2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by morbeedo »

Someone was kicked off my Zoom test yesterday because they couldn’t get their video to work. So definitely figure that out before your appointment!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I believe the show will go back to in-person auditions once COVID is over, or at least under control. Zoom just isn’t the same, and I think the auditions are great PR for the show. And I can’t imagine the travel cost savings make that much of a difference for Sony.

I’ve had 2 in-person auditions and 1 Zoom this past Friday, and there’s just no comparison.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:21 pm I believe the show will go back to in-person auditions once COVID is over, or at least under control. Zoom just isn’t the same, and I think the auditions are great PR for the show. And I can’t imagine the travel cost savings make that much of a difference for Sony.
I would think that the commercial revenues from a show or two would pay for the annual audition travel costs.
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

I emailed Jeopardy Contestants to ask but since y'all might also know....am I still in the pool if I had an in-person audition in June 2019? I don't know when they paused/unpaused for contestants outside the LA area.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

zakharov wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:50 am I emailed Jeopardy Contestants to ask but since y'all might also know....am I still in the pool if I had an in-person audition in June 2019? I don't know when they paused/unpaused for contestants outside the LA area.
It's been over 2 years, so I say take the Anytime Test and throw your hat in the ring again. There has been considerable turnover in the department in the last couple years, so who knows? If you snag another audition, leave it to them to tell you you're ineligible.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

zakharov wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:50 am I emailed Jeopardy Contestants to ask but since y'all might also know....am I still in the pool if I had an in-person audition in June 2019? I don't know when they paused/unpaused for contestants outside the LA area.
they said they froze the pool, but they aren't acting like it.

just take the test, and if invited, tell them prior to the audition what your situation is.

My in-person was in July 2019, and I had my first zoom in June 2021, and they knew of my situation, so I would expect your timeline to be OK.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I just now took the Zoom test, and Aaron told us first that the call, should it come, could take up to a year, but to feel free to retake the anytime a year from your last anytime. In my case, that'd be April, and as is evidently the norm, I received notice of this Zoom session in my email on Friday (the Friday just past).

As far my test went, I'm sure I passed with a few misses, about my average. I am a bit chagrined about one of my wrong answers, which on the one hand was my best attempt on something I didn't know, but on the other clearly something they would never ask about if it were right. I always go with my best guess (don't compete for "best wrong answer", for example), but this was probably a case where I ought to have reined in my instincts and just taken a dive. Meantime, I'm fervently hoping the tests are scored by computer.

One person was dismissed early, as his test page apparently didn't load. I wonder though if he misread what was happening, as my own page displayed the familiar round "still loading" swirl until the test actually began. Everything else looked all right though (purplish page with reassuring text like "test will start soon"), so I figured I was OK and so it turned out. In any case, Aaron said he'd give this man a new test time.

There wasn't really anything else; we all said hi or good morning but no real chat or interviews. Also, everyone seemed to be male, binarily speaking (I'm trying to be more careful now).
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:22 pm they said they froze the pool, but they aren't acting like it.
I know someone who auditioned in August 2019 and got the call in April for the last taping day of this season
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

FWIW the contestant department told me to go ahead and take the Anytime test at this point, so I did! Time to wait again....
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:22 pm they said they froze the pool, but they aren't acting like it.
I know someone who auditioned in August 2019 and got the call in April for the last taping day of this season
There have always been people who have slipped past the expiration date; but I think this was too much of a clusterf**k for them to deal with (not that I think it would be all that difficult, but this is just something extra they would have to do with no real need for the show to do it).

If everyone was frozen in the way they have stated, they would've told me I was ineligible for my zoom test when after my invite, I let them know my situation.
Total game show career losings = $171,522