Monday, February 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Monday, February 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

MarkBarrett wrote:When I saw the FJ category I eliminated the Arizona from my precall because of the previous Hawaii clue.
wasn't it just last game where the blind side was an answer in the first round and then moneyball in the DJ round? i don't think that just because hawaii is an answer they wouldn't ask about something in hawaii later in the same game—the state of hawaii vis-a-vis the USS arizona memorial seems less of a repeat than a movie based on a michael lewis bestseller about sports and an audiobook of another michael lewis bestseller about sports.

for what it's worth, i went with the arizona too, but i was fully cognizant that the "day" in the quote wasn't about the day of the event memorialized, so i had really nothing to go on other than thinking (vaguely) there was a wall associated with the arizona. i know the vietnam memorial is just names (we're all up on our linsanity, right?), so it wasn't that one. 9/11 did not cross my mind but if it had, it would have seemed as good a shot as anything else.
Patrick found none tonight and I'll guess he would have lost a bundle on the Media one. Any of the guys should have been able to solve the Caspian Sea one.
is nobody else going to call you out on this faintly absurd and totally unverifiable claim? what grounds do you have for this speculation? i agree that the caspian was pretty easy, but "social media" is not a particularly unfamiliar phrase, and with "networks" in the clue, there aren't really any other possibilities. it wasn't easy, but neither was it hard.

justin must be disappointed at being (essentially) tied after more or less dominating this game, but he's still the odds-on favorite tomorrow. i think he's a killer player, because he's got the complete package: buzzer, knowledge, DDs, wagering. if he wins, look out in the ToC. if brooks or patrick beats him... well, i'll be surprised, but i'll also be surprised if they advance in the ToC.

kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

I also went with Vietnam Memorial -- the quote made me think of how many soldiers were treated badly when the war was over and saw the quote almost like an apology for that sort of thing.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I, too, fell in the day/date/Arizona trap, but I think the TOM they were going for is "Never Forget," which is more associated with 9/11 than pretty much anything else (could be wrong on this?) and makes quite a bit of sense in hindsight.

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

fowlerism wrote:I, too, fell in the day/date/Arizona trap, but I think the TOM they were going for is "Never Forget," which is more associated with 9/11 than pretty much anything else (could be wrong on this?) and makes quite a bit of sense in hindsight.
To me, "Never Forget" brings to mind the Holocaust.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The FJ's this season seem to be either really easy or really hard. They seem to be missing that sweet spot in the middle where they're challenging but gettable. I'm guessing this one's going to be another one that's no higher than the low 20's.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:The problem with the clue is that the quote is appropriate for all memorials -- that's why they're memorials -- and there's nothing else in the clue that directs one toward any specific venue.
What he said.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Caught up on this game this morning...yep, really easy boards. (I ran 3 categories and went 4/5 on at least two.) Went for Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on FJ...I was zeroing in on the "history shall not erase" part of the clue. (I've actually been to Arlington and seen the Tomb, but naturally I didn't remember if there was an inscription of the sort there or not.)

Weird moment: I made the EXACT same slip moments before Justin did on "New York Public Library," where he almost said "libary" before he corrected himself. Spooky. :D

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

For FJ, I was over in Hawaii at the USS Arizona memorial, drawn in by the "day" part of the clue. Sigh. And I had been so pleased that I went 25/0/5 in both rounds. Easy clues, I guess, unlike last Friday, when I found myself completely shut out in the Potpourri category.

CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

jpahk wrote: (we're all up on our linsanity, right?)
:lol: I'm counting down the days until the other Lin - Jeremy - is a "Jeopardy!" clue ;)

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

jpahk wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:When I saw the FJ category I eliminated the Arizona from my precall because of the previous Hawaii clue.
wasn't it just last game where the blind side was an answer in the first round and then moneyball in the DJ round? i don't think that just because hawaii is an answer they wouldn't ask about something in hawaii later in the same game—the state of hawaii vis-a-vis the USS arizona memorial seems less of a repeat than a movie based on a michael lewis bestseller about sports and an audiobook of another michael lewis bestseller about sports.

for what it's worth, i went with the arizona too, but i was fully cognizant that the "day" in the quote wasn't about the day of the event memorialized, so i had really nothing to go on other than thinking (vaguely) there was a wall associated with the arizona. i know the vietnam memorial is just names (we're all up on our linsanity, right?), so it wasn't that one. 9/11 did not cross my mind but if it had, it would have seemed as good a shot as anything else.
Patrick found none tonight and I'll guess he would have lost a bundle on the Media one. Any of the guys should have been able to solve the Caspian Sea one.
is nobody else going to call you out on this faintly absurd and totally unverifiable claim? what grounds do you have for this speculation? i agree that the caspian was pretty easy, but "social media" is not a particularly unfamiliar phrase, and with "networks" in the clue, there aren't really any other possibilities. it wasn't easy, but neither was it hard.

