FJs for the 1/20/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/20/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Of the 4 jobs in George Washington's cabinet, the 2 that have been filled by women in the 230 years since
55%
This 1939 film was loosely based on Senator Burton Wheeler, victim of a sham investigation for looking into the Justice Department
79%
Of the 5 inhabited U.S. territories, this is the only one where cars drive on the left
68%
A new Election Day ritual is leaving "I Voted" stickers on the headstone of this historic woman at a Rochester, New York cemetery
96%
Now in her 70s, this author splits her time between Paris & San Francisco, often writing 20 to 22 hours a day on an old typewriter 
27%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
GRAVESITE OFFERINGS $1000: A glass barrier now prevents visitors from kissing Oscar Wilde's tomb with lipstick in this storied Paris cemetery
38%
EARTH HISTORY $2000: Around 300 million years ago, almost all of Earth's continents came together to form one supercontinent known as this
94%
NEIL BEFORE ME $1600: 2 years before Neil Diamond was born there, this "Laughter In The Rain" singer-songwriter was born in Brooklyn
56%
COME TO YOUR CENSUS $2000: Not exactly a laptop with 5,000 vacuum tubes & weighing 16,000 pounds, this computer was utilized for the 1950 census - I was correct with UNIVAC.
26%
COME TO YOUR CENSUS $2000: Not exactly a laptop with 5,000 vacuum tubes & weighing 16,000 pounds, this computer was utilized for the 1950 census - I negged with ENIAC.
37%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had Secretary of State though not Attorney General.
41%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had Attorney General though not Secretary of State.
1%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had Secretary of the Treasury as part of my incorrect response.
15%
Guam or America Samoa was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
27%

Total votes: 101

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/20/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CABINET POSITIONS

1/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 4 jobs in George Washington's cabinet, the 2 that have been filled by women in the 230 years since

1/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC MOVIES

1/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1939 film was loosely based on Senator Burton Wheeler, victim of a sham investigation for looking into the Justice Department

1/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. TERRITORIES

1/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 5 inhabited U.S. territories, this is the only one where cars drive on the left

1/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

1/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A new Election Day ritual is leaving "I Voted" stickers on the headstone of this historic woman at a Rochester, New York cemetery

1/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BESTSELLING AUTHORS

1/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now in her 70s, this author splits her time between Paris & San Francisco, often writing 20 to 22 hours a day on an old typewriter

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Secretary of State & Attorney General
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
U.S. Virgin Islands
Susan B. Anthony
Danielle Steel
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 1-2-2-3-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a triple stumper.

GRAVESITE OFFERINGS $1000: A glass barrier now prevents visitors from kissing Oscar Wilde's tomb with lipstick in this storied Paris cemetery

EARTH HISTORY $2000: Around 300 million years ago, almost all of Earth's continents came together to form one supercontinent known as this

NEIL BEFORE ME $1600: 2 years before Neil Diamond was born there, this "Laughter In The Rain" singer-songwriter was born in Brooklyn

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Père Lachaise
Pangea (Pangaea)
Neil Sedaka
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/20/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Clam on the census computer while knowing it was one or the other

Guam
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :mrgreen: :|
:( ENIAC
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

State/Interior (State I knew, Interior was fumbling for a guess); Judy Blume (desperation guess)

No guess on UNIVAC/ENIAC.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x
:| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On Monday State was the obvious one; I just didn't know which other departments were old enough to be in Washington's cabinet, and I said Labor just because it had the first woman in the cabinet. My dad had the advantage, having learned a mnemonic some 50 years ago of the cabinet members in order of presidential succession (albeit one that included Postmaster General and still had HEW) and being able to think of Janet Reno. Having missed that makes it sting a little less that I was spoiled on Friday's; otherwise I'd have missed an honest chance to get a 5/5 for the week. I don't think I would have gotten it (and my vote reflects that), but it would have been nice to try.

I negged with ENIAC.
davey

Post by davey »

:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Convinced myself Attorney General wasn't in the first cabinet...the lady on Friday has never left much of an impression on me...When I saw Mary Higgins Clark, I was sure that was correct... :roll:
I have no good reason for choosing UNIAC over ENIAC - I just took a guess... :)
Last edited by davey on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:| :mrgreen: :|

I was spoiled on Tuesday's FJ, but I'm almost certain I'd have gotten it. Anyway, my better half did, so maybe I should use a :mrsgreen: emoji there.

Thought of American Samoa first and figured it made sense because maybe in Samoa they drive on the left. With little time left I thought of the US Virgin Islands and wasn't sure they were officially a territory (what else would they be?) so I stuck with my wrong guess.

Almost went with Elizabeth Cady Stanton on Thursday because I associate her more strongly with New York. But my not always trustworthy J! sense told me, nah, they wouldn't pull that in a non-TOC. It's gotta be the obvious.

Barbara Cartland on Friday for lack of a better guess. Anne Rice is just too strongly associated with New Orleans for me to think those other two cities could claim all her time. If I'd thought of Steel, I'd have jumped on that train and added an e at the end because I forgot how the name is spelled.

Closest I could get to the correct cemetery was "that place where Jim Morrison is buried." For the supercontinent, I started with The Traveling Wilburys, but I corrected myself quickly enough that I think Alex wouldn't have had time to rule against me. Mrs P got Neil Sedaka very quickly. I'm not sure if an extra second or two would have got me there.

ENIAC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

I had ENIAC.

No guess on the misses.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|

No guess on the computer

Had State, couldn't come up with AG
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ?

Spoiled on the computer question. On the show, I guess I'd have played for the rebound.

Anne Rice on Friday. The pair of cities didn't sound good, but Paris is at least French and Rice did in fact live in SF at some point in her life. Assuming "old typewriter" was supposed to be helpful, I figured it might be difficult to get into the vampire mood on a modern device.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

Had Sec. of State, but also said Sec. of Labor, not knowing as to whether it goes back that far. Said Anne Rice on Friday.

Got UNIVAC, but NHO ENIAC.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Did not think of AG on Monday
Lost my coin flip between Samoa and the VI
Waffled between Anthony and Stanton, but went with the right one
Know nothing about Steel's personal life, so had no idea on Friday

Went with ENIAC, mostly because it recently came up in some other context for me and was top of mind
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:22 pmFor the supercontinent, I started with The Traveling Wilburys, but I corrected myself quickly enough that I think Alex wouldn't have had time to rule against me.
More like superincontinent given their ages.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Negged with ENIAC.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Aaaaannnnd, once again, bestselling authors is the category that does me in. Boo, hiss.

And yes, Univac was a gimme for the old guy.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:22 pmFor the supercontinent, I started with The Traveling Wilburys, but I corrected myself quickly enough that I think Alex wouldn't have had time to rule against me.
What does that make you and me? When they formed, Roy Orbison, the oldest member of the group, was 52 or about to turn that age. When he died, that left a whole group of men in their 40s. Except Tom Petty. He was 38. He did turn 40 before the group disbanded in 1991.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:06 pm
alietr wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 am
What does that make you and me? When they formed, Roy Orbison, the oldest member of the group, was 52 or about to turn that age. When he died, that left a whole group of men in their 40s. Except Tom Petty. He was 38. He did turn 40 before the group disbanded in 1991.
I'll tell you just as soon as I get back from the bathroom. (I would have guessed they were all a lot older when they were in the band.)