Tuesday, February 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAST FOOD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This sandwich was 1st sold in 1962 as an attempt to give the many Catholics of Cincinnati something to eat on Fridays during Lent

MacKenzie Jones: 20600+1205=21805 (7x = $184,208)
Christopher Cartagena: 5000+5000=10000
Sandha Khin: 4400+4400=8800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Filet-O-Fish

Daily Doubles
Christopher: 3400+2000
MacKenzie: 13000+6000
Christopher: 10000-5000

Coryats
MacKenzie: 16200
Christopher: 8600
Sandha: 4400

Combined: 29,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
MacKenzie: 4600
Christopher: 7200
Sandha: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sandha's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0451644/

including appearing in the Red Hot Chili Peppers video for "Look Around"

A stab to the heart if J! champ Chris Wallace is watching today.

Even if Christopher farmed and solved DD3 he still trails for the FJ! round. MacKenzie would have made a lot more money though in that scenario.

MacKenzie is no master in finding DDs though she makes them count well when she does uncover them.

The FJ! clue had 3/3 written all over it unless someone botched the exact name of the sandwich. My count is 0 for ever eating it while my mom has enjoyed many a one over the years.

It does not surprise me that the clue went to the same franchise as the December 13th, 2019 FJ! clue. I'm just happy for redemption for blowing that one.

Commercial: McMillions on HBO is worth a look for telling the story of the Monopoly game piece scam.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat: $33,600 (43R, 3W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Here's what went through my head on Distill $1000:
- malleable metal is a Pavlov for gold
- gold-sulfur high affinity interaction, is the basis for self-assembled monolayers
- so... gold, clearly

Here's what didn't go through my head:

- a still made of gold would be #$*ing expensive

Same negs as contestants on Constitution $400 and Antonyms $1600.

I'm guessing this FJ polls well north of 90%...
Leander

Post by Leander »

I really feel old when no one recognizes Mike Wallace.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:33 am The FJ! clue had 3/3 written all over it unless someone botched the exact name of the sandwich. My count is 0 for ever eating it while my mom has enjoyed many a one over the years.
+1. Filet O' Fish is generally known as a "Mom" purchase in my experience.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow did I struggle with this board.

Clammed on "pinch" because I didn't know it was a formal measurement. Also couldn't pull up "chinchilla" in time because I was researching capybara earlier and that was the only South American rodent I could retain.

The Go-Go's album was my only miss in Albums (WAGged Blondie instead).

Cognac = brandy seemed very YEKIOYD for the top box. I hate alcohol categories because they ALWAYS seem massively YEKIOYD. I got only "moonshiner".

Jerry Brown = California was also unfamiliar to me, but that could just be a reverse Hawley-Smoot. How am I supposed to retain a generic-ass name like that?!

Strangely, $1,000 was my only get in After All These Years. The others were gettable bust just weren't clicking.

Can't say I've heard of the Falklands often enough to place them.

I ran Aptly Named, but was 0/5 in both 500 Years Ago and Real People. Zellweger = Judy Garland was completely unfamiliar to me.

Dionysus is also unfamiliar to me.

Yes, this McDonald's worker insta-got this FJ!

Lach Trash: Psychiatry, prose, museum
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $32,000 (45R, 1W)
DD: 2/3 (missed catharsis)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($7,400): arts, chinchilla, brandy, psychiatry, Prose, Mike Wallace, museum

You could just see Christopher melt down in slow motion after MacKenzie grabbed the big lead with DD2. Started pressing after leading for so long, then felt like he answered too quickly on DD3. Don’t know if he would’ve pulled out catharsis, but he didn’t really give himself a chance. Didn’t matter as FJ was a virtual gimme.

Another one of those days where I blitzed J! but stumbled on DJ!. Only managed more than two correct in 3/6 (ran Aptly Named, 4/4 in Pro Bonobo Work and got the top 3 in Playing Real People).

The one wrong was in “Inch” Word $1000, I said winch instead of linchpin for some reason. I almost negged Distill Crazy $1000 with tin — misremembered it from an episode of M*A*S*H — but wasn’t confident enough to not stay clam.

Beauty and the Beat brought a big smile to my face, one of my all-time favourite albums.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Not a good day for me. Should have had Trumbo. I had just looked him up a few days ago, maybe for Learned League, and recognized his picture and knew where he was from, but just couldn't pull the name.

