Thursday, February 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RANKS & TITLES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Canada, Belgium & the U.S. are among nations that bestow this artistic title that dates to the Greeks & a tree sacred to Apollo

Travis Gaylord: 14800-5901=8899
Patrick Rice: 20700+11499=32199 (New Champ)
Cherisa Burk: 4600+4100=8700

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Poet) Laureate (Travis – Brigadier General) (Patrick – laureate) (Cherisa – Poet Laureate)

Daily Doubles
Travis: 3200+2000
Patrick: 7600+2500
Patrick: 11300+3000

Coryats
Travis: 13400
Patrick: 18800
Cherisa: 4600

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Travis: 7600
Patrick: 6000
Cherisa: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Travis must have heard all of us verbally willing him to get DD1 correct as he was not on it immediately.

There was another shot of Travis's family row today and twice in four days is indeed unusual. I like it and think it adds to the chat segment. Good for director Clay Jacobsen to be able to work out whatever camera/lighting logistics are needed for it.

Aww, the BBC/PBS art-loving nun picture went TS. A shame.

Alex could not recall RANKS & TITLES as a category for the FJ! round. The Archive can recall four instances:

#6994, aired 2015-01-29 RANKS & TITLES: In 1858 rule of India went from the East India Company to the British Crown & Lord Canning became the first holder of this title
#5851, aired 2010-02-08 RANKS & TITLES: Owain Glyndwr, who died circa 1416, was the last native of his country to claim this title Prince of Wales
#4831, aired 2005-09-19 RANKS & TITLES: In 1950 Pius XII was Pontifex Maximus; exactly 2,000 years earlier, this man held a title of the same name
#4461, aired 2004-01-19 RANKS & TITLES: Queen Victoria & Indira Gandhi each held this title, though only one was official

Today's clue had me doing a needless mental tug of war as I wrote Patrick's response and struggled with whether to make it Cherisa's response which I ended up doing. Turned out not to matter and it works out well when the players do that to remove any doubt if a debate arises.

Knowing the tree to work with made it a straight where to go for the title. I was happy it was not a sorting out of British things and especially current royals titles and such. Off the category I had feared having to do matches like Earl/countess, duke/duchess, etc.

Patrick was the best on the buzzer and 3/3 on his big clues to make the big payday. Let's hope tomorrow's game can keep the upward trend going and even improve on a 36,800 Combined Coryat and "only" one clue not seen.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

4/4 on FJ so far this week, which means I can already chalk tomorrow up as a miss because there are inviolable laws of physics preventing me from ever getting to check the brag box. :lol:
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Congrats to Patrick for beating Travis.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I guessed "Thunder Road" for the clue about "Born in the U.S.A.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Well, after all my high-flying Coryats of late, I really stumbled today. Five negs didn't help my Coryat, but if $18,000 is going to be an off day for me anymore, I'll take it.

I said "flame-retardant" on Hyphenated for $600. Judges?

====

The "Oppy" in Weight of the Worlds threw me off course because I had no idea what it meant. Opportunity, duh.

And once again I fail to claim Jupiter. Should I just accept that as a persistent recall gap?

First Name was tough. I got only $800 somehow.

All but $200 in "B" in Your Bonnet. For some reason my brain was picturing a fez, and I was trying to make that begin with a B.

"French" was MONSTROUS negbait on Suriname for $400. I actually said "WHAT?!" on that one. "Dutch Guyana" is utterly unfamiliar to me.

Foreign Language Mottoes felt very YEKIOYD. Those weren't remotely cognates, and there was really very little context. I took two years of German and could've taken 400 guesses without ever getting "time" in the top box.

I didn't recognize a single one of those directors' names, either.

Tree? Artistic title... uh, poet laureate? Laurel sounds like a tree.

Lach Trash: bicorn
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $36,400 (45R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

It was tantalizing to not see the last clue, but the way the games have been going lately, 59/60 ain't bad.

Flashcards paid off when I ran the Directors category. Two months ago I would have been totally clueless. Now, they're all gimmes.

FJ for me was a WECIB...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Suriname is Dutch. That's just something you're supposed to know. It's also surprisingly large--larger than Nicaragua, the largest country in Central America. It's a little bit smaller than Uruguay. It just looks tiny because Brazil. That's not relevant to the clue. Just something I learned recently.

