2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by seaborgium »

Tyler's late grandson was named Lyon, not Leon.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:40 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:56 pm
One of the great trivia facts of this age just got a little closer to being out-of-date.

Leon Tyler, grandson of president John Tyler, passed away September 26 at the age of 95. John Tyler still has one living grandson, Harrison Tyler.

(For anyone not familiar with this piece of trivia, these are plain old son-of-son grandsons, not "great-grandsons" or anything.)
That really is a ridiculously long generation time. I have a grandfather born in 1872, which is pretty long in its own right, but that still
Doesn’t come close.
I have a grandfather born in 1900 and I will be 95 in 2057. That is a 157 year gap. The gap for the Tylers is 229 years. An entire lifetime different.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:59 pm
Woof wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:40 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
One of the great trivia facts of this age just got a little closer to being out-of-date.

Leon Tyler, grandson of president John Tyler, passed away September 26 at the age of 95. John Tyler still has one living grandson, Harrison Tyler.

(For anyone not familiar with this piece of trivia, these are plain old son-of-son grandsons, not "great-grandsons" or anything.)
That really is a ridiculously long generation time. I have a grandfather born in 1872, which is pretty long in its own right, but that still
Doesn’t come close.
I have a grandfather born in 1900 and I will be 95 in 2057. That is a 157 year gap. The gap for the Tylers is 229 years. An entire lifetime different.
Looking at it that way, the gap in my family is 192 years. Closer, but still not very close.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Correction...I turn 95 in 2062, not 2057.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:44 am
Correction...I turn 95 in 2062, not 2057.
Dang it, Bamaman! I already put it on my calendar in pen!

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:08 pm
Gene splicing (specifically CRISPR) wins the 2020 Nobel for Chemistry
https://gizmodo.com/gene-editing-crispr ... 1845299757
In my opinion, CRISPR, AI, and nuclear weapons all have a pretty good chance of ending human civilization.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote:The new name for Eskimo Pie will be Edy's Pie.
Interesting that this is apparently going to be the name nationally, even in the Western states where the associated ice cream is branded as Dreyer's (not Edy's).

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

econgator wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:13 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote:

As best I can tell, Andrew Hoover is in 2nd place. It was Caroline Manning Cunningham (granddaughter of William Howard Taft), but she died in March.
Benjamin Harrison had a granddaughter that died just four days before Lyon Tyler. Interestingly, she was married to a great-grandson of James Garfield.

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/obitu ... -garfield/

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Volante wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 am
And in fake Nobel news, have a blockquote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54509051
Paul Milgrom and Robert Wilson have won the 2020 Nobel Economics Prize for their work on auction theory.
[...]
This is the second Robert Wilson to win a Nobel Prize. The other one shares a middle and last name with a Nobel Prize-winning U.S. president. Two years ago, George Smith (whose middle name is the last name of a Nobel Prize-winning Canadian prime minister) became the second individual with that name to win a Nobel. There have also been two Johannes Jensens to be honored.

Smith and Wilson are the most common surnames of Nobel laureates, with five each.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I had two favorite teams growing up the Cincinnati Reds and the Detroit Tigers. Joe Morgan, who passed away Sunday, played second base for the Big Red Machine. Morgan was named MVP in 1975 and 1976 while playing the keystone position for a Reds team that won back-to-back World Series titles the same years.

Morgan was also known for being confident and cocky. He had an unusual habit of flapping his back elbow as a way to keep it high when hitting, a quirk imitated by many a Little Leaguer. I confess I did it a few times myself, especially when playing Wiffle Ball, where it didn't hurt so much when an outraged pitcher threw at your head. ;)

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:16 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:15 pm
LeBron James has become the first player ever to win NBA championships with three different teams.
Nope. His teammate Danny Green also did it last night, and John Salley and Robert Horry did it before that.
All four players who have won a championship with three different teams have won a championship with the Lakers.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Morgan's dislike of the "moneyball" revolution in baseball (and his apparent lack of understanding as to what the term actually meant) helped inspire the noted sports blog "Fire Joe Morgan", which was dedicated to dissecting terrible takes by sports commentators. Television writer and producer Michael Schur, of the shows The Good Place and Parks and Recreation, was a contributor under the pseudonym "Ken Tremendous" (which is still his Twitter handle), and his production company, Fremulon, takes its name from the fictional insurance company Ken Tremendous worked for.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Rhonda Fleming, known by many as the "Queen of Technicolor" for her trademark flaming-red hair, has died at the age of 97. Sadly, she doesn't appear in the J! Archive after games of 1989.

