Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Re: Learned League 84

Post by georgespelvin »

I WAGed on Bryan Ferry for the mime, thinking that it was a logical guess of a British rocker of the early '70s. I considered George Harrison because of his cheeky sense of humor and appearances with Monty Python people, but thought that he would be too famous (of course Bowie is pretty famous).

I won my rundle in the '70s ML with a 10-1 record. I was undefeated until Monday, when I played an opponent who had one loss and beat me 9(6)-7(5) (I missed the Springsteen question). That dropped me into second on a tiebreaker, but my opponent surprisingly lost the next day, giving me first again and I never relinquished it.

Given that I had a crush on Stevie Nicks growing up, I truly appreciated the first two questions yesterday although by then I had clinched my rundle anyway. My best gets of the week were probably Fanny and "Magnet and Steel". Fanny helped me edge out a win against the other tough opponent in my rundle.

I started out with a win in the Theatre ML with five correct, but I confess that I thought they were pretty easy questions (some of which you did not really need to know theater to get). I would have gotten all six if I had really thought about the most logical answer to the "Henriad" one.
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:52 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm I actually LOLed at the MCWA of Marcel Marceau for Q5 yesterday.
I can name one mime so my choices were limited.
I can also name Shields and Yarnell, but none of those three would have also been British musicians, so I had no clue.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:28 am Given that I had a crush on Stevie Nicks growing up, I truly appreciated the first two questions yesterday although by then I had clinched my rundle anyway. My best gets of the week were probably Fanny and "Magnet and Steel".
I was surprised so few people got "Magnet and Steel," but I suppose it is a 40+ year old song by a one hit wonder.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:17 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:28 am Given that I had a crush on Stevie Nicks growing up, I truly appreciated the first two questions yesterday although by then I had clinched my rundle anyway. My best gets of the week were probably Fanny and "Magnet and Steel".
I was surprised so few people got "Magnet and Steel," but I suppose it is a 40+ year old song by a one hit wonder.
The name Walter Egan was familiar to me, but I couldn’t place a song to his name.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:23 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:17 pm
The name Walter Egan was familiar to me, but I couldn’t place a song to his name.
I can hear "Magnet and Steel" in my mind's ear, but the name Walter Egan is not even close to a blur.

And speaking of Kenny Loggins -- question 2, somehow connected to the M&S question -- "House At Pooh Corner" is one of the most incredible songs from the 1970s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbt0Ik_LL2M. One of those songs that always give me a chill when I hear it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

A PSA in case someone else has forgotten they registered for the Psychology ML. Log in and play today. I don't think I got a reminder, but if I did, I lost it in the haze. I sure don't remember signing up for it :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Seeing Ike Barinholtz and Dave Weigel on Millionaire and thinly hiding their LL association, I was wondering (besides Mick Mulvaney) who the other "famous" (not Jeopardy types) people in LL. I think a few others have been mentioned in the past, but I can't remember who they are.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

QuindlenA and BenioffD... and my unconfirmed hunch is Tablesaw is some sort of puzzle world stalwart.
In and out of the pool four times
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

BaysC co-created "How I Met Your Mother". There are a few others listed in the league's Wikipedia article.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:25 am A PSA in case someone else has forgotten they registered for the Psychology ML. Log in and play today. I don't think I got a reminder, but if I did, I lost it in the haze. I sure don't remember signing up for it :lol:.
Which Theatre group are you in? I'm in 38
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:37 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:25 am A PSA in case someone else has forgotten they registered for the Psychology ML. Log in and play today. I don't think I got a reminder, but if I did, I lost it in the haze. I sure don't remember signing up for it :lol:.
Which Theatre group are you in? I'm in 38
And you are leading, as expected! I've gotten more selective in what I join and now regret the Psychology one, that sucker is very YEKIOYD and I will have a few goose eggs. No way I enter the Theater ML and risk my perfect 0-12 Theater score in LL. I just reviewed the Theater questions and would have 3 right by now with Godot, Bohr, and Green room. I thought I finally had one in LL84 with The Mouse that Roared, but it came up as another category.

I've introduced LL to my sibs and got 3 rookies spawning on the black sheep branch of the morbeedo tree :). Three of us went to a 2-room country schoolhouse and we are going to show up our younger sister who was the first family member to go to kindergarten :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:40 pmI've introduced LL to my sibs and got 3 rookies spawning on the black sheep branch of the morbeedo tree :). Three of us went to a 2-room country schoolhouse and we are going to show up our younger sister who was the first family member to go to kindergarten :lol:.
I love this!
Woof

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 pm BaysC co-created "How I Met Your Mother". There are a few others listed in the league's Wikipedia article.
OkrentD was one of the inventors of Rotisserie baseball
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Well, that was an ego boost and a big surprise. Just beat a certain BackesER in the architecture ML. Had a lucky get on the Temple of the Golden Pavilion, though I may have had it in the back of my mind. Got assigned 3 for Ethiopia, which was a nice reward for always having wanted to go see those churches. Ended up winning 6(4)-3(3).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Doing better in the Theater ML than I expected. But I probably won’t enjoy Monday when I face ChernicoffS
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

My lifetime record against LabbettM is something like 2-1, but he's not in LL anymore. Boy it was exciting to have him come up in the schedule, though. A couple of the other Chasers still play though.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

alietr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:37 pm Seeing Ike Barinholtz and Dave Weigel on Millionaire and thinly hiding their LL association, I was wondering (besides Mick Mulvaney) who the other "famous" (not Jeopardy types) people in LL. I think a few others have been mentioned in the past, but I can't remember who they are.
MazinC appears to be Craig Mazin.

Edit: Oh, and Helen Rosner plays too
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Theatre MD6 Q6
Spoiler
While tragedies were not uncommon during the Restoration period of English theater (1660-1700 AD), the period is best known for what witty three-word theater style that satirized the affectations of people and often their entire social classes?
I struggled with this one. I get what they were going for with the tragedy hint, but I don’t think it’s a great question. Witty three-word theatre style? I was looking for a witty name but couldn’t come up with much of anything. Missed the question for 3 points and tied :/
Woof

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:34 pm Theatre MD6 Q6
Spoiler
While tragedies were not uncommon during the Restoration period of English theater (1660-1700 AD), the period is best known for what witty three-word theater style that satirized the affectations of people and often their entire social classes?
I struggled with this one. I get what they were going for with the tragedy hint, but I don’t think it’s a great question. Witty three-word theatre style? I was looking for a witty name but couldn’t come up with much of anything. Missed the question for 3 points and tied :/
I presume they were looking for
Spoiler
Comedy of Manners
?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:52 am My lifetime record against LabbettM is something like 2-1, but he's not in LL anymore. Boy it was exciting to have him come up in the schedule, though. A couple of the other Chasers still play though.
The one time I was against him, he forfeited. I did beat him on FleetWit once, though.