Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:34 pm
the route number is no longer in use.
They still do designate some parts of the road as Historic Route 66. I stayed in a hotel in Williams, Arizona 2 years ago that was on it and saw the signs.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 pm

7.) "This company with a sea name." Closed captioning said "C name" so I guessed Carnival. I'm not counting this as a neg on my scorecard, because I would have stayed clam had I not looked at the captioning.
You're not the only one. I saw the boat, heard the name, got set to answer "Royal Carribean", and then heard "the C name" and switched at the last second to Carnival.
Now swimming in the J! pool.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
They still do designate some parts of the road as Historic Route 66. I stayed in a hotel in Williams, Arizona 2 years ago that was on it and saw the signs.
This is true. It's Oklahoma State Route 66 in part of Oklahoma, too.

I ate at the Ted Drewes frozen custard stand on Historic Route 66 the last time I went to St. Louis.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got I-10 because it runs through Mobile. I couldn’t tell you much about interstates that run through other parts of the country.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 pm
I got I-10 because it runs through Mobile. I couldn’t tell you much about interstates that run through other parts of the country.
I guessed I-10 from knowing that the major trunk interstates are divisible by 5, with the 5s (5, 15, 25, etc.) running north-south and the 10s running east-west. The numbers get larger as you go north and as you go east.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:55 pm
I guessed I-10 from knowing that the major trunk interstates are divisible by 5, with the 5s (5, 15, 25, etc.) running north-south and the 10s running east-west. The numbers get larger as you go north and as you go east.
Plus, the 1- and 2-digit Interstates are the ones that go from one part of the country to another (like I-90 from Boston to Seattle) while the 3-digit Interstates are the loops and partial loops around major cities. Wish they'd ask me more about that subject, as that's something I actually do know about, as opposed to pop music and celebrity marriages.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am
The players sampled all six categories in the first segment and the scattershot approach continued throughout the game leading to 10 unseen clues.

James Harden and his team? Not with this threesome of players. Largest city in Brazil? Of course the Rio neg and no rebound.
I don't think the scattershot approach was the reason we didn't see 10 clues...
TenPoundHammer wrote:
DBear wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:09 pm
OK, How is I-10 a TS? :o
I wouldn't expect most people to know much about the Interstate highway system.

That said, I thought Route 66 was a baffling guess. That highway is such a pop culture icon more than 30 years after it was decommissioned that I would expect even the least roadgeek-y among us to at least know 1.) it wasn't an Interstate (although parts of its route were incorporated into later Interstates), 2.) it ran from Chicago to LA, and 3.) the route number is no longer in use.
Route 66's west coast terminus is famously Santa Monica so not -that- baffling. :oops:
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:

7.) "This company with a sea name." Closed captioning said "C name" so I guessed Carnival. I'm not counting this as a neg on my scorecard, because I would have stayed clam had I not looked at the captioning.
You're not the only one. I saw the boat, heard the name, got set to answer "Royal Carribean", and then heard "the C name" and switched at the last second to Carnival.
Even with the logo prominently displayed?
Hugo Z wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:30 am
Got the FJ thanks to, of all things, a Monty Python sketch.
I now wish either leiderkranz or Venezuelan beaver popped in my head during those 30 seconds cause Camenbert sure wasn't (and if it had, I'd have no reason to suspect it)

RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

John Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:07 pm
I found myself wondering if Audrey could possibly have been serious when she asked AT whether she might change her DD bet after she saw a clue she clearly didn't know the answer to. Sounded to me like a serious request. :roll:
Nah, just her bone-dry wit.
(Audrey is a friend...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:21 pm
I guessed I-10 from knowing that the major trunk interstates are divisible by 5, with the 5s (5, 15, 25, etc.)
Useless trivia question. I-10 intersects every x5 trunk except for 1. Which one?

1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Volante wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:43 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:50 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:

Even with the logo prominently displayed?
Yup. Partly was because I wasn't confident enough that I actually knew the different logos. Should have just gone with my first instinct.
Now swimming in the J! pool.

