2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by DysonSphere »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 am We have mentioned Maggie leaving, but that is all I remember
Ah yes, that's what I remember. So the e-mail should still be valid. Thanks.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:46 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 am We have mentioned Maggie leaving, but that is all I remember
Ah yes, that's what I remember. So the e-mail should still be valid. Thanks.
I believe it was reported that Corina is Maggie’s replacement.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I'm glad I got to meet Maggie before she left.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Update on audition scores. I took the anytime test and believe I got a 46 or 47. The initial score listed for me is the standard test.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:02 pm
This.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Woof wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:02 pm
This.
I was also fortunate enough to meet Maggie a few years ago. I'm still calming myself to get past the adrenaline rush of being in her presence. :D
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

Have there been any reports about the Zoom audition process? I'm participating this week, and would like to know what I'm in for.

I ordered a webcam as soon as I heard about the Zoom auditions, but apparently it's still making its way over from China, so I'm picking up a cell phone stand tonight, so at least I can position my phone camera somewhere flattering (when I hold it, it tends to be too low and make my double chin far too prominent). I assume dress up, and generally treat like an in-person interview. I'm curious how the test works, is it still written or will they just have me say my answers, typing on the phone screen may cost me precious seconds.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

I was not called for the 5/4 zoom auditions in San Diego. Would be interested in reports from anyone who attended. (Also, any previous zoom auditions.)
dklee12
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dklee12 »

Flealick wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm Have there been any reports about the Zoom audition process? I'm participating this week, and would like to know what I'm in for.

I ordered a webcam as soon as I heard about the Zoom auditions, but apparently it's still making its way over from China, so I'm picking up a cell phone stand tonight, so at least I can position my phone camera somewhere flattering (when I hold it, it tends to be too low and make my double chin far too prominent). I assume dress up, and generally treat like an in-person interview. I'm curious how the test works, is it still written or will they just have me say my answers, typing on the phone screen may cost me precious seconds.
Hi,

Hopefully this is still in time to be helpful to you.

The initial Zoom session is a one-on-one video call with a J! staffer, consisting of a 50-question test and a very, very brief interview. They make clear that they're not scoring the test during the call, but that the entire call is being recorded so they can review it later. For the test, they play a video (visually resembling the Online Test) with onscreen text being read by Clue Crew Sarah, and you speak your answers aloud during the seconds between each question. (They do tell you that if you think of the answer during the following question, it's OK to jump back in with it.)

After that, a brief "Tell me a little about yourself."

Then they conclude by thanking you and telling you to watch for another e-mail in a week or two. (The initial invitation/signup e-mail also alludes to this: "Within the next couple of weeks, you will receive an email letting you know if you passed or not and what will be the next step in your Jeopardy! Contestant Audition process.")

There is no "mock game" as there would be at a regular in-person audition. (I suppose that might be part of the "next step"? But I really have no idea yet.)

The whole call was finished in under 20 minutes. I think your instinct to "generally treat [it] like an in-person interview" is right on. Remember to relax, smile, and speak up!

Feel free to reply or PM with any other questions. (I can't share or discuss the contents of the test, obviously.)

Break a leg!
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

dklee12 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi,

Hopefully this is still in time to be helpful to you.
Very much so, thank you! Pretty much what I expected, though it sounds like the interview is even more low-key than I anticipated, should be able to touch on the main points I planned on, but maybe not every elaborate anecdote. Glad to know there's no typing for the questions. Certainly feel a bit less nervous now, knowing what I'm heading into.

Been taking old contestant tests today, passing about 2/3. So there's no guarantee, but I like my chances. If I can get a good night's sleep tonight, I think this might be my year.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

I think my test went very well, am extremely confident I passed. Was surprised there was very little to it other than the test, a bit of small talk beforehand, but no real interview at all. Will be curious what the next step will be, both the what and the when.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Great information about the Zoom interviews above.

Is there any understanding yet about whether the Zoom interviews:
- Are directly related to the January 2020 Online Test?
- Are being conducted in waves according to the audition city we selected?

If so, is there a listing somewhere of which cities have been conducted so far?

Also, do we know if they include applicants who passed the Anytime Test?

EDIT: I see OP has been good about updating the list with Zoom session dates. Do we know if it is in fact being conducted in waves by audition city? Thanks.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 am Great information about the Zoom interviews above.

Is there any understanding yet about whether the Zoom interviews:

If so, is there a listing somewhere of which cities have been conducted so far?

Also, do we know if they include applicants who passed the Anytime Test?

EDIT: I see OP has been good about updating the list with Zoom session dates. Do we know if it is in fact being conducted in waves by audition city? Thanks.
some are directly related to the January 2020 online test; possibly all of them, but some of them could be from the anytime test.

They are going with audition cities previously scheduled, and notifying people city by city (or at least that's the way it APPEARS to be happening).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Seems logical that they'd go city-by-city. I'm not saying in-person auditions will happen anytime soon - they probably shouldn't and won't - but when they do, they can just start up with whatever cities haven't Zoomed yet.

I actually hope the fates pass me this round, but are extra nice to me next time. My current hair situation is...NOT good. :lol:
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 am Is there any understanding yet about whether the Zoom interviews:
The answer to both questions seems to be yes, though in both cases we're going off limited information. But based on all information volunteered by participants, it seems like they did Portland (which I believe had in-person auditions that were scheduled and then cancelled due to COVID), LA, and now San Diego. I wouldn't be surprised if they are focusing on the West Coast due to relative ease of travel (Portland's a bit of a drive, but do-able).

Harder to say for sure about the January test versus the anytime test. I haven't seen anyone volunteer that they didn't take (or failed) the January test but passed the Anytime test, and got an invitation. The FAQ for the Anytime Test says, "This version of the Anytime Test will only be available through late April 2020," which makes me think this is probably the time of year they had intended to go through the initial anytime tests and see what the results look like, compared to the scheduled tests. Not sure if that means they're being included in this wave of Zoom auditions or not. And not sure what the continued run of the Anytime Test means. Could have been extended due to its success, or could just be left up as a marketing move when new episodes of Jeopardy are nearing an end.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Just got an invite to audition; will be this Thursday. I selected Sacramento in the January online test.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Peachbox wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm Just got an invite to audition; will be this Thursday. I selected Sacramento in the January online test.
Congrats on the audition. Do you remember your score?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

It was 47, I think
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Peachbox wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:02 pm Just got an invite to audition; will be this Thursday. I selected Sacramento in the January online test.
Outstanding! Hope they have a category in the audition game about "Excellence in TD Hosting." Congrats and good luck!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Go, Peachbox, go!