Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 84

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:24 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 am Today I had a failure. I somehow read the question about Elizabeth II's newest great-grandchild as saying its name was the same length as hers. I thought, "Well, he's Archie, but A-R-C-H-I-B-A-L-D; E-L-I-Z-A-B-E-T-H. Both nine letters, there you go!"
Same. When I saw the answer after submitting it still took me embarrassingly long to figure out how Archie was correct. I think I re-read the q 4 times before I figured it out.
I didn't figure it out until after I submitted...luckily it didn't cost me the win. "Archie's only six letters...I guess Charlotte was more recent than I thought?"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

boson wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 am Today I had a failure. I somehow read the question about Elizabeth II's newest great-grandchild as saying its name was the same length as hers. I thought, "Well, he's Archie, but A-R-C-H-I-B-A-L-D; E-L-I-Z-A-B-E-T-H. Both nine letters, there you go!" I tied 6(4)-6(4), with that question being worth 2 points for me.
I thought of Archie, and thought of his mother Megan and couldn't make it work. I had no idea there was a phantom H. It didn't a win, just a beer.
Thought I instagot with Charlotte (nine letters, just like Elizabeth). Got lucky, my opponent zeroed it and I won 8(4) 6(4). They say there's no education in the second kick of a mule but for some of us there is, at least I hope there is. RTFQ
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 am Today I had a failure. I somehow read the question about Elizabeth II's newest great-grandchild as saying its name was the same length as hers. I thought, "Well, he's Archie, but A-R-C-H-I-B-A-L-D; E-L-I-Z-A-B-E-T-H. Both nine letters, there you go!" I tied 6(4)-6(4), with that question being worth 2 points for me.
I thought of Archie, and thought of his mother Megan and couldn't make it work. I had no idea there was a phantom H. It didn't a win, just a beer.
If you knew her actual first name was Rachel, that would have helped, too. :)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Q1. LITERATURE - The Children of Gebalaawi, The Thief and the Dogs, the Cairo Trilogy, and Miramar are all works of what African novelist, who survived an assassination attempt in October 1994? NAGUIB MAHFOUZ
I got this one from Prisoner of Trebekistan, but I bobbled the name, thanks to comic book writer Jim Mahfoud. Fortunately translation from the Arabic is inconsistent, and "Mahfoud" was counted correct.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had my first day this season with 5 or more correct, with a 7(5)-6(4) win.

On the last question I spent a lot of time deliberating between guessing The Heidi Chronicles or an August Wilson play. I can't say that I have ever heard of either of the films or playwrights who were referenced in that question.

I am still hanging on to continuing in C, but if the season ended now then I would have my worst defensive season ever outside of my rookie season.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was marked wrong for genghis khan. TMI! I was 4/6 but pulled out the win. I’m on a nice little winning streak but still mired in the middle of my rundown.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I was initially mad at Thorsten for exposing us to Royal family information, but I realize that by putting the question last, I could have protected myself from unwanted knowledge by limiting my scroll down :lol: . I will remember that lesson if a Kardashian question comes up. It would be nice to have a checkbox to keep unwanted answers hidden.

Congrats to Classic Roadster for clinching the JBoard dummy private rundle :D . This feat is at least comparable to winning the NFC East :lol:. I was still mathematically viable after MD22, but it would have taken a forfeit gift since I couldn't make up 37 points MPD in the three remaining games. The actual season was like one of those boxing matches where some poor sap gets pounded pillar to post and the judges score it as 10-9. My goal is to make it to match 23 next time, if I get a rematch :).

The last 7 games have been brutal for me, only winning 1 in the dummy rundle and 2 in D Taiga, going from 4th to 10th. A couple of bad choices, like giving away "TV Guide" AND assigning it 3. I read through the "publication" hint and just guessed "Top 40" as a synonym for Pop music.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

We've got a barn burner going on in Fjord A for the third spot. Right now third place has 28 points, but two of us are sitting at 27 (one of them being me), and one at 26 (FrankJ) and one just behind him at 25. Took a tough loss yesterday 4(4)-6(4) the differentiator being Mahfouz which I assigned three points to and he got it right. I missed that one and #6 (Sissy Spacek). He missed origin (you kiddin' me?) and #6. Damn you defense. Damn you to hell!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said Places in the Heart as a wild guess for the play/film. I was halfway there!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bomtr has pretty much wrapped up A Continental (along with Maso) and is vying with Teapot for the Jboard Private Rundle (Premier League). I’m in 4th and trying to work my way up into Chapionship territory (the less said about my Orivate Rundle performance the better).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I actually have 6 wins, which is one more than I had in my maiden journey to A Taiga, so goals met!

