Monday, February 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Re: Monday, February 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Sweet merciful crap, that was an easy board. If I run a literary category, THE BOARD IS TOO FREAKING EASY.

Not the best written though. I couldn't make heads or tails of $400 or $1200 in Social Studies, and that "skimpy" clue in Small Talk was just stupid. Who cares that one gossip rag used a word to describe someone's freaking dress?!

I went with Tomb of the Unknown Love Soldier (sorry, I've been listening to a lot of Kenny Rogers lately) on FJ!

This clue just seemed wide open — really no TOM. Even when he said "more recent" than Vietnam, nothing came to mind.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I'll have to re-read some of those "Small Talk" clues later. I'm sure I missed an obvious hint towards "skimpy". But hey, at least I know what a picayune is now :oops:

For 20 seconds, I was locked into guessing one of the war memorials, but the tone of that quote bothered me. It didn't sound like it was dedicated to soldiers, but rather civilians who died tragically. Made the jump to 9/11 with a few seconds to spare.

This game was unfolding pretty much how everyone expected, until Justin missed that DD. The scores are close enough that they pretty much don't matter, so I still think the tournament is his to lose.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I rarely say this, but I basically agree with everything TPH said...

"wall" took me to Vietnam with the others. I bounced around other memorials, but never went to NYC... I suppose I see why it fits, but I wouldn't have gotten there on my own.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Outside of actually visiting the memorial, I'm not sure how anyone gets that one. This feels vaguely like a current events question, but current events questions are usually about something more notable.

NoName84

Post by NoName84 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Watching at my parents' house; my mom went with Tomb of the Unknowns, I went with Vietnam.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:01 pm

I also agree with TPH, right down to the same incorrect FJ guess that we had. The board did have a few clues that seemed kind of obscure, but for the most part it was ridiculously easy. "Rousseau's Social _______" at $2000, really? I had been pleased with the difficulty of the boards that had been used in the tournament (even if not all of them were well-written), but this one was too easy. I did enjoy The Rolling Stones category, though.

I guess the key to solving FJ was to focus on the word "day." Something told me that there was no memorial in the U.S. that had any connection with ancient Rome, so I dismissed Vergil as the TOM, and tried to find one in the quote but got nowhere. I want to say that it was a hard clue but I won't judge it until we see how it polls.

CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:02 pm

I got FJ, but probably only because I used to live sort of near New York City and heard about the memorial a lot when it opened.
I briefly thought of the Holocaust Museum until I remembered the category.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Austin Powers wrote:Outside of actually visiting the memorial, I'm not sure how anyone gets that one. This feels vaguely like a current events question, but current events questions are usually about something more notable.
I did visit the memorial and I still said the Vietnam wall.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:24 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sweet merciful crap, that was an easy board. If I run a literary category, THE BOARD IS TOO FREAKING EASY.

Not the best written though. I couldn't make heads or tails of $400 or $1200 in Social Studies, and that "skimpy" clue in Small Talk was just stupid. Who cares that one gossip rag used a word to describe someone's freaking dress?!

I went with Tomb of the Unknown Love Soldier (sorry, I've been listening to a lot of Kenny Rogers lately) on FJ!

This clue just seemed wide open — really no TOM. Even when he said "more recent" than Vietnam, nothing came to mind.
The literary quotes were high school or kids' tournament easy.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:31 pm

For "day" I went with the date that shall live in infamy. Oh well, no perfecto pressure all week now!

When I used to watch WWTBAM in the fastest finger days, I'd decide who I didn't want to be fastest from how players greeted the camera as they were introduced. Justin would've gotten a "slowest finger" vote from me. However, I'm dying to hear how his teacher literally saved his life! Hope Alex follows up on that tomorrow. Think it involved a man-eating beast? Or something less snazzy, like yanking him out of traffic?

Holy crap, how'bout Patrick's interview?? JAY-zuz Alex, just put him in the thumb-screws and ask him what you want to know already!

Then after demanding all that detail back to Patrick's conception, he lets Brooks get away with just higher education info. Pretty flip-floppy, Trebek!
Last edited by Paucle on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Paucle wrote:FHoly crap, how'bout Patrick's interview?? JAY-zuz Alex, just put him in the thumb-screws and ask him what you want him to know already!
I agree. The interview segment was all kinds of awkward.

Almost all of my grade school teachers were great, but my HS teachers were mostly sucky.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

From my recollection of the Vietnam Memorial, it's all wall - but it's just wall with names. No room for a quote. Not that I was considering that during the question.

CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Is it just be or when they all buzz, Justin seems to always win it...

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:06 pm

I got final partly because of the 'single day' part of the quote, and partly because i couldn't think of an obvious other answer.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by ej!fan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 pm

I've been to the 9-11 Memorial and I don't recall seeing that quote anywhere. The date TOM in the FJ clue led me to the USS Arizona.

Yes, a very easy board. I had a higher Coryat than all 3 contestants combined.

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 pm

It seems I am not alone in my thoughts about the game:

- The literary overlap category was something one might expect in the Teen Tournament.
- The "skimpy" clue was skimpy on TOM. I consider clues like that to be garbage trivia.
- Picked up some nice Lach Trash, but I cannot remember for which clues.
- The FJ clue wasn't particularly helpful, although the tone of the quote did steer me away from war memorials and I managed to get the correct response.

Given how close the scores ended up, hopefully the final game is exciting.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 pm

US. Memorials
"No day shall erase you from the memory of time", from Virgil's "Aeneid", is inscribed on a wall at this Memorial.
SpoilerShow
What is the 9/11 Memorial? Brooks and Justin both said the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial. Patrick said the D-Day Memorial.
Patrick Quinn: $11,600-$6,011=$5,589
Justin Hofstetter: $11,200-$6,401=$4,799
Brooks Humphreys: $8,800-$3,000=$5,800

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

jeff6286 wrote:US. Memorials
"No day shall erase you from the memory of time", from Virgil's "Aeneid", is inscribed on a wall at this Memorial.
SpoilerShow
What is the 9/11 Memorial? Brooks and Justin both said the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial. Patrick said the D-Day Memorial.
Patrick Quinn: $11,600-$6,011=$5,589
Justin Hofstetter: $11,200-$6,401=$4,799
Brooks Humphreys: $8,800-$3,000=$5,800

SpoilerShow
A minor nitpick....Brooks said Vietnam Memorial, Justin said Vietnam Veterans Memorial