The Jeopardy! Anytime Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Jeopardy! Anytime Test

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 am
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 am Anyone who can't get 15 minutes free on any one of 3 nights, with roughly a month of notice, I am fine with that person not being able to take the jeopardy test.
You may want to check your privilege here on this one, Jeff.
Please explain my privilege to me with all you know about my personal and work life.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:03 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am You need to check your privilege as well here.
Do people not have a right to express their opinion?
And I'm saying that their opinion is ill-informed as they may not have the requisite life experiences in order to assess the situation properly.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The very existence of the online test requires that everyone has access to a tablet or computer and a high-speed internet connection. Please make sure to let Jeopardy! know that they need to check their privilege as well because not everyone is rich enough to have all these fancy things.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Aaaaand ... I think that's enough along those lines. Let's play nice, everybody.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:03 pm The very existence of the online test requires that everyone has access to a tablet or computer and a high-speed internet connection. Please make sure to let Jeopardy! know that they need to check their privilege as well because not everyone is rich enough to have all these fancy things.
Public libraries exist, Jeff. And offering the test any time now allows someone to take the test at a computer with a high-speed Internet connection during a library's normal business hours.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:10 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:03 pm The very existence of the online test requires that everyone has access to a tablet or computer and a high-speed internet connection. Please make sure to let Jeopardy! know that they need to check their privilege as well because not everyone is rich enough to have all these fancy things.
Public libraries exist, Jeff. And offering the test any time now allows someone to take the test at a computer with a high-speed Internet connection during a library's normal business hours.
Assuming they have a car or bus fare to get to the library. Tsk tsk, more privilege. Ok that's the last from me, sorry alietr.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:58 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am You need to check your privilege as well here.
And I'm saying that their opinion is ill-informed as they may not have the requisite life experiences in order to assess the situation properly.
Some people that have never been poor or homeless will just never understand what that life is like; others who have been and aren't anymore have forgotten where they came from.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:57 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:58 pm
Some people that have never been poor or homeless will just never understand what that life is like; others who have been and aren't anymore have forgotten where they came from.
As alietr said above: enough.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I took the online test at our local public library.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

As I said on here last summer, I couldn't make it to my audition because found myself jobless between test taking time and audition time and couldn't justify taking a five hour trip. I'm still probably irrationally upset over it. It's probably just as well because flying to LA would have been a hassle too.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:39 pm As I said on here last summer, I couldn't make it to my audition because found myself jobless between test taking time and audition time and couldn't justify taking a five hour trip. I'm still probably irrationally upset over it. It's probably just as well because flying to LA would have been a hassle too.
And then the headache of figuring out what to do with that $100k+ from your 6-game winning streak and studying for the TOC.... Who needs it? :lol:
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

This will benefit people like me that auditioned 17 months ago and just missed the scheduled test. If I understand the rules correctly, I should be able to retest on-demand in April.
--
Drowning in the pool
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

They have such an enormous pool of test-takers who never get an audition invite, it raises the question of why they felt an anytime test was necessary. Ultimately, of course, it's at their discretion.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 pm They have such an enormous pool of test-takers who never get an audition invite, it raises the question of why they felt an anytime test was necessary. Ultimately, of course, it's at their discretion.
Pretty sure it's a publicity stunt.

I thought I had read where the reign of James caused ratings to soar. It seems (to me at least) that they've upped their game on social media the last few months. Then there was the GOAT tournament. Now this. It seems (again, to me) like they're on an all-out publicity blitz.
--
Drowning in the pool
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:25 pm They have such an enormous pool of test-takers who never get an audition invite, it raises the question of why they felt an anytime test was necessary. Ultimately, of course, it's at their discretion.
an interesting take on the situation; totally agree they don't need to do more to get their contestant pool, and shows usually don't take the time to do more than they need to on this front due to the extra expense.

However, the show seems to be reaching out more to the public than in the past, and looking into other ways to find the next James, and this may be part of that effort.

If they don't pull me out of the pool, I'm hoping this sticks around and comes back next year in case I can't take the test in the designated three days. If I had to take it this year, I would've only been available on the night I would've failed the test.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Tuesday night I played pubquiz solo, and even won the first out of two games. The other good solo player was a young man who had never considered going on Jeopardy! I encouraged him to try out, but then had to add the caveat that "They just had an online test, it might be a year or two until they have another one." I would have been delighted to instead tell him he could just take the online test any time.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:19 pm Tuesday night I played pubquiz solo, and even won the first out of two games. The other good solo player was a young man who had never considered going on Jeopardy! I encouraged him to try out, but then had to add the caveat that "They just had an online test, it might be a year or two until they have another one." I would have been delighted to instead tell him he could just take the online test any time.

Any time between February and April, so if you had this same encounter in May he'd still be out of luck. But I'm guessing this is a trial run, maybe they will make it year round in the future.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:45 pm I'm guessing this is a trial run, maybe they will make it year round in the future.
I bet you're right. Furthermore, I'd bet that if they do that, scheduled online tests will become a thing of the past. There's no reason to run it the old way if this way works.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:45 pm I'm guessing this is a trial run, maybe they will make it year round in the future.
I bet you're right. Furthermore, I'd bet that if they do that, scheduled online tests will become a thing of the past. There's no reason to run it the old way if this way works.
When I told my wife about this, her first reaction was that they must be transitioning over to this as a model where everyone who takes it in a certain period is entered into one pool. I do like being able to do it whenever, depending on schedules, especially for someone like me who has a toddler running around, which left me with only the third test as an option this year.

Has it been clarified if you take this test in addition to the test last month and get 35 on both, do you still have only one entry into the lottery? I would assume so as it seems like a really easy way to game the system for this one year otherwise.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I'm suspicious of the reasons for this change. There are lots of people who pass the test who don't get an audition, so it isn't due to a lack of people. It must be due to a lack of the people the producers want.

My suspicion is diversity of the pool: more women, more rural people, more visible minorities. I don't think they are looking for higher scores.