FJs for the 1/6/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/6/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

This book defines its own title as "concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers... was the process of a rational mind"
56%
Now with over 185 million followers, he surpassed Selena Gomez in 2018 to become the most followed person on Instagram
56%
It took the French Army until 1995 to declare him innocent, 101 years after he was convicted of treason
79%
In 1892 Francisca Rojas became the world’s first person convicted on the basis of this kind of evidence
85%
This country’s 1979 constitution forbids amendments altering its official ideology or religion  
83%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
23%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
FILL THE M-T SPACE $1600 box DD: The name of a French soldier with a rigorous system of training gave us this word for a strict disciplinarian
42%
1885 $1000: In March 1995 Russian troops captured this Chechnyan capital
30%
FROM THE GREEK $1000: The science of determining a tree's age by looking at its growth rings
41%
I have read Catch-22 or seen the movie version or seen at least one episode of the 2019 Hulu series.
48%
Lionel Messi was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
12%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I only made it as far as Zola.
2%
"F"OUR-LETTER WORDS $800: A stodgy older gentleman - I was correct with fogy.
36%
"F"OUR-LETTER WORDS $800: A stodgy older gentleman - I thought about guessing or did guess fart.
11%
"F"OUR-LETTER WORDS $800: A stodgy older gentleman - Thinking the word was "fogey" or "fogie" messed me up on the clue.
37%

Total votes: 98

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: FJs for the 1/6/20 week

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

However you spell it, it’s a “f”ive-letter word.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Odd coincidence that Buck Henry, who wrote the script for the film version of Catch-22, died two days after it was the Final J! answer.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops:
:mrgreen: :( :(
I think I had read about Ronaldo's social media following, and if I followed soccer at all I would have remembered his name... :roll:
I guess I was trying to think of a new country in 1979, and overlooked the one that had a revolution... :roll: :roll:
I read Catch-22 years ago and saw the movie almost as many years ago, and have watched exactly one episode of the Hulu series, but I'm not sure I'll watch any more...I kind of like Castle Rock, tho...
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have read Catch-22 multiple times; it and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and The Crying of Lot 49 define ‘60s literature for me. I find the original movie adaptation of Catch-22 quite good overall and much better than I expected it to be, but the book is just brilliant; I am a big fan. (I seriously considered using “ex-PFC Wintergreen” as my handle here when I registered.)

Couldn’t pull “Ronaldo” on Tuesday; knew it was a soccer player, knew it was Ro-something, but the best I could do was “Rodolfo” :oops:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First full week of the new decade, I'll take 4-for-5 and call it a good start on the year.

Pick a sports star, any sports star. Poop.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cthulhu wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 pm Have read Catch-22 multiple times; it and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and The Crying of Lot 49 define ‘60s literature for me. I find the original movie adaptation of Catch-22 quite good overall and much better than I expected it to be, but the book is just brilliant; I am a big fan. (I seriously considered using “ex-PFC Wintergreen” as my handle here when I registered.)
If I went with a Catch-22 moniker, I think it would be Popinjay. Then I'd sit and wait for some savvy person such as yourself to make the correct response. But I'd also be very tempted by Milo Minderbinder.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:08 pm
cthulhu wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 pm Have read Catch-22 multiple times; it and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and The Crying of Lot 49 define ‘60s literature for me. I find the original movie adaptation of Catch-22 quite good overall and much better than I expected it to be, but the book is just brilliant; I am a big fan. (I seriously considered using “ex-PFC Wintergreen” as my handle here when I registered.)
If I went with a Catch-22 moniker, I think it would be Popinjay. Then I'd sit and wait for some savvy person such as yourself to make the correct response. But I'd also be very tempted by Milo Minderbinder.
Major — de Coverley was my other idea. But Popinjay is very good.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I know I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd give myself a public pat on the back for finally getting a 5/5 week this season. I guess technically, it's also my first of the year. ;)

I've read Catch-22 a few years ago. I liked what I remember from it, but I'll need to reread it as a refresher someday.

I'm in the fogey camp. I was one of the few who guessed fart.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell