2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm Aren’t many things in the thread not necessarily in the canon yet, but things we expect will be
In my opinion, things should only be posted once they are set in stone. Nobody cares about rumors and it’s not a race to see who can post first.

In this case, we don’t have a title, which Jeopardy tends to require. So when the title is revealed, we will then require another post making this post useless.

I love the thread, it’s a great resource for all of us. I just don’t want to see it get bogged down with rumor and minutia.
I’m with ya on everything except the part about this being a rumor. This is as much set in stone as the next season of jeopardy.

There have been other posts about upcoming albums, books, etc
Total game show career losings = $171,522
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:12 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:59 pm Prop Joe Diffie up beside the jukebox.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollin ... 74556/amp/

That was surprisingly quick.

I saw Joe Diffie back in 2005 when recovering from jawbone surgery. A few years back I got his Wikipedia article ranked as a "Good Article". In 2nd grade I called in a request for "John Deere Green" to a local radio station and recorded the request on tape so my classmates could hear it.
When I was in 2nd grade I called in a request to play my favorite song on a radio show, but Marconi said no.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:08 pm Record-setting placekicker Tom Dempsey of the New Orleans Saints has died of complications from the COVID-19 virus. Dempsey has not appeared in a J! clue since 2010, but he made six appearances prior to that date—and with good reason. He held the NFL record for longest successful field goal try for 44 years.
The one "record" I suppose he will forever hold, though is farthest yard-line a successful FG was kicked from. When he kicked his 63-yarder, the goal posts were on the goal line, so his kick was from the 37.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:35 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:08 pm Record-setting placekicker Tom Dempsey of the New Orleans Saints has died of complications from the COVID-19 virus. Dempsey has not appeared in a J! clue since 2010, but he made six appearances prior to that date—and with good reason. He held the NFL record for longest successful field goal try for 44 years.
The one "record" I suppose he will forever hold, though is farthest yard-line a successful FG was kicked from. When he kicked his 63-yarder, the goal posts were on the goal line, so his kick was from the 37.
Don't be so sure ;). Our Chief's kicker Harrison Butker has a pretty good leg, as does the Raven's kicker (Justin Tucker?). One of these young Turks is going to pop a 74 yarder sometime. But not from below sea level like Dempsey did. It might take thousands of games before the right end of the half 'what the hell' scenario comes up. I can't see it on an end of game play, you are better off going for the DPI and untimed down to finish the business.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chie ... -prove-it/
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Definitely this one was the one that I pictured: https://www.google.com/search?q=al+kali ... RVaOxiyXbM
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Why is Al Kaline in the Hall of Fame? Because he always got on base. RIP
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:21 pm Also, the two awards Best Sound Editing (for artificially-created sound effects) and Best Sound Mixing (for the capture and mixing of naturally-occurring sound) will be combined going forward into a single award called "Best Sound". (The Academy notes that the total number of statuettes will remain the same, as each of the old categories gave out 3 Oscars and the new one will give out 6, to emphasize the team effort.) This change is not just for next year, but is intended to be permanent. (I would wager that most people didn't understand the difference between the two categories anyway.)
This is a good change. I like this change.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

teapot37 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 pm In a shocking new entry into the "dumb celebrity baby name" contest, entrepreneur Elon Musk and his partner, the musician Grimes (aka Claire Boucher), have named their baby boy "X Æ A-12".
In the subreddit /r/namenerds, there's some good conversation about how this could be pronounced. In California, non-letter names are prohibited, so speculation is that this is code for something. Apparently Æ could be pronounced Ash and A-12 is a CIA aircraft nicknamed "Archangel." If X is like the Greek "chi," the name could be Cash Archangel?

Full thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/namenerds/comm ... _x_%C3%A6/
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:03 am Apparently Æ could be pronounced Ash and A-12 is a CIA aircraft nicknamed "Archangel." If X is like the Greek "chi," the name could be Cash Archangel?
It's called the ash, but is pronounced like an "a". Still, Cash Archangel would make sense as an explanation, if not so much a baby name.
mas3cf

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by mas3cf »

teapot37 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 pm In a shocking new entry into the "dumb celebrity baby name" contest, entrepreneur Elon Musk and his partner, the musician Grimes (aka Claire Boucher), have named their baby boy "X Æ A-12".
Apparently, California law requires that birth certificate names consist only of letters from the English alphabet.

No sweat, they can always go with "X AE A-Twelve"
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

econgator wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:47 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:03 am Apparently Æ could be pronounced Ash and A-12 is a CIA aircraft nicknamed "Archangel." If X is like the Greek "chi," the name could be Cash Archangel?
It's called the ash, but is pronounced like an "a". Still, Cash Archangel would make sense as an explanation, if not so much a baby name.
Been wondering what the Social Security Administration is going to do about this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

After a bit more thought, maybe they are naming the child after an archangel, so Cash Gabriel or Cash Michael or the like.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1257836061520101377

So it's a combination of algebra, D&D, a military fighter jet, and a song.

This leaves me with more questions than it does answers.
Volante

Post by Volante »

arjavrawal wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:59 pm https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1257836061520101377

So it's a combination of algebra, D&D, a military fighter jet, and a song.

This leaves me with more questions than it does answers.
Meanwhile, has everyone, including Grimes, forgotten that she's going by c now?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:30 am
After a bit more thought, maybe they are naming the child after an archangel, so Cash Gabriel or Cash Michael or the like.
Apparently it's "Ecks Ash A-Twelve"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU5dkX5-lVM
Volante

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm Rep. Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) has introduced the TRAP Act (Time to Repeal an Archaic Policy Act of 2020), intended to repeal the Logan Act of 1789. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, you've gotta marvel at how they come up with those acronyms.
If they put half the time into their acronyms... well...
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Volante wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:55 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm Rep. Guy Reschenthaler (R-PA) has introduced the TRAP Act (Time to Repeal an Archaic Policy Act of 2020), intended to repeal the Logan Act of 1789. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, you've gotta marvel at how they come up with those acronyms.
If they put half the time into their acronyms... well...
Even nearly two decades later, my mind can effortlessly pull "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not trusting myself to not botch something, I'm going to post here to request someone put together a line for the main current events thread about Iran going from rial to toman.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:John Grisham's newest crime thriller is "Camino WInds", about a group of authors who try to solve a murder during a hurricane.
A crime thriller involving a group of authors taking place during a hurricane? That seems more like Dave Barry novel territory.
Volante

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Apparently, California law requires that birth certificate names consist only of letters from the English alphabet.

No sweat, they can always go with "X AE A-Twelve"
CA was solved by using X Æ A-Xii
Apparently Æ passes muster or they're putting down 'AE' on the paperwork but won't tell anyone (Or they -think- they're putting it down and the bureaucrat simply splits it into AE anyway)