2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by talkingaway »

nadroj93 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 pm COVID made the wait after a test even more maddening than normal. My city is Chicago and I haven't seen any updates for that at all ... is it worth holding out hope that they will be sitting on those test results until they can pull names for auditions?
I've heard of people who've had "passing" (35 out of 50 which IIRC was actually confirmed in passing recently) the online test multiple times before they got their first shot at the live (or Zoom) audition. I'm pretty sure I've heard 5 or 6 times as not uncommon numbers.

Of course you do have to wonder about possible errors - they accept a wide range of typographical errors, and they might "hand" check the 33 or 34 scores to see if there's another mistyped answer they can add to the database. But there's bound to be a few cracks. Plus the "answer key" the people use might not be reliable. Or there's bias - particularly if someone don't record all 50 answers, they could believe they put the right one down when they didn't.

I also wonder what they do with the scores. Is it binary yes/no - 35+ gets in, and everyone gets exactly one ping-pong ball drawn from the lottery? Could they have a quota system where they take an equal number of people who get each score - giving you better odds if you score more because there are fewer people with 36 correct than with 45 correct?

Either way, there's still hope. They probably want to do as few Zoom auditions as possible, and might go on an audition megablitz once the pandemic lightens up.
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:39 pm
nadroj93 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 pm COVID made the wait after a test even more maddening than normal. My city is Chicago and I haven't seen any updates for that at all ... is it worth holding out hope that they will be sitting on those test results until they can pull names for auditions?
I've heard of people who've had "passing" (35 out of 50 which IIRC was actually confirmed in passing recently) the online test multiple times before they got their first shot at the live (or Zoom) audition. I'm pretty sure I've heard 5 or 6 times as not uncommon numbers.

Of course you do have to wonder about possible errors - they accept a wide range of typographical errors, and they might "hand" check the 33 or 34 scores to see if there's another mistyped answer they can add to the database. But there's bound to be a few cracks. Plus the "answer key" the people use might not be reliable. Or there's bias - particularly if someone don't record all 50 answers, they could believe they put the right one down when they didn't.

I also wonder what they do with the scores. Is it binary yes/no - 35+ gets in, and everyone gets exactly one ping-pong ball drawn from the lottery? Could they have a quota system where they take an equal number of people who get each score - giving you better odds if you score more because there are fewer people with 36 correct than with 45 correct?

Either way, there's still hope. They probably want to do as few Zoom auditions as possible, and might go on an audition megablitz once the pandemic lightens up.
Those are all good questions.

I'm pretty confident I passed (got a 46). And I've been to an audition before, for the College Tournament in 2015 ... but I had the misfortune to attend a school that happened to make national news for all the wrong reasons the week of my audition. It's already a tight squeeze to get a tournament spot, and that certainly didn't help things. Been taking the test and hoping for another shot ever since!
brick

Post by brick »

nadroj93 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:55 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Those are all good questions.

I'm pretty confident I passed (got a 46). And I've been to an audition before, for the College Tournament in 2015 ... but I had the misfortune to attend a school that happened to make national news for all the wrong reasons the week of my audition. It's already a tight squeeze to get a tournament spot, and that certainly didn't help things. Been taking the test and hoping for another shot ever since!
Now I’m curious about school and incident.
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:07 am
triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am Does anyone have confirmation of taping happening, or information on when the new season starts?
It's hearsay, but a friend and former contestant posted on Facebook on August 1 that they had spoken to a real estate agent who recognized their name ("Is this _____ of Jeopardy! fame?"), and as it turned out, the real estate agent had recently taped in the first session of season 37.
To me the photo of Alex with the mail, dressed up looking show-ready and the new logo behind him was all the proof I needed that S37 games were being taped.

If there is a photo of the redesigned contestant side of the stage I have not come across it yet.

At this point I would say go ahead and use a fairly dark pencil to write in Sept. 14 for the start of the new season. Next week ask the Danny guy to forward his screen guide to the 14th to what his listings show.
My old friend who works on the show notes on his Facebook that he has been working, and getting tested two or three times a week.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I've heard The Chase has opened up Oregon and Arizona to eligibility, if it's true, I would suspect Jeopardy will be doing the same.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

brick wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:58 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:43 am Does anyone have confirmation of taping happening, or information on when the new season starts?
It's hearsay, but a friend and former contestant posted on Facebook on August 1 that they had spoken to a real estate agent who recognized their name ("Is this _____ of Jeopardy! fame?"), and as it turned out, the real estate agent had recently taped in the first session of season 37.
To me the photo of Alex with the mail, dressed up looking show-ready and the new logo behind him was all the proof I needed that S37 games were being taped.

If there is a photo of the redesigned contestant side of the stage I have not come across it yet.

At this point I would say go ahead and use a fairly dark pencil to write in Sept. 14 for the start of the new season. Next week ask the Danny guy to forward his screen guide to the 14th to what his listings show.
My old friend who works on the show notes on his Facebook that he has been working, and getting tested two or three times a week.

