Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONSTITUTIONS OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country’s 1979 constitution forbids amendments altering its official ideology or religion

Katie Needle: 12400+5201=17601 (2x = $53,602)
Alek van Houghton: 8800-3000=5800
Jack McGuire: 5800+5200=11000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iran (Alek – Chnia)

Daily Doubles
Katie: 3800+1000
Katie: 7600+2000
Jack: 5000-2000

Coryats
Katie: 10800
Alek: 8800
Jack: 7800

Combined: 27,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Katie: 4800
Alek: 4400
Jack: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jack said his sister was on four years and came in second to have bragging rights in the family. Jack was on today and came in second. If sis got her FJ! clue right then the family will need a tie breaker of scores entering the FJ! round.

TOYS slipped in a $4000 clue for the $1000 TS one. Japanese skill toy with handle, ball, string and cup? I got nothing and will take my first four and $2000.

Alex has played hockey so he should have busted Jack immediately on the hockey clue about what the Oilers/Kings had 356 of in 1990. When had to interrupt play a clue later there was no doubt what was coming.

The FJ! category seemed so intimidating on the surface that I figured the clue would be something easy. It does not take long to write four letters.

Alek missing it was not surprising as that is not the kind of thing that comes up during (he watches half an ep. each morning in the shower) Friends. No matter as Katie had the game handled.

Jack got clue 27 right and had control with BOOK MARKS $1600 & $2000 remaining as well as the first clue in MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. The DDs were already gone and Jack trailed 12400-8400-5800. His pick? The $400 clue. Once again did not matter as Katie's lead could not be overcome though still frustrating to see two big clues left unplayed.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Eerily timely FJ. Instaget, but I took a few seconds to commit to it because I was beside myself about the timing.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm "1979" - done
Smashing Pumpki...oh wait
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game is archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6523

I added a note after clue 30 in the J! round as Katie negged the clue and her score went from 4800 to 4600. The round ended with 4600 for Katie displayed. When the DJ! round began Katie was shown with 4800 and nothing was said about it.

As far as I can tell I have all of the clues credited correctly. The only solution I could do to make Katie's score add up was to take away the neg on the church clue.

If anyone has any other ideas about what happened or what I should do for archiving it then let me know.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:11 pm The game is archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6523

I added a note after clue 30 in the J! round as Katie negged the clue and her score went from 4800 to 4600. The round ended with 4600 for Katie displayed. When the DJ! round began Katie was shown with 4800 and nothing was said about it.

As far as I can tell I have all of the clues credited correctly. The only solution I could do to make Katie's score add up was to take away the neg on the church clue.

If anyone has any other ideas about what happened or what I should do for archiving it then let me know.
That church is in the West Bank which of course is claimed by Palestine, which is recognized by 138 nations and has UN observer status (which I think justifies accepting that answer)... so I'm just guessing TPTB cut out the explanation because they didn't want to touch that issue with a ten foot pole.
ACW

Post by ACW »

While I think people may refer to "penalty minutes" as "penalties", that's definitely too informal. Isn't Alex Canadian?

The box score if you're interested.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

ACW wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 pm While I think people may refer to "penalty minutes" as "penalties", that's definitely too informal. Isn't Alex Canadian?

Different things. If you get three two-minute minors, that's 6 minutes but only 3 penalties.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nice seeing Johnny in the intros.

It would have been funny if they could have gotten Alex to dub in a comment about “a country much in the news this week” before the reveal.

Alek’s bet gave Jack a chance at a tie even if he bet zero.

The category didn’t lend itself to any precalls but I was done writing before the music started.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Everything I'm finding says it's "fogey" with an E, not "fogy". That IMO was a bad shoehorn into the category.

Strangely, "defenseman" at $200 was my only NHOI in NHL.

Blanked on Richter scale to get 4/5 in Science.

NHO Trevor Noah, and had the wrong adjective for the Red Spot on Jupiter, but got the next three Before & Afters with ease.

Strangely, $2,000 was my only get in Irishman.

0/5 in Numerical Characters.

All but guiro in Musical Instruments.

