Thursday, January 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A new Election Day ritual is leaving “I Voted” stickers on the headstone of this historic woman at a Rochester, New York cemetery

John Cuevas: 22800+710=23510 (2x = $52,511)
Justin Weatherby: 1200+1200=2400
Christine DeLorme: 5800+0=5800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Susan B. Anthony

Daily Doubles
John: 8400+5000
John: 14600-3400
John: 14800+3200

Coryats
John: 19200
Justin: 1200
Christine: 5800

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
John: 13400
Justin: minus 400
Christine: 1800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double correct day for Alex.

Christine was busted for adding a title to the Tarzan name though not negged as she only lost her correct response. Justin was the next victim as he was wrong for how the bread falls, Alex said no just as Justin corrected himself and Alex gave him credit only to have to take it away after the break.

Where a response did not matter was angel's good enough for the more common angel.

John was the best of the three by far and could have had a higher total if he did not miss DD2.

My one neg cost me a run as I processed Battle of the Smithsonian as belonging to the Nic Cage franchise and knew my error as soon as I said it.

The FJ! clue has to go over 90% as J! loves her and the other best possible guess is not likely to happen in regular play.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

My thought process for FJ:
Spoiler
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, obvio....no wait, Susan B. Anthony.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/5 for me in PLACE-NAME NAMES as I could not recall Andy Roddick's wife in time and the TOM of "Just Go With It", her 2011 movie, was not going to help at all. That's a fair $2000 clue.

Justin mentioned The Visit and not winning the Tony.

This is a Playbill showing Justin's name: http://www.playbill.com/playbillpagegal ... ll&slide=8
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Champ has something in common. I was my mom's GPS when I was 5 because I read Michigan maps all the time.

Precalled Dr. Strangelove in the Movie category. All but Master & Commander in that category.

Had a brainfart on Entering the Language for $200. Somehow my brain turned "possessive" into "alliterative" and I was trying to turn "new year's" into an alliterative term. I already hate it when $200 is my only miss, but that one stung even worse.

Another brainfart on Belgium kept me from running National Coats of Arms.

Woman associated with voting? Must be Susan B. Anthony. I would be surprised if anyone missed this.

Lach Trash: scrub nurse, Seychelles, Ur
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $42,000 (46R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: suture, [Greystoke], Bronze Age, Black Angus (DD), Brooklyn Decker, Seychelles, Ur, [butter side down], love

John looks like he could go on a decent run. Nice bet on the second-row SJ DD.

I nearly negged with National Treasure as well. I did neg with Waukesha instead of Winnebago, I ignored the RV part of the clue and instead said, "Hey, all those towns look like Waukesha!"

Giving myself Seychelles even though I'm not 100% sure I'd have rung in for that for real. I was lucky, I was going for the closest of the three small African island nations to the east coast, but got it and Comoros mixed up.

Stayed clam on National Coats of Arms $1200, couldn’t decide between Belgium and Switzerland.

“Woman scorned” was the $2000 clue in Proverbially Yours? Ok then.

Glad that FJ clue was used in a lock game, I would've been so depressed to see that from second or third place in a competitive contest.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:28 pm Champ has something in common. I was my mom's GPS when I was 5 because I read Michigan maps all the time.
What's your score on the Michigan county quiz on Sporcle?

https://www.sporcle.com/games/captainch ... unties-map
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

True North wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm Giving myself Seychelles even though I'm not 100% sure I'd have rung in for that for real. I was lucky, I was going for the closest of the three small African island nations to the east coast, but got it and Comoros mixed up.
The "shells by the seashore" hint made that one easy for me.
True North wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm Stayed clam on National Coats of Arms $1200, couldn’t decide between Belgium and Switzerland.
I know that French is spoken in Belgium because we had a Belgian exchange student when I was a kid. The one before her was from Denmark, so I have a tendency to conflate Belgium and Denmark.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This show should've come with a medical warning that a certain clue in New On The Bookshelf could cause vomiting, upset stomach, nausea, etc. :twisted:
Somewhat remedied by the Heaven's Kitchen category. Liked that one. :)
Easy peasy FJ :mrgreen:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I could NOT come up with Susan B. Anthony, but I remembered hearing the story about the I Voted stickers on a grave. For some reason I came up with Edith Wharton and Margaret Mead, knowing both of those were wrong. Admittedly, a dingus brain fart on my part.

County line seemed mixed up to me. I thought the bottom row clue was by far the easiest of the bunch - Kansas + prison = Leavenworth? If that's not a Pavlov, I don't know what is. Unless there's some other famous Kansas prison...but I'm not aware of it. The others seemed a LOT harder.

Poor Justin - he was a good sport. My nightmare would misreading a clue like he did with the Dragon Tattoo - it's one thing to stand and stare, but another to know just enough to buzz in, and then get slapped with the wrong answer. Then he got clawed back for the butter-side up/down misspeak. Honestly, I thought it was weird that he got credit in the first place...almost seemed like you're allowed to give two separate answers if you speak fast enough.

Second time Yakov Smirnov was referenced this week. In Soviet Russia, answers question YOU!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I expected a reversal on the Lisbeth Salander clue. Pretty sure I heard John say Lizabeth rather than Lisbeth.

FJ seemed teen tournament level.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 pm I expected a reversal on the Lisbeth Salander clue. Pretty sure I heard John say Lizabeth rather than Lisbeth.

FJ seemed teen tournament level.
It also sounded a bit off to me. Solid performance by the champ and easy FJ. To me, the boards tonight seemed easy, as evidenced by the fact that I was 5/5 on a movie title category. :shock:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $32,000 (39 R, 1 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

6 unplayed clues, booooooo. TPTB: if you let me on the show, I promise to play fast!

Negged with Switzerland on $1200 Coats of Arms. Belgium was a slightly better guess in hindsight, but I felt like I stepped on a negbait landmine. 0/5 in Place-Name Names, otherwise I had a decent DJ round. No NHOs in there, just poor recall on my part.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 pm I expected a reversal on the Lisbeth Salander clue. Pretty sure I heard John say Lizabeth rather than Lisbeth.
Don't know if they view it the way replay reversals work in the NFL, but unless it's clear and conclusive, they shouldn't reverse something like this.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R (Missed Heavenly Hash, Ben Folds, Savannah Guthrie, and Brooklyn Decker(Name does sound familiar.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Greystoke*, Scrub Nurse, Suture, Los Alamos, Bronze Age, (Black Angus), Bismarck Archipelago, Seychelles, Ur, *Butter Side Down*, Love
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 pmPretty sure I heard John say Lizabeth rather than Lisbeth.
It's like "Realtor"!
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

What does the champ do for a living? I've heard Johnny Gilbert say it 5 times (DVR) and I still can't understand what he is saying.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DavidRosen wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm What does the champ do for a living? I've heard Johnny Gilbert say it 5 times (DVR) and I still can't understand what he is saying.
Is this helpful? https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone Or this? http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=13109