Serious question here:

I'm always hearing how we need to do more testing in this country; and at the same time I always seem to hear there aren't enough tests available to do this.

So how are there plenty of tests available for the world of sports, and even Jeopardy?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 am

Serious question here:

I'm always hearing how we need to do more testing in this country; and at the same time I always seem to hear there aren't enough tests available to do this.

So how are there plenty of tests available for the world of sports, and even Jeopardy?
Money talks. Michigan State developed a saliva-based quick test. Their funding source was the NBA.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:35 am I've heard The Chase has opened up Oregon and Arizona to eligibility, if it's true, I would suspect Jeopardy will be doing the same.
This is torture
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:35 am

Serious question here:

Money talks. Michigan State developed a saliva-based quick test. Their funding source was the NBA.
glad to know i wasn't missing anything
brick

Post by brick »

Serious question here:

That's a valid question. Sony has set up testing on their lot for people who are working there. Interestingly they are not set up to provide documentation of the tests to the individual workers, so when my friend had to get provide proof of a negative test to go to an in person medical appointment, he had to go somewhere else. So he got... either three or four tests that week. Sounds fun, huh?
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Just received a Zoom audition invite. I signed up for Providence originally.
piccolittle
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by piccolittle »

Just got an invite for Zoom audition. City was New York.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

My husband's Zoom audition invite popped up as we were watching today's J! season opener. We're in the Chicago area.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

It’s super exciting that Zoom auditions are going out en masse! I wonder if different cities are going to be auditioned together since distance isn’t really an issue anymore.
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

squarekara wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 pm My husband's Zoom audition invite popped up as we were watching today's J! season opener. We're in the Chicago area.
Happy for you (and the other posters)!

But also sad because I'm hoping for one of those Chicago emails. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

nadroj93 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:54 pm
Happy for you (and the other posters)!

But also sad because I'm hoping for one of those Chicago emails. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
Seconded, congrats and good luck to all soon-to-be auditioners thus far!

Seconded again as I also got passed over yesterday. There might be unclaimed spots to fill (or more sessions at a later date for all we know), so it might be worth periodically checking on just to be safe. Still though, you mentioned you're younger like I am, so I wouldn't complain about another year to hone your skills!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I really appreciate a couple of posters above telling us about what their Zoom call was like. I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly though. Would somebody mind explaining how there are 10-12 people per Zoom call, but you speak your answers out loud to an interviewer? Wouldn't you all be speaking over each other? How exactly does the question and answer component work, and somebody said you can jump backwards if you realize an answer was wrong? Would somebody mind explaining how that works? Is there a timer ticking down? Is somebody interacting with you at all? Thanks!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

DysonSphere wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm How exactly does the question and answer component work, and somebody said you can jump backwards if you realize an answer was wrong? Would somebody mind explaining how that works?
From what I gather from yesterday's message, the quiz will be formatted like the online version--type in each answer on your keyboard in a limited amount of time.
Usually, you'd have a little time to go back to finalize any skipped or iffy questions at the in-person audition, but I suppose you might not have that luxury in the Zoom. Our tech-savvy kids are going to be out of the house during my husband's interview slot, so we could be up a creek. We always get shrieked at if we stumble into one of their "remote learning" classroom meetings, so we don't know too much about it.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

DysonSphere wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm I really appreciate a couple of posters above telling us about what their Zoom call was like. I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly though. Would somebody mind explaining how there are 10-12 people per Zoom call, but you speak your answers out loud to an interviewer? Wouldn't you all be speaking over each other? How exactly does the question and answer component work, and somebody said you can jump backwards if you realize an answer was wrong? Would somebody mind explaining how that works? Is there a timer ticking down? Is somebody interacting with you at all? Thanks!
I'm curious what it's like in Zoomland, too. I saw one of the affiliates did a piece about it about 2 or 3 weeks ago about the new audition process - everyone seemed to have clicky pens, and the auditioner just called on one of the contestants who clicked in. I think it was only 3 at a time who were playing - perhaps with the others on hold as an audience? I think there was another round before the "clicky pen" round where contestants would take a 50 question test while being watched on their webcam - I assume the contestants' answers were verbal and the auditioners could score them? Presumably, the webcam part is to deter cheaters - personally, I don't think the 15 minutes of fame is worth cheating, particularly when you consider that if you cheat, you're liable to do poorly at best, and at worst become a meme.

Given that I was in line for Providence and there's at least one person who got Zoomed from there, I assume I got passed over. I even checked my spam folder, and unless Alex is offering me a way to cancel my timeshare or some portable 0xygen (sic) concentrators, I didn't get an invite. Honestly, not too disappointed - I'd like to play J! at a time when the world isn't (literally and figuratively) on fire.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Does anybody know if these auditions are only going out from the anytime test, or also from the official test they had a few months back? I haven't done the anytime test yet.