justin must be disappointed at being (essentially) tied after more or less dominating this game, but he's still the odds-on favorite tomorrow. i think he's a killer player, because he's got the complete package: buzzer, knowledge, DDs, wagering. if he wins, look out in the ToC. if brooks or patrick beats him... well, i'll be surprised, but i'll also be surprised if they advance in the ToC.
i guess I know one person who reads my posts and doesn't block me?

the hawaii vs. arizona eliminator was my reaction to the fj category and my precall instincts. was there anything in the game about nyc?

my speculation about patrick and the media dd was his lack of success on his previous attempts where "the wall" and zola were easier in my opinion. if he couldn't get those then i think he would have missed the social studies one. guessing he would bet big is based on 6000 for his first dd and the 1000 (maximum allowed) on his second one.

justin was the best of the three in many ways in this game, but i'll disagree with dominating. the dd miss for 4000 and the error in fj neutralized his overall advantage. patrick and brooks hung in there well enough not to get smoked.

if patrick or brooks go on to win and make the semis of the toc know (stefan sure knows how it works) that your advance comment will be resurrected.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

i feel like i'm reading an e.e. cummings poem

only
the (parentheses(he loved)(them) so)

word(s)
are not
s(all over)cattere(the page)d

like this
(and get me wrong don't you)

but i like (really) the work
of e. e.
cummings
far and
wee
in a pretty how town
and stuff
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote:In hindsight, I don't think the "skimpy" clue was all that bad. Give a 6-letter word that means something small, and might also be used to describe a dress a woman might wear dancing. "Skimpy" makes perfect sense for that clue, it was just a little tough to get there with what they gave us.
If you type "skimpy" into Google, the first "guess" it makes to complete the phrase is "skimpy dresses." It's just a common phrase, so the People mag reference wasn't very important. I thought of it but wasn't confident enough to go for it.

I live in NYC, but I didn't know about the FJ quote. 9/11 went through my head early, but honestly, I didn't think they would go there...I went safely back into history to the Lincoln Memorial, though I knew it wasn't right.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:if patrick or brooks go on to win and make the semis of the toc know (stefan sure knows how it works) that your advance comment will be resurrected.
Speaking of resurrecting comments, remember when I went 3/5 with the only gets in a Chemistry category in my semi, and you wondered whether I could do as well against Vijay in a science category, and then I went 4/5 in Ores in the last game (with Jason beating me once to the buzzer)?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:if patrick or brooks go on to win and make the semis of the toc know (stefan sure knows how it works) that your advance comment will be resurrected.
Speaking of resurrecting comments, remember when I went 3/5 with the only gets in a Chemistry category in my semi, and you wondered whether I could do as well against Vijay in a science category, and then I went 4/5 in Ores in the last game (with Jason beating me once to the buzzer)?
Good one. Wait a sec, I posted something that turned out to be incorrect? I thought my daily jibber jabbers were always accurate.

You and Jason did well in sandwiching Vijay in the category and I would have lost a side bet on Vijay getting skunked there. What Vijay needed was a better TOC test in the clues. Bauxite = Aluminum doesn't cut it for $2000. Zn = Zinc is worth $1600?

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

pinkfreud wrote:
fowlerism wrote:I, too, fell in the day/date/Arizona trap, but I think the TOM they were going for is "Never Forget," which is more associated with 9/11 than pretty much anything else (could be wrong on this?) and makes quite a bit of sense in hindsight.
To me, "Never Forget" brings to mind the Holocaust.
I always think of "Never Again" in that context, but you're probably right.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

The St. David's Day clue could also have been correctly answered "daffodil," imo. They're a more distant relative of the onion than leeks are, but I've seen many more people wear daffodils as corsages.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Not the best written though. I couldn't make heads or tails of $400 or $1200 in Social Studies, and that "skimpy" clue in Small Talk was just stupid. Who cares that one gossip rag used a word to describe someone's freaking dress?!
I agree most of those clues were awkwardly worded. The $400 one:
"Days in the Lives of Social" these professionals follows them as they deal with prisoners, youths & the elderly
Because the clue supplied "Social," then "these professionals" stands for "workers." In fact, social workers are professionals, but just plain workers aren't. It would have been better written as "'Days in the Lives of' these 'social' professionals follows them as they deal with prisoners, youths & the elderly."