2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:54 pm Zoom auditions with a 50-question test are coming for the cities on the list!!!
Guess I will have to pass if I get picked. I have no camera.
Do you have a smartphone? I think you can Zoom that way, although I don't know the specifications for J!.

You can also buy a basic webcam for $25 at Best Buy if you only have a desktop or laptop that doesn't have a camera attached. You could donate it to a local school afterwards if you don't want to keep it. I was a bit surprised that a desktop monitor with built-in webcam seems to cost at least $200 - I'm glad this is Jeopardy! and not The Price Is Right, as I wouldn't make it out of Contestants' Row with these price-estimation skills.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 am Maybe it's bad karma to say this out loud, but I kind of hope I don't get The Email this time around for a Zoom audition. Even if I never got on the show, I imagine part of the fun is physically going to the audition and interacting with staffers and contestants, and playing the game live. (Well, at least going to the audition would be for me, since my audition city is within an hour drive.)

More importantly: I want the Jeopardy!(TM) clicky pen!!!
I'd take whatever audition I could get, but I agree, much better experience in person.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Tips for looking good on camera for anyone trying out on Zoom:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/styl ... ticleShare
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 am More importantly: I want the Jeopardy!(TM) clicky pen!!!
Well, if you pass the Zoom audition you’ll get a clicky pen in the Green Room!

That’s my destination anyways!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:19 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:33 am More importantly: I want the Jeopardy!(TM) clicky pen!!!

I'm pessimistic enough about getting an audition in the first place, much less getting The Call. Plus, I need the clicky pen from the audition to practice before I get to the Green Room!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:13 am
dhkendall wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:19 pm

I'm pessimistic enough about getting an audition in the first place, much less getting The Call. Plus, I need the clicky pen from the audition to practice before I get to the Green Room!
Use the spindle from your toilet paper holder. It's closer in size to the real thing and it wants to feel useful again!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:43 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:13 am I'm pessimistic enough about getting an audition in the first place, much less getting The Call. Plus, I need the clicky pen from the audition to practice before I get to the Green Room!
Use the spindle from your toilet paper holder. It's closer in size to the real thing and it wants to feel useful again!
I use a dismantled usb charger for a car. The biggest thing is you need something that springs back up completely each push. Pens don't do that (at least, not without some extra work that makes it no longer effective as a pen).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:53 pm I use a dismantled usb charger for a car.
What kind of mileage you get on that thing?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:53 pm I use a dismantled usb charger for a car.
What kind of mileage you get on that thing?
17 city, 12 freeway. And I don't know either.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Is this the best thread to check for when invites to auditions begin going out?

Also, could I be added to OP's list, just for fun? 42, Providence. :D
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:41 pm Is this the best thread to check for when invites to auditions begin going out?

Also, could I be added to OP's list, just for fun? 42, Providence. :D
This is the place. I’m on mobile now so I’ll add you later.
AthenaTV

Post by AthenaTV »

Got my invitation today for a Zoom audition! Not much warning — the available slots are tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday. I’m so excited to have a shot, but I am kind of sad not to have the in person audition experience. I suppose I could’ve just not accepted a spot and hoped to be invited another time, but that seems risky.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

AthenaTV wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:16 am Got my invitation today for a Zoom audition! Not much warning — the available slots are tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday. I’m so excited to have a shot, but I am kind of sad not to have the in person audition experience. I suppose I could’ve just not accepted a spot and hoped to be invited another time, but that seems risky.
Very cool. What was your audition city?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

AthenaTV wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:16 am Got my invitation today for a Zoom audition! Not much warning — the available slots are tomorrow, Wednesday, and Thursday. I’m so excited to have a shot, but I am kind of sad not to have the in person audition experience. I suppose I could’ve just not accepted a spot and hoped to be invited another time, but that seems risky.
When Jeopardy! calls, you don't say no
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

what audition city did you choose, and do you happen to know your score on the test?
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:58 am When Jeopardy! calls, you don't say no
Amazingly, a lot of people do seem to decline the invitation based on the expense, the inconvenience, or other things going on in their lives. It's understandable that some people don't have a job that lets them take leave on short notice.
AthenaTV

Post by AthenaTV »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:12 am
what audition city did you choose, and do you happen to know your score on the test?
I’m Los Angeles-based, I’m wondering if they want to get a pool of people who can drive in if necessary.

I got my highest score ever on the test, 42. Usually I get a 34, and once I got a 38. This could be my year.
goongas

Post by goongas »

AthenaTV wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:33 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:12 am
I’m Los Angeles-based, I’m wondering if they want to get a pool of people who can drive in if necessary.

I got my highest score ever on the test, 42. Usually I get a 34, and once I got a 38. This could be my year.
Most likely, they had LA auditions before the lockdown, and they said to be ready at a short notice to them I think I read.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Does anyone know if Corina is still involved in the audition process? I was given an e-mail address for her. I thought I saw something on this board about a changeup in staff, but I can't track it down. Thanks!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 am Does anyone know if Corina is still involved in the audition process? I was given an e-mail address for her. I thought I saw something on this board about a changeup in staff, but I can't track it down. Thanks!
We have mentioned Maggie leaving, but that is all I remember