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by goongas »

If it ever comes up, and I think they have asked this before, if a cruise ship has "of the Seas" as parts of its name, it is a Royal Caribbean ship.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:48 pm
Useless trivia question. I-10 intersects every x5 trunk except for 1. Which one?
Spoiler
I-85, which only gets as far south as Montgomery, Alabama. (I've been to the I-65/I-85 interchange, where I-85 ends. I've also been to all of I-10's interchanges with I-x5s except for I-25 in Las Cruces, New Mexico.)

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:40 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
It's I-40 that parallels Route 66. I-10's western terminus is indeed Santa Monica, but it runs considerably south of I-40 and the old route 66 through Arizona, through Phoenix and then angles south through Tucson. I-40 continues across the northern part of New Mexico, through Albuquerque on roughly the same course as route 66.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bomtr wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:29 am

It's I-40 that parallels Route 66. I-10's western terminus is indeed Santa Monica, but it runs considerably south of I-40 and the old route 66 through Arizona, through Phoenix and then angles south through Tucson. I-40 continues across the northern part of New Mexico, through Albuquerque on roughly the same course as route 66.
The OKC-to-STL stretch was usurped by I-44, and STL to Chicago by I-55.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There's the cheese FJ I should have been given nearly eleven years ago! (Although it felt like a lucky guess tonight, so no guarantee I'd find myself $40,130 richer if I stumbled into that timeline.)

NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Completely glossed over Brie in the FJ! clue, went with Calvados.

DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

For final, I thought of Camembert and Champagne and wavered back and forth. I knew Champagne is a town and wasn’t sure if Camembert is. Stuck with Champagne as my guess. I should have focused more on the cheese hint in the clue.

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

John Boy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:34 pm
Plus, the 1- and 2-digit Interstates are the ones that go from one part of the country to another (like I-90 from Boston to Seattle) while the 3-digit Interstates are the loops and partial loops around major cities. Wish they'd ask me more about that subject, as that's something I actually do know about, as opposed to pop music and celebrity marriages.
3-digits are also spurs INTO cities, not just loops.
Ostensibly, 3-digits with even first numbers are loops around cities and 3-digits with odd first numbers are spurs into cities. A good example of this is the Baltimore/Washington area where the loops are 695 and 495, respectively, and the spurs into the cities are both labeled 395 (595 into Annapolis).

Also, 2-digit interstates are increasingly being planned and built as local corridors instead of "from one part of the country to another". Witness I-97 and I-99. This is a grab for federal funds earmarked for interstate highways and nothing more.
--
Drowning in the pool

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I felt I was cheating a little when I happened to spy the fairly small Royal Caribbean logo on the ship. The "of the seas" and "named after a sea" clues went over my head even though I sailed on one of them, but I'm decent at "name this logo" type questions. I'll take it.

I loved the "Can I change my wager?" question - always nice to see some personality. I've always thought about what I'd write for a joke FJ! response in a runaway game - either as a winner where I bet 0 or had no clue, or as a loser. As a loser, I might be tempted to go with "Thanks GEICO!". Winner? Perhaps "We hope to see you tomorrow - goodbye!" or "Promotional consideration provided by..." to create a small skip in the time vortex.

I paused the game when the "greater than" category started - for the life of me, I could not figure out what was "greater" about it. Basically an awards winner category. But cheers to the writers for an interesting board. Jeers to having 10 unrevealed clues.

$7000 in TS for me. Not enough for a win, even though I guessed Camembert in FJ! - I literally thought "are they tricking me to write 'brie' down?", but that seemed to weird and easy. I then figured it was a "name a French cheese that's kinda like brie", and got the right answer.

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

talkingaway wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:50 am
I loved the "Can I change my wager?" question - always nice to see some personality.
I almost spewed my coffee this morning reading through the hilarious comments on the J! Facebook page. So many people thought she was serious and lambasted her - "how can she qualify for the show without even knowing the rules?!" - until Audrey herself chimed in with a very polite "it was a joke". Much more polite than I would have been!
--
Drowning in the pool