Fleming was probably renowned more for her beauty and than her acting skill. She appeared in more than forty films, including such notable works as The Spiral Staircase, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Slightly Scarlet, While the City Sleeps, and Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound.

With her glorious red locks, it's ironic that Fleming's best picture is the black-and-white noir classic Out of the Past, in which she starred with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas.

It should be noted that a few other actresses were also dubbed the "Queen of Technicolor," including Maureen O'Hara, Yvonne De Carlo, and Maria Montez.

Fleming.jpg
Fleming.jpg (4.21 KiB) Viewed 385 times

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Shout-out to a fellow Bowling Green alumnus:

The great Mike "Doc" Emrick has retired from hockey broadcasting. Emrick began his career in 1974 as the play-by-play voice of the Port Huron Flags of the International Hockey League. In 1982, he climbed into the NHL ranks as the play-by-play announcer for the New Jersey Devils. Emrick has also called numerous national games for NBC, CBS, ABC, TNT, ESPN, and Fox Sports.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:52 pm

The 400th episode of NCIS will air this November with its 18th season after beginning in 2003. It spun off from JAG.

Mark Harmon is Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
David McCallum is Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard

Spin-offs are:
NCIS: Los Angeles
NCIS: New Orleasns
Gotta wonder what NBC is thinking about this. They were the station to initially air JAG back in 1995. Twenty-five years and 1004 episodes later and it's still going strong.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

CBS originally produced the pilot episode of Law & Order but passed on it before NBC picked it up. I guess JAG moving to CBS makes them even.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

British rocker Spencer Davis has died at the age of 81. Davis was a member of the eponymous Spencer Davis Group, which performed the 1960s classics “Gimme Some Lovin'” and “I’m a Man.” However, despite their name, Davis was not the group's lead singer. That was Steve Winwood, who later hit it big as a solo performer in the 1980s and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a founding member of the group Traffic.

NOTE: The Spencer Davis Group appears in the J! Archive in a 1998 game in a $400 clue under the category SPENCERS FOR HIRE.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

teapot37 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm
Quibi's founders, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Ellison, announced today in an open letter that the streaming service will be shutting down, just six months after it started operating. “Quibi is not succeeding. Likely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasn’t strong enough to justify a standalone streaming service or because of our timing."
If you put your chips all on the first reason, Jeffrey, it'll be the first smart decision you've made involving Quibi. It was a bad idea poorly executed. True, the pandemic didn't help matters, but all it did in the end was to hasten Quibi's demise.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was reading an article where the headline was that some programmers had improved upon the Traveling Salesman Problem. That's the problem where, given a set of cities and the distances between them, what's the shortest distance you can travel to visit each city once. Programs have gotten it down to where they can come within a few percent of the actual shortest route. Want to take a guess by how much this new algorithm improves?

The answer is:
Spoiler
0.2 billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a percent.

Which, if my counting is correct is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000002 times better. :)

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:04 am
I was reading an article where the headline was that some programmers had improved upon the Traveling Salesman Problem. That's the problem where, given a set of cities and the distances between them, what's the shortest distance you can travel to visit each city once. Programs have gotten it down to where they can come within a few percent of the actual shortest route. Want to take a guess by how much this new algorithm improves?

The answer is:
Spoiler
0.2 billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a percent.

Which, if my counting is correct is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000002 times better. :)
If you don't think that's significant, you must have never tried to graze the edge of a quasar with a laser pointer.