FJs for the 1/6/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/6/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

This book defines its own title as "concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers... was the process of a rational mind"
56%
Now with over 185 million followers, he surpassed Selena Gomez in 2018 to become the most followed person on Instagram
56%
It took the French Army until 1995 to declare him innocent, 101 years after he was convicted of treason
79%
In 1892 Francisca Rojas became the world’s first person convicted on the basis of this kind of evidence
85%
This country’s 1979 constitution forbids amendments altering its official ideology or religion  
83%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
23%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
FILL THE M-T SPACE $1600 box DD: The name of a French soldier with a rigorous system of training gave us this word for a strict disciplinarian
42%
1885 $1000: In March 1995 Russian troops captured this Chechnyan capital
30%
FROM THE GREEK $1000: The science of determining a tree's age by looking at its growth rings
41%
I have read Catch-22 or seen the movie version or seen at least one episode of the 2019 Hulu series.
48%
Lionel Messi was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
12%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I only made it as far as Zola.
2%
"F"OUR-LETTER WORDS $800: A stodgy older gentleman - I was correct with fogy.
36%
"F"OUR-LETTER WORDS $800: A stodgy older gentleman - I thought about guessing or did guess fart.
11%
"F"OUR-LETTER WORDS $800: A stodgy older gentleman - Thinking the word was "fogey" or "fogie" messed me up on the clue.
37%

Total votes: 98

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/6/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s NOVELS

1/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This book defines its own title as "concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers... was the process of a rational mind"

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SPORTS STARS

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now with over 185 million followers, he surpassed Selena Gomez in 2018 to become the most followed person on Instagram

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN HISTORY

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It took the French Army until 1995 to declare him innocent, 101 years after he was convicted of treason

1/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LAW ENFORCEMENT

1/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1892 Francisca Rojas became the world’s first person convicted on the basis of this kind of evidence

1/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONSTITUTIONS OF THE WORLD

1/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country’s 1979 constitution forbids amendments altering its official ideology or religion

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Catch-22
(Cristiano) Ronaldo
Alfred Dreyfus
fingerprints
Iran
The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 1-1-0-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested missed DD, on the players had correct and a triple stumper.

FILL THE M-T SPACE $1600 box DD: The name of a French soldier with a rigorous system of training gave us this word for a strict disciplinarian

1885 $1000: In March 1995 Russian troops captured this Chechnyan capital

FROM THE GREEK $1000: The science of determining a tree's age by looking at its growth rings

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
martinet
Grozny
dendrochronology
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/6/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  
:(  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:    

No guess on martinet though I have come across the word previously
No experience with the Heller work
Fogy as I have come across the 4-letter spelling previously. (Probably a crossword puzzle)

From the Archive:
#7779, aired 2018-06-07 IT'S HYPHENATED $600: An old fogey, or the object seen here [It was an image of stick in the mud]
#7035, aired 2015-03-27 "-EY" MAN $800: An "old" one of these men is conservative & dull by nature
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

No guess, Messi, Vatican City

Monday and Friday I had trouble coming up with anything. Both correct answers were "Oh, of course" moments (along with "1979, genius" Friday).

Never read/seen Catch-22.
I've only ever seen "fogey."
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never seen or read Catch-22
Only seen it spelled "fogey", but convinced myself it must be right anyway.

That damn Instagream FJ still annoys me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

I've only known it as "fogey".

Why do I always hit such a slump in December and January?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Had "Ronaldo," was going to count it as incorrect since I was thinking of the wrong Ronaldo -- but the judges accepted it on stage so I'm going to take it.

Gotta keep brushing up on geography and capitals.

Read Catch-22, saw the movie in the theater, have the DVD on the shelf. Good movie, though the book reads MUCH funnier than the movie plays. For some reason, lines in the book that leave me gasping for breath elicit grins and chuckles when said by an actor.

Have described myself as an old fart many times. But I don't consider myself a fogy. Or a fogey. Or a fogie.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Yay, my first perfect FJ week in over a year :mrgreen:

It was quite the trip watching the Goat episodes first, then the regular ones, each night. Felt like a horse stepping down in class. Went from feeling dumb to feeling smart lol.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :| :mrgreen:

Saw the original Catch-22, but I can't seem to recall any of it.

Got 'fogy' even though I initially doubted myself because of the five letter variant, but...WECIB?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:? :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?

Couldn't come up with any credible guess for the 1960 novel question; guessed LeBron for the Tuesday question because he's an athlete I associate with Instagram.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Lost a long post. Damn it.

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I wasn't sure how to answer regarding Monday's FJ, because I feel I did solve it correctly; I just didn't give the right answer. I was very proud to have connected "rational mind" to "clockwork orange" and my pride was scarcely diminished by the twelve hours it took me to get there. Within the 30 seconds, the best I could manage was "Looking out for #1", though i was pretty sure it was the wrong decade and the wrong type of book.

"Photographic" on Thursday; I just didn't think of fingerprints. Though 1892 may seem fairly well into the history of photography, I don't know when the first important "action shots" were taken, rather than the old slow-exposure portraits or battlefield aftermaths that made Mathew Brady's name.

I was lucky to pick Ronaldo over Messi, though the clue did have me looking for a soccer player from Latin America. I didn't know Ronaldo's first name, but I knew that he had one. Maybe i'd have added "Sr." in front for safety.

"Dendrochronology" would fit into a double dactyl ("higgledy-piggledy...") verse, so it's a word I keep in mind, though a good subject to combine it with has been elusive.

I have read and watched the circa-1970 movie of "Catch-22". Though I think the second world war lacks a clear international champion novel to compare to "All Quiet on the Western Front" for WWI, for America's candidate I think its only rival is Slaughterhouse-Five.

I think I'd eventually have rung in for "fogy", assuming the old neurons could have bridged the synapses in time. But that's very iffish.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mark, thank you for the last "fogey" option on this poll. I never could have gotten this right because I have always seen it as "fogey" and never as "fogy". "Fogy" doesn't even look like a word to me. It looks like a 5-year-old's misspelling of "foggy".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

My only excuse for missing Iran is that I was trying to play a free FleetWit race that started at 7:25, and I didn't finish before FJ, so I wasn't devoting my full attention to it. (This happened during the first GOAT FJ too, but I got that one right.) I have less compunction about missing Ronaldo; for some reason Selena Gomez's name led me to Rafael Nadal.

I got fogy; I play the game Puzzly Words extensively and I've seen that spelling there. (The same made it possible for me to get "boccie" in that I BEFORE E, AFTER C category almost a year ago.)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I checked the box for Catch-22 exposure even though I've only seen it as a stage play.
OCSam
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:23 pm Saw the original Catch-22, but I can't seem to recall any of it.
Not even the guy getting chopped in half by an airplane prop?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :( :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen:
Misread the clue, thought it said 1992
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Couldn't remember Grozny
Fogey has five letters! :x :x :x :x :x
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Said Silent Spring on Monday, China on Friday.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Shaquebanisa wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:43 am Said Silent Spring on Monday
I mentioned it in Monday's thread, but I was stuck on The Feminine Mystique for a good while till I reminded myself of the category and clearer heads prevailed. It would have sucked to miss that, since I've read Catch-22 at least twice.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No guess Monday. Somehow never seen the movie or read the book.
Messi on Tuesday

Always thought fogey was spelled with an e. Can't ever remember seeing the other spelling.