Went with "psychology" instead of "psichiatry". Is there a TOM for one over the other?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:25 pm Went with "psychology" instead of "psichiatry". Is there a TOM for one over the other?
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD) and a psychologist is NOT. So if they ever talk about it in those terms, as they did tonight, go for psychiatry. I don't remember the wording, but I think there was something along those lines in the clue.
Last edited by nlw44 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:25 pm Not a good day for me. Should have had Trumbo. I had just looked him up a few days ago, maybe for Learned League, and recognized his picture and knew where he was from, but just couldn't pull the name.

Went with "psychology" instead of "psichiatry". Is there a TOM for one over the other?
Psychiatry is a branch of medicine. Psychology is not.

Had lots of LT today, considering how the champ gobbled up the board. Chinchilla, brandy, psychiatry, prose, Mike Wallace (Yeah, I also felt old that nobody recognized good old Mike), museum, Constantinople (plus catharsis on the last DD)

$9K was way better than the scores of the two challengers going into FJ. And yet here I sit at home, waiting for The Call. *deep sigh*
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

nlw44 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:31 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:25 pm Went with "psychology" instead of "psichiatry". Is there a TOM for one over the other?
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD) and a psychologist is NOT. So if they ever talk about it in those terms, as they did tonight, go for psychiatry. I don't remember the wording, but I think there was something along those lines in the clue.
Holy shit, I had that backwards for like the last 20 years.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Cue up the Greek chorus to quibble about McKenzie's wagers, or the fourth podium, or whatever :lol: . The lady is a winner winner chicken dinner. Her DD2 bet and get are impressive. Without wasting a poll slot, who else here knew that Indian religious place?

I am charmed by McKenzie's spelling adventures (fillet)*. Alex must be tired of reminding us that spelling doesn't count. Good thing, as I had philay of ghoti and I'm counting it :twisted: .

I'm a periodic table guy but "elemental metal" distracted me from copper = still, and I didn't know about the sulfur reaction. I've always figured it was favored for thermal/ductile/anti-microbial reasons, and it was thief friendly.

* Apparently, fillet and filet are both used for culinary purposes. I use fillet as a welding joint. befuddlement delivered.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

TPH, Blondie only had one female member (granted, the band was essentially named for her). Jerry Brown was the most recent former governor of the most populous state, between Arnold Schwarzenegger and the current governor, Gavin Newsom. And he was also governor previously, as the clue said. Most everybody will have heard the name in passing at some point on CNN, FOX News, or wherever, so generic or not, it's more than reasonable. Not exactly asking for the governor of the Northern Mariana Islands in the 80s.

Ankgor Wat is actually in Cambodia and is the national symbol, featuring as the centerpiece of its flag.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hansenkd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 pm TPH, Blondie only had one female member (granted, the band was essentially named for her).
And I couldn't name a single member of the band. It was a total ex-recto WAG.
hansenkd wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:36 pmJerry Brown was the most recent former governor of the most populous state, between Arnold Schwarzenegger and the current governor, Gavin Newsom. And he was also governor previously, as the clue said. Most everybody will have heard the name in passing at some point on CNN, FOX News, or wherever, so generic or not, it's more than reasonable. Not exactly asking for the governor of the Norrhern Mariana Islands in the 80s.
And I will forget this again about 10 seconds later because "Jerry Brown" is an EXTREMELY generic name.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

He only left office in Jan. 2019. And comes up instantly when you Google the name. A very recent governor of a massive state is not unreasonable no matter how generic.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Judges:. Compulsory for mandatory? :?:
I find it scary that none of the contestants recognized the slogan from 1984. :?
Instaget FJ. Sure beats a hula burger. :lol:
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 pm Without wasting a poll slot, who else here knew that Indian religious place?
Angkor Wat? The one in Cambodia? I've definitely heard of it, but couldn't identify it as a palace for Vishnu. I suppose I should have realized it was Hindu, but was totally off on it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:33 am The FJ! clue had 3/3 written all over it unless someone botched the exact name of the sandwich. My count is 0 for ever eating it while my mom has enjoyed many a one over the years.
I'm debating whether I should get one or not before Saturday to check the box... It will likely literally come down to a coin flip Thursday.
DBear wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:53 pm Judges:. Compulsory for mandatory? :?:
I find it scary that none of the contestants recognized the slogan from 1984. :?
Instaget FJ. Sure beats a hula burger. :lol:
Gonna say no. "Compulsory minimum" doesn't turn up any prison sentencing hits
The opposite of voluntary, it precedes "minimum" in certain prison sentences
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)