And then I'll get relegated back to B where I belong. :)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

With two matches to go, A Magnolia has tons of parity, with only one championship spot locked up, and 13 others have a mathematical chance of making it. 10 people have a chance of being relegated, but unfortunately cmp146 has one such spot locked up with only two wins despite a reasonable qpct. Expect her name to show on the "least lucky llamas" list someone calculates each season.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:49 pm Bomtr has pretty much wrapped up A Continental (along with Maso) and is vying with Teapot for the Jboard Private Rundle (Premier League). I’m in 4th and trying to work my way up into Chapionship territory (the less said about my Orivate Rundle performance the better).
I'm just behind you in 5th but trail by 3 points, so mathematically I could still make Champ but odds are against it. Oddly I've beaten everyone above me (bomtr, Woof + two non-boardies) and slam who's in 6th. My five 6-packs so far tie my best season ever. My lone Dolly came when rundle DE leader hbomb gave me 0 for Scipio, whose name I had zero chance of pulling. And I've gotten many of the season's hardest questions (Beverly Sills, Apu, Naguib Mahfouz) while botching apparent gimmes like Fatboy Slim. It's just never duLL.
In and out of the pool four times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I've avoided relegation. Didn't meet my secondary objective of 11 wins to tie my D record, but I should be able to get that next season (only needing, at most, 4, which seems doable).

Kinda hoping I get another tie in these last two games, so I can set a new personal record for ties in a season.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

reddpen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm And I've gotten many of the season's hardest questions (Beverly Sills, Apu, Naguib Mahfouz) while botching apparent gimmes like Fatboy Slim. It's just never duLL.
I was surprised that Fatboy Slim played as easy as he did, since I didn't think that he had been relevant since...1999, or thereabouts. True, I did give my opponent a 0 (and they missed it), but that had more to do with them having a decent career get rate in pop music and I having a hard time deciding how to assign defense on that particular set than believing that the question was objectively easy.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LL has been all over the place for me. I survived a few seasons in A Taiga, then got relegated to B Taiga and then again to C Taiga.

Couldn’t get promoted out of C, but did eventually get reassigned up to B. Now I’ve been in the promotion zone for most of the season. Let’s see what the last 2 match days bring.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

StevenH wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm
reddpen wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 pm And I've gotten many of the season's hardest questions (Beverly Sills, Apu, Naguib Mahfouz) while botching apparent gimmes like Fatboy Slim. It's just never duLL.
I was surprised that Fatboy Slim played as easy as he did, since I didn't think that he had been relevant since...1999, or thereabouts. True, I did give my opponent a 0 (and they missed it), but that had more to do with them having a decent career get rate in pop music and I having a hard time deciding how to assign defense on that particular set than believing that the question was objectively easy.
Didn't he feature in a recent question about people with "slim" as a nickname, or part of their stage name? If so, remembering it would have been my only real chance to get this right, which I didn't (I guessed Dr. Demento, though I sensed he peaked somewhat earlier).

I got Apu because "Apu trilogy" did ring a bell. Crimes of the Heart came to me after some thought, which was nice because the other play/movie wouldn't have. Both featured in this FJ that I remembered. Final Jeopardy exposure, in my experience, is the best way to cement a fact in the head.

I also missed with Cabo Verde, despite also having a pretty good score in geography. When I learned Rio Muni isn't a country (it took some practice to not enter it on Sporcle quizzes), that would have been the time to learn what it actually is, but alas.
I'm smart and I want respect.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:13 pm Congrats to Classic Roadster for clinching the JBoard dummy private rundle :D . This feat is at least comparable to winning the NFC East :lol:. I was still mathematically viable after MD22, but it would have taken a forfeit gift since I couldn't make up 37 points MPD in the three remaining games. The actual season was like one of those boxing matches where some poor sap gets pounded pillar to post and the judges score it as 10-9. My goal is to make it to match 23 next time, if I get a rematch :).

The last 7 games have been brutal for me, only winning 1 in the dummy rundle and 2 in D Taiga, going from 4th to 10th. A couple of bad choices, like giving away "TV Guide" AND assigning it 3. I read through the "publication" hint and just guessed "Top 40" as a synonym for Pop music.
Anytime...it is interesting playing the same person everyday but I do hope for more participants next season! I did enjoy those 3 points for TV Guide when there was an obscure lit question on the board...
My goal each season is generally to get promoted to C and 75 TCA. Well I got promoted to C for this season so my new goal was not to get relegated. I'm well safe from that, and am even mathematically alive to get promoted to B. I'm also at 75 TCA with 2 days to go, and looking to set a new personal best which is 78 TCA. We'll see how these last few days go.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

In 2nd C Savanah D1, playing 1st today. Should finish in promotion zone at this point regardless, but not counting chickens. Mathematically could win my rundle, but more chickens.
Pending...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's my usual slightly-below-middling (for an A rundle) performance, safe from relegation but nothing to write home about. However, my latest referral has been making things interesting, with his first season full of squeakers, including three ties where he got fewer right than his opponents, and now he's at second place, with the same W-L-T record as first place, down by 1 in MPD. (And nos. 3-5 are within reach of him with higher MPD, so he could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th at this point.)