2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by DysonSphere »

I just wanted to pop in again and say thank you to everyone who described their Zoom auditions. This was my first audition after many years of passing the test, so I wanted to get it right, and your comments were helpful for mental preparation.

In case it can help anyone else, I'll describe briefly what my own experience was like. We received an email about 20 minutes before, providing a Zoom link, and asking us to log in 5 minutes before the start time. There were 10 or 11 other people on the call plus a coordinator. She gave instructions and some disclaimers and warnings and then provided a link to a slightly different version of the online test. The important differences were that clues were visible but also read out loud and you only had 8 additional seconds to answer, not 15. They recorded us while we took the test to ensure there was no cheating. All of this simulated an experience more like the actual show, which I assume was intentional. About half an hour after the test, I received an e-mail stating I had passed and there would be a follow-up e-mail with additional instructions at a date to be determined.
seattlecyclone
Contributor

Post by seattlecyclone »

I got an email invite yesterday. Not much lead time: my audition is tomorrow afternoon! :o

I live in Washington. I did an in-person audition in Portland two summers ago. Honestly can't remember if I've taken an online test since then.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

United Airlines has a destination guide with an interactive map https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... s-map.html

This shows no restrictions for most states, including California.

So what type of rule does California have that is restricting out-of-staters from competing on Jeopardy and other shows?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 am United Airlines has a destination guide with an interactive map https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... s-map.html

So what type of rule does California have that is restricting out-of-staters from competing on Jeopardy and other shows?
Is it California's rule? I thought it was Jeopardy's.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 am United Airlines has a destination guide with an interactive map https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... s-map.html

Not sure it's a California rule necessarily. There is nothing stopping anyone from being more cautious/restrictive than the law requires. I can absolutely understand not wanting to ask anyone to get in an enclosed metal tube with 100 other people for a few hours.

That said, if I got the call, I'd mask up, bring sanitizer with me, and make the trip!!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:48 am

It could be an industry/union rule, too. Of course, IIRC, I happened upon a picture of Richard Schiff back on the set of his ABC medical drama a week or two ago, and I'm sure the actors are from all over. But maybe the actors and crew isolate for 2 weeks after returning to CA before working...something most J! contestants wouldn't want to do, and/or couldn't afford to do.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:48 am

I can absolutely understand not wanting to ask anyone to get in an enclosed metal tube with 100 other people for a few hours.
I can absolutely understand not wanting to be anywhere near anyone who has gotten out of being in a metal tube with 100 other people for a few hours.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:20 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:48 am

I can absolutely understand not wanting to ask anyone to get in an enclosed metal tube with 100 other people for a few hours.
I can absolutely understand not wanting to be anywhere near anyone who has gotten out of being in a metal tube with 100 other people for a few hours.
While all these points make sense, my thoughts here was more leaning toward what others are doing at the same time. Mostly with all that happened with The Chase. First it was open to everyone, then only California, then Nevada became OK, and if anything happened after that. The changes with the Chase seemed to be going with whichever way the guidelines were; I just didn't see why Jeopardy wouldn't follow.

So does anyone know if Jeopardy is only doing "driving distance" at this point? If they are, are they making it a requirement to only drive to the studio on tape day and not stay at a hotel the night before?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:48 am

It could be an industry/union rule, too. Of course, IIRC, I happened upon a picture of Richard Schiff back on the set of his ABC medical drama a week or two ago, and I'm sure the actors are from all over. But maybe the actors and crew isolate for 2 weeks after returning to CA before working...something most J! contestants wouldn't want to do, and/or couldn't afford to do.
For the record, if J! wanted me to come out and tape but I had to quarantine in LA for 14 days, I'd find a way to make it happen. :D

But absolutely, not everyone has that luxury.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

The Chase is sending out emails to some who were involved in the casting process regarding availability in November.

I can confirm an email went to an east coast state.

Jeopardy may or may not follow.

As stated upthread when I asked about "California rules", Jeopardy may not necessarily do the same as other productions. Something I didn't consider at that time is J may be taking extra precautions specifically to protect Alex.
SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

I was invited to an audition in Chicago last August but had to cancel at the last second because of a family emergency. I sent an email to what I thought was the appropriate address and received no response of any kind. I was hoping to reschedule another audition or at least know that I was back in the pool of people who could be picked to receive an audition. I don't know what my status is and I'm not sure where to direct my questions. Any help/advice people can give me would be appreciated.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

SteelyPat wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:23 am I was invited to an audition in Chicago last August but had to cancel at the last second because of a family emergency. I sent an email to what I thought was the appropriate address and received no response of any kind. I was hoping to reschedule another audition or at least know that I was back in the pool of people who could be picked to receive an audition. I don't know what my status is and I'm not sure where to direct my questions. Any help/advice people can give me would be appreciated.
Since you never auditioned, I'd say just take the test again and go from there.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:39 am
SteelyPat wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:23 am I was invited to an audition in Chicago last August but had to cancel at the last second because of a family emergency. I sent an email to what I thought was the appropriate address and received no response of any kind. I was hoping to reschedule another audition or at least know that I was back in the pool of people who could be picked to receive an audition. I don't know what my status is and I'm not sure where to direct my questions. Any help/advice people can give me would be appreciated.
Since you never auditioned, I'd say just take the test again and go from there.
Yes, take the anytime test now, you are eligible to take it.
Tabby
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tabby »

Looks like another batch of Zoom invitations have gone out for next week. Part 1 for me is on Tuesday. I'm in Chicago.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Congrats to new auditioners.

Anyone from the last round get a follow-up e-mail for an interview? Nothing here yet.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Yesterday afternoon I received an audition invitation via Zoom for this week! It's my first audition EVER after nearly 18 years of trying.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 am Yesterday afternoon I received an audition invitation via Zoom for this week! It's my first audition EVER after nearly 18 years of trying.
Congrats, Kerry! Best of luck. You’ve already appeared on WWTBAM so presumably you have some idea of what to expect. I’ll repeat the advice given to me: be yourself, but moreso.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 am Yesterday afternoon I received an audition invitation via Zoom for this week! It's my first audition EVER after nearly 18 years of trying.
Well, this excitement was short lived. All auditions are cancelled due to the passing of Alex. My heart is broken in so many ways.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:55 pm
Well, this excitement was short lived. All auditions are cancelled due to the passing of Alex. My heart is broken in so many ways.
Ugh. I had the same thing happen when The Chase cancelled an a schedule audition when CA changed its policy about interstate travel.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:50 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:55 pm
Ugh. I had the same thing happen when The Chase cancelled an a schedule audition when CA changed its policy about interstate travel.
I've finally been able to get through a day without holding myself a pity party. I presume they will reschedule invites when the next host is chosen, but it really hurts that I'll never be able to have my own quintessential picture with Alex.

That's too bad about your Chase audition. Midwesterners always get the shaft!