are right, you get to take home that extra $3,949, and if you miss it, you're probably not winning anyway. That argument may not always be entirely sensible, but at least you actually have something to gain by making the additional risk. Here, there is absolutely nothing to be gained, and possibly everything to lose by betting even $1 more than the MSB. There were so many highly plausible wagers that could have been made by both Patrick and Catherine that would have resulted in Mary Ann's overwager costing her the game. In this case, it didn't, but it quite easily could have.

*ETA to Bamaman...we were pretty much on the same wavelength with our thoughts on Patrick and Catherine's bets. However, my analysis was clearly superior, since I used way more words. I do strongly disagree with the notion that "Mary Ann loses if she's wrong, so it doesn't really matter if she bets way more than the MSB". No one should know better than us boardies about the highly unpredictable wagering practices of 2nd and 3rd place players, so there would is no logical reason for the leader to assume that just because they miss FJ, they have no chance to win.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I guess this is a first: tonight's FJ was an Instaget..? Since (as explained upthread by Lefty) it's not really a quote. So I thought that's who it was probably referencing, but couldn't be positive.

OK, wagering experts, do I have this down yet? Mary Ann should wager 4001 to cover Patrick's double up.
Patrick, 2000 beats Mary Ann by a dollar if she mises, and also beats Catherine's double up.
Catherine needs a sole get to win, and can't catch Patrick's ideal wager get of 13,800, so might as well wager to beat his ideal wager miss score of 9800, so... 3601.

How far off am I?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

It's true that the line was "So it goes", but the biography is indeed titled "And So It Goes". I don't think it misled anyone. I wonder if they would ahve accepted my answer- Who is the Creator?
Last edited by billy pilgrim on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

billy pilgrim wrote:It's true that the line was "So it goes", but the biography is indeed titled "And So It Goes". I don't think it [misled] anyone.
True, but then the clue should've been "misquoting," or "paraphrasing."
When is a quote not a quote? When it's not a quote.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:When is a quote not a quote? When it's not a quote.
And a tautology is a tautology when it's a tautology.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's how much the FJ clue had me messed up looking for a guess. The quote meant nothing to me and I could think of no author to even guess. In desperation to have something on the paper I thought of this ad for whatever reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-b4x0mGPIc

I put James on the paper and in the final seconds I could not think of the guy's last name, so I scribbled Carville just to have a complete response. Vonnegut? Never going to happen. Multiple choice? Probably just as unlikely and perhaps even less than 25% chance. That clue had sink the leader written all over it. Patrick was in the right place to sneak his way to the finals.

I'm not ready to hand the tournament to Justin yet. He's been the strongest player over two games, but I think Brooks and Patrick give him a better test. Patrick is 0/2 on DDs but his 6000 in game one and max allowed tonight indicate he is willing to bet. Of course he needs to get them right. Brooks has a great chance to scoop up some material that may be beyond the younger gentlemen. I think it's a final three that should be able to help justify this two-week affair and leave the teachers looking all right.

Catherine's interview? Alex was at a loss for a better ad lib, but perhaps DH or other funny guys here could help?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

StevenH wrote:
I had no idea on FJ. I guessed Fitzgerald.
I was with you, yelling at my wife that the line was from The Great Gatby, but here's the actual quote: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."