Tuesday, February 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Paucle wrote:I don't think HHH was a terrible guess. There's no reason LBJ couldn't have "nominated" him, i.e., endorsed, is there? For instance what if we discover that maybe just maybe (wildly picking something moronic here) President Obama is revealed not to have been born in the USA. Couldn't he "nominate" Biden merely as a type of endorsement? A convention would still be needed. Whether an Obama endorsement is good or bad would be proven there!

1967 was too early for LBJ to do something like that, since he announced his non-candidacy in March 1968, but obviously that's info the HHH guessers didn't have/ remember.
As one who responded "Humphrey," I'd love to agree, but "nominated" has a specific meaning, and shouldn't be interchangeable with "endorsed." My trouble was that "nominated" didn't trigger any thoughts of the "advise and consent" function of the Senate. But nominating a presidential candidate would mean speaking at the party convention, so I should have seen the unlikelihood.
If the clue had read "appointed," that would have cut the "Humphrey" idea off, and my thoughts might have moved in a more fruitful direction...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:
Paucle wrote:I don't think HHH was a terrible guess. There's no reason LBJ couldn't have "nominated" him, i.e., endorsed, is there? For instance what if we discover that maybe just maybe (wildly picking something moronic here) President Obama is revealed not to have been born in the USA. Couldn't he "nominate" Biden merely as a type of endorsement? A convention would still be needed. Whether an Obama endorsement is good or bad would be proven there!

1967 was too early for LBJ to do something like that, since he announced his non-candidacy in March 1968, but obviously that's info the HHH guessers didn't have/ remember.
As one who responded "Humphrey," I'd love to agree, but "nominated" has a specific meaning, and shouldn't be interchangeable with "endorsed." My trouble was that "nominated" didn't trigger any thoughts of the "advise and consent" function of the Senate. But nominating a presidential candidate would mean speaking at the party convention, so I should have seen the unlikelihood.
If the clue had read "appointed," that would have cut the "Humphrey" idea off, and my thoughts might have moved in a more fruitful direction...
But even then, "appoint" is the wrong word. The president nominates a Supreme Court Justice, the Senate confirms that nomination.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

We can only hope :) .
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Kinda late, but I didn't get the "Check yourself before you Trebek yourself" comment. Is this a reference that's over my head or something?
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Kinda late, but I didn't get the "Check yourself before you Trebek yourself" comment. Is this a reference that's over my head or something?
A play on "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 20yourself
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

mam418 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Kinda late, but I didn't get the "Check yourself before you Trebek yourself" comment. Is this a reference that's over my head or something?
A play on "Check yourself before you wreck yourself". http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... 20yourself
It's also a reference to an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" in which Trebek appeared. One of the characters said it after someone was considering taking a job as a "coin-flip bimbo" on a show hosted by Alex. (I rarely watch the show, but I've seen most of the episode in question. :))
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Interesting, Brandon. I didn't know that. So Mr. Trebek was likely not as confused as I assumed he was.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Interesting, Brandon. I didn't know that. So Mr. Trebek was likely not as confused as I assumed he was.
He might not remember all his guest appearances - he also seemed really flummoxed on the "Kebert Xela" response, even though it was his voice on the Family Guy original.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Interesting, Brandon. I didn't know that. So Mr. Trebek was likely not as confused as I assumed he was.
He might not remember all his guest appearances - he also seemed really flummoxed on the "Kebert Xela" response, even though it was his voice on the Family Guy original.
I've been trying to forget Family Guy for years.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
I've been trying to forget Family Guy for years.
Yet with all the times you mention you hate it, we won't be able to forget it... :P

(A fellow hater of the show speaking here.)