No guess on FJ! I could've put down 100 guesses and none of them would have been Iran.

Lach Trash: flux, paycheck, glockenspiel, William Carlos Williams Sonoma
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $34,400 (45R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: flux, [penalty minutes], glockenspiel, Agent 99, The Martian (DD)

Never seen LTAM go as fast as it did today in DJ! I was sure we were going to get the last two clues in.

I have never seen $800 “F”our-Letter Words spelled without an E, so I never would’ve thought of it as a four-letter word. Fogey or fogie, never fogy.

Instaget FJ. Helped that it’s in the news at the moment, so it’s top of mind, but still.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

"Penalties in minutes", or PIM, is how it's usually notated on a box score.

Feels like a bloody Kids' Week episode after the first three nights of GOAT.

FJ!: :oops: Could not pull Iran for the life of me, all things considered. Big "oof".
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $31200 (41R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Being a chemist worked against me on the fire extinguisher one. I was so hung up on thinking about all the things oxygen is essential for (respiration, oxidation, etc), and stumped about under what circumstances it would be important to generate CO2, that I completely ignored the words "safety device". :oops:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 pm Nice seeing Johnny in the intros.
They usually catch him in the opening pan on Thursday and Friday, although in most cases the pan starts from the audience side and not the stage side.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

ACW wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 pm While I think people may refer to "penalty minutes" as "penalties", that's definitely too informal. Isn't Alex Canadian?

I've never heard someone say "he got 2 penalties" on a minor penalty, or even really "he got 2 penalty minutes" - that's too stodgy. If anything, they say "he got 2 minutes" - but as a response, you'd really have to include "penalty" in there. You could, however, say "he got 4 penalties that game - for hooking, slashing, delay of game, and fighting". But each of those penalties would generate penalty minutes...and with numbers in the hundreds, that would definitely be minutes, and not individual penalties.

Saved from checking the "dunce box" in FJ! by today's significantly easier clue. Ayatollah's in Iran? Russians in Afghanastan? (Oh, and what comes after that? Hint: It has to do with changing keys.) The FJ! was an get, even for me. I could have understood any majority Muslim country in the Middle East as an acceptable guess. Maybe even Israel could be a guess, if you're not sure if they have an official state religion (they don't). Communist China? I feel for Alek, but at least it only cost him $1000 of real money.

As a Bruins fan (sorry, Ontario!), that $800 NHL clue stung. A once-in-a-lifetime (at least on average) Game 7 Stanley Cup Final with home ice, and it did NOT end well. I was there. Still salty. And St. Louis style pizza STINKS! I had "cross-check" for the "forecheck, backcheck, ..." clue, because I didn't pay attention to the hint of taking it to the bank.

I had "fog-e-y" for the four-letter F-word for an old person - and, looking it up, that's the more common spelling, no? Would have been nice to reference that in the clue. I'm half-kidding here, but my secondary answer was "fart". I mean, an "old fart" is a stodgy old gentleman, isn't it? You don't really talk about "young farts"....wonder what the judges would have done with my unexpected answer. Would have been a cool "ho/hoe" moment.

It would have been nice to have retitled one of the categories something like "A CHURCH IN THE COUNTRY" to remind contestants to give the country, not the city. Other than Alex's aside at the category reveal, there's no indication that the response should be a country vs a city, and the confusion was easy to see (and rampant in practice).

I had a surprising string of 14 correct responses in J! until the DD stopped me in my tracks. I always thought Tonka was Japanese, so there was no way in for me. Name comes from the Dakota Sioux "tanka" for "big". I wonder if that is etymologically related to tatonka, meaning buffalo. (Thanks, "Dances with Wolves".)

Judges: "Red Spot of tea" for "Great red spot of tea"? Probably not.

These regular shows are a nice palate cleanser. The GOAT games exhaust and frustrate me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm And St. Louis style pizza STINKS!
Using pasteurized processed cheese on a pizza should be a crime punishable by eating real goddamn cheese.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 pm Judges: "Red Spot of tea" for "Great red spot of tea"? Probably not.
Not enough.