Ran the Directors category, including picking up the Billy Wilder trash.

Went with laureate for FJ. Thought about adding poet. Decided it wouldn't hurt but wasn't necessary either.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Took a bagel in directors. :roll:
Ran '80s pop lyrics 8-) & Suriname. :)
Judges:. Danger-prone for accident-prone?
Had to reread the FJ clue to suss out what they wanted. Easy once that was done. :mrgreen: hi
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 pm Ran the Directors category, including picking up the Billy Wilder trash.
And Kazan.

This felt like the GOAT tournament except for Cherisa not finding any DD

Instaget WECIB FJ

Somehow bombed POP LYRICS, even missing Nasty (Control). By brain just can't parse song lyrics in seconds
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm Somehow bombed POP LYRICS, even missing Nasty (Control). By brain just can't parse song lyrics in seconds
Same. I found the first name category tough too -- Jane Smiley doesn't ring a bell for me, and Cosimo isn't something I'd be able to produce in the moment.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

My brain churned way harder than it should have on FJ!. There were so many possible TOMs. Is it the countries? What do Canada, US, and Belgium have in common? Nah, not that. A tree? Juniper? Are those in Greece? But that's not a title.

Finally, I settled on Apollo. Sun? Nope, irrelevant. Messenger? No, that's Hermes. Twin sister Artemis - no, that's extraneous. Oh, he has the harp-thing, a lyre. Music. Lyrical poetry. Poet laureate for the laurel tree! Oh, and that's what they have on the side of all those "Winner of film festival" logos.

I did type the full "Poet laureate", and I imagine there was a little bit of chatter in the judges' room if they hadn't already decided that just "laureate" was acceptable. Of course, there are other types of laureates (Nobel comes to mind), but I imagine if you were able to BMS "laureate", 100 out of 100 people who got to "laureate" would respond "poet laureate".

I am annoyed that I didn't run 1980s pop lyrics. I literally bounced out of my seat when I saw that category. Written for me. But I was killed by the Springsteen one. I thought it was harder than the Janet Jackson bottom row one...if you've ever heard that line, you know the end is "Miss Jackson if you're nasty". If you know she has a song named Nasty, you're there. Janet's tough since "Nasty" isn't as well known as some of her other stuff, but Bruce has so many hits that I clammed while mumbling "Dancing in the Dark?"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 pm Ran the Directors category, including picking up the Billy Wilder trash.
And Kazan.
Forgot about that! Yep. I wonder what made that the $1200 clue and Wilder the $2000. They both seem equally easy/difficult. And they're both kind of inside ball. They aren't directors likely to be known by people who don't pay attention to directors. But then David Lean at $1600 is sort of in that category as well, though he seems easier for some reason. And one of the contestants actually got him. Give Alfonso Cuarón and Ang Lee another 30 years and they'll be equally obscure if not more so. But right now they definitely belong in the two easiest slots, even though Cuarón was the most difficult for me.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 pm "French" was MONSTROUS negbait on Suriname for $400. I actually said "WHAT?!" on that one. "Dutch Guyana" is utterly unfamiliar to me.
Hell no on the negbait. The clue specifically said it was part of the country's old name. There is currently a French Guiana so it couldn't have been that. (Never mind that French Guiana isn't even a country.)
goongas

Post by goongas »

Forgot about that! Yep. I wonder what made that the $1200 clue and Wilder the $2000.
I knew Wilder but not Kazan, so I was a little surprised on the values of the clues. Jeopardy! really wants us to know about the Oscars, this year's ceremony is this weekend...
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Poet laureate crossed my mind, but I dismissed it because "artistic" made me think they were going for, well, an artist title. Probably my fault for putting too much stock into that one word.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I predicted Travis would wager more than 3000, to guard against a zero wager from Patrick. In doing so, he kills his hope of winning with an incorrect response. Second time he makes that choice and third time he lets third place back in the hunt for more prize money.
Too bad Cherisa held back more than a couple bucks to 'fine' him for the extra grand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I expressed surprise that just 'laureate' was accepted.