FJs for the 2/10/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/10/20 week?

Poll runs till Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:51 pm

A member of the British Amateur Athletic Club wrote this 1867 set of 12 regulations whose name honors nobleman John Sholto Douglas
76%
After statesman & banker Robert Morris turned down a job offer from George Washington, this man took the job
90%
In a 1930s broadcast, this man spoke of "A quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing"
62%
There are reminiscences of branding cattle & lassoing steers in "Martín Fierro", the national poem of this Western Hemisphere country
91%
These 7 words precede, "The rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals"  
66%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
35%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
PRESIDENTIAL HOMES $1200: His hat hangs from an elk antler at Sagamore Hill, his Oyster Bay, New York home
77%
WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE $2000: Beneath the Vasco da Gama Bridge in Lisbon
44%
RELIGIOUS FICTION $800: Orson Scott Card's "Women of Genesis" series of novels includes one about these 2 sisters & wives of Jacob
41%
I did not get the Monday FJ! clue right, but would have known Marquess of Queensbury if I had known the sport was boxing.
5%
Churchill was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
10%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue by guessing someone not from Great Britain.
19%
Brazil was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
2%
Some form of pop culture (other than watching J!) helped me get at least one of the FJ! clues right this week.
38%
I had at least one 50-50-90 (90% chance of going the wrong way on a 50-50) this week on the FJ! clues.
10%

Total votes: 101

gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: FJs for the 2/10/20 week

Post by gobobbygo »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Quiet Man for Marquess of Queensbury Rules (which I assume would have been fine)

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Knew two of the FJs, the other three had pretty straightforward TOM.

Wonder if I would have had pronunciation issues with the Lisbon clue. We spent some time in Portugal several years ago, and were told that an "s" at the end of a syllable was pronounced "sh." So we crossed the Tah-goosh river on the Vashco de Gama Bridge on our way to Cash-caish. Not the Tagus River, the Vasco Bridge, or the village of Cascais. It took no longer than it takes a tourist to learn to pronounce Worcester as "Wooster".
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

Of all the danged things to prevent a superfecto week! I had to go neg on the old Sunday School story. If I had had a few more seconds I'm pretty sure I would have come up with Rachel and Leah, just not in 3 seconds.

Meanwhile, this looks like an all-time record for 5-for-5 weeks on this poll. Way to go, team!

davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Would have probably got Wed if I hadn't eliminated Englishmen from the category, which admittedly left me bewildered in seeking my response...

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Monday - Rules of Golf (no idea)
Tuesday - John Jay
Friday - No guess

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :( :oops:

Forgive me for the very late response. I'm way behind on watching the DVR. But I had to brag on my first 5/5 since discovering these boards.

Monday was a bit of an educated and lucky guess. I'm sure I've heard the Queensbury rules mentioned in some bit of TV back in my youth.

Tues I tried to get it wrong by going with Jefferson, but more current pop culture helped me recall that he was the first Sec of State.

Wed seemed very easy to work out from history. I again tried to err by figuring out who the US Pres was (FDR, of course), but then I took another look at the category. Quarrel? 1930s? Gotta be the lead in to WWII. Faraway country? Nothing in Europe was far away from that little quarrel. So an out of touch leader. That just screamed Mr. Peace-In-Our-Time to me.

Thurs was again working out the TOM, and not direct knowledge of the literature. International = not US. Cowboys? Makes the Western Hemisphere portion irrelevant - gotta be Canada or Argentina, since it's not USA. Spanish sounding name - lets go with Argentina.

Fri - Snoopy to the rescue. A quick word count on the fingers and start writing. (Or, in my case, putting the breakfast dishes back in the kitchen while the think music plays.)

Bummed a bit on the Bible clue. In the moment I said Rachael and Hannah, knowing full well that Leah was Rachael's sister. Should have got that one right.
--Peter

Golf

Post by Golf »

Ironhorse wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:14 pm
Monday - Rules of Golf (no idea)
1. Any instance or discussion involving suboptimal game play is fair game.
2. Posting in a PC manner is optional.
3. No posting after midnight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: