Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 am And so what happens if TPTB don’t comment on this? Are you going to stop watching? According to the reddit thread, this episode was taped October 23, so we likely won’t see any comment by Alex on Monday’s episode.
They could have had Alex, or even just a producer (if Alex is unavailable), come in and tape a short 15-second video to be played at the start of J!, and possibly posted to Twitter/FB/Instagram/TicTok/MySpace. I'm sure J! wants this to go away, but it just doesn't sit well with me that a show that is a de facto arbiter of knowledge lets something that is objectively incorrect slip by without a correction, especially when it's been pointed out in many media outlets.

Then again, they had a terrible clue with "barr" vs "millibarr", and I'm still not over that.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 am Then again, they had a terrible clue with "barr" vs "millibarr", and I'm still not over that.
I'm not over misspelling bar and millibar ;)
--
Drowning in the pool
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

ParrotRob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:11 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 am Then again, they had a terrible clue with "barr" vs "millibarr", and I'm still not over that.
I'm not over misspelling bar and millibar ;)
Ha! Another way J! ruined that for me - I figured since the category was “BAR”-something, the unit had to be spelled barr. Apologies to Roseanne and William.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Jeopardy Facebook page just posted a comment about the clue in question and also showed the video of the replacement clue.

The following is what was on the Facebook post:

Correction to Jeopardy! Bethlehem Clue: In the process of taping this clue, “BUILT IN THE 300s A.D., THE CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY,” we became aware that the clue was flawed as written and that determining an acceptable response would be problematic. In accordance with our rules and in the interest of fairness, we voided the clue and threw it out. We restored Katie’s and Jack’s scores to what they were prior to the clue. The outcome of the game was not affected. We then continued the game with this replacement clue.

Unfortunately, through human error in post-production, the uncorrected version of the game was broadcast. We regret the error and we will make every effort to ensure this never happens again.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... lehem-clue
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm Unfortunately, through human error in post-production, the uncorrected version of the game was broadcast. We regret the error and we will make every effort to ensure this never happens again.
Wow. That's a serious "oops".
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

For the record, the replacement clue was "Bascilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe" and Jack rang in first with the correct response of "What is Mexico?"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm Unfortunately, through human error in post-production, the uncorrected version of the game was broadcast. We regret the error and we will make every effort to ensure this never happens again.
Wow. That's a serious "oops".
Complete with scare quotes? I.e. was it an "oops" rather than an oops? Was someone on the post-production team advancing a political agenda by making sure the public knew the truth about what happened? I WANT ANSWERS!!!!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm For the record, the replacement clue was "Bascilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe" and Jack rang in first with the correct response of "What is Mexico?"
Would they also have accepted The Aztec Empire?
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

I am relieved and grateful that they acknowledged the error and apologized.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 pm
1979 Constitution + religion = WECIB.
Zimbabwe?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm ...
Correction to Jeopardy! Bethlehem Clue: In the process of taping this clue, “BUILT IN THE 300s A.D., THE CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY,” we became aware that the clue was flawed as written and that determining an acceptable response would be problematic. In accordance with our rules and in the interest of fairness, we voided the clue and threw it out. We restored Katie’s and Jack’s scores to what they were prior to the clue. The outcome of the game was not affected. We then continued the game with this replacement clue.
Interesting... if and when the game comes up in the repeat rotation or on Netflix, it would be interesting to see that replacement clue!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MtlMike wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm ...
Interesting... if and when the game comes up in the repeat rotation or on Netflix, it would be interesting to see that replacement clue!
They showed it in the Facebook video. I quoted it above.