Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Learned League 84

Post by triviawayne »

Hoping to get out of relegation today at the end of my worst season in a few seasons.

Low TCA (4th worst in rundle) and high CAA (2nd most in rundle) really adds to the can of whoop-ass that has been opened on me this season. Really hoping to get another season in C to see what happens with my more recent normal.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Last day, and it's been a roller coaster of a ride for me. Not winning in the first 7 match days, then went on a streak to peak at 12th in my rundle, to losing 3 in a row, two of which by defense, I'm now in the relegation zone. A win doesn't guarantee me getting out of it. I might be going from E - D - C - D and back to E after today.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 am I'm now in the relegation zone. A win doesn't guarantee me getting out of it. I might be going from E - D - C - D and back to E after today.
There’s a nice symmetry to that
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:02 am I'm now in the relegation zone. A win doesn't guarantee me getting out of it. I might be going from E - D - C - D and back to E after today.
i read it backwards
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:29 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 am
i read it backwards
I ran the chords on guitar and it would sound a lot better if you went back to C, then D, then E (E - D - C - D - C - D - E ) :) Yeah, this was a pointless post :oops:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I honestly don't know how I'm in 1st place in an A rundle on the last day. I'm not even close to having the most match points or correct answers, and I don't usually get this lucky with defense. I guess I'll take it, though?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, I won my last match in a squeaker, 3(2)-1(2), and my friend ended up winning his rookie rundle by going 5(4)-0(0) while second place (who led him in MPD by 1) won 2(3)-1(2). Hooray!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

After five consecutive seasons in D rundle, I failed to exit the relegation zone and am back to E rundle for LL85. As they say, back to the drawing board.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

A distinct two half-seasons for me: after day 12, 0.819 correct. For the next 13 games: 0.620 correct. Overall it ended up ok, but the amazing start disappeared.

See you all next season!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Got a tie on the final day...got relegated on the final day. Would've had another chance in C if I got the win :(

This was not a good season for TCA for me, I was 3rd worst in my rundle, while of course being 2nd in CAA.

I'll be back someday C Rundle...I'll be back.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Tied the last day, which was good enough to keep me in 4th in B Horizon. Nice to do well but I have no illusions as to what awaits me in my second foray in A.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Prairie B's leader in CAA: 105
That's me.

Back down to C. That's me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Promoted to A Taiga. So strange because I had dropped from A to B and then down to C, then couldn't get promoted to B but got re-assigned up for this season, now I'm promoted to A! If I can improve my games/sports score, I might have a chance to stave off relegation for a while.

Just checked my stats, and this season is my highest TCA in 13 seasons
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My season ended with a whimper, losing the last three days. Still ended up sixth in A Fjord mostly due to good defense (.788 DE).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It felt like a tough season, but probably because I was fighting to stay above the relegation zone for most of it. It probably didn't help that my .600 defense was tied for my worst defensive season outside of my rookie season. I did end things on a positive note though with a 7(5)-2(2) win, and finished 11th out of 20 in my C rundle.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Ended up in 2nd place after a 2(3)-3(4) loss on the final day. That's more like it. I just feel sorry for the poor sod who had a higher TCA than I did who was actually in the relegation zone at one point (and just one spot above it at the end) and for the one in 5th place who probably would have gotten 1st if they hadn't forfeited twice. At least that's their own fault, potentially.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:14 am Promoted to A Taiga. So strange because I had dropped from A to B and then down to C, then couldn't get promoted to B but got re-assigned up for this season, now I'm promoted to A! If I can improve my games/sports score, I might have a chance to stave off relegation for a while.
I will take your spot back, moving back down to B, where I belong.

See you all in May!
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Won my last match but finished 5th overall on point differential. In a group that promotes 4 players. Grr.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Lefty wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 pm
StevenH wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
reddpen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm And I've gotten many of the season's hardest questions (Beverly Sills, Apu, Naguib Mahfouz) while botching apparent gimmes like Fatboy Slim. It's just never duLL.
I was surprised that Fatboy Slim played as easy as he did, since I didn't think that he had been relevant since...1999, or thereabouts. True, I did give my opponent a 0 (and they missed it), but that had more to do with them having a decent career get rate in pop music and I having a hard time deciding how to assign defense on that particular set than believing that the question was objectively easy.
Didn't he feature in a recent question about people with "slim" as a nickname, or part of their stage name?
He wasn't among those mentioned in this one.
Good lord, I've had this video (Christopher Walken dancing to "Weapon of Choice") saved in my Google account profile for about three years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8
In and out of the pool four times
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

reddpen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 pm
Lefty wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 pm
StevenH wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
reddpen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm And I've gotten many of the season's hardest questions (Beverly Sills, Apu, Naguib Mahfouz) while botching apparent gimmes like Fatboy Slim. It's just never duLL.
I was surprised that Fatboy Slim played as easy as he did, since I didn't think that he had been relevant since...1999, or thereabouts. True, I did give my opponent a 0 (and they missed it), but that had more to do with them having a decent career get rate in pop music and I having a hard time deciding how to assign defense on that particular set than believing that the question was objectively easy.
Didn't he feature in a recent question about people with "slim" as a nickname, or part of their stage name?
He wasn't among those mentioned in this one.
Good lord, I've had this video (Christopher Walken dancing to "Weapon of Choice") saved in my Google account profile for about three years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8
The barbershop I go to has a photo of Christopher Walken. Underneath the photo:"Walkens Welcome".