Friday, February 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CIVIL WAR

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Chicago Tribune called Clement Vallandigham, an anti-war Ohio Democrat, a “traitor” & a “hissing” one of these creatures

Aaron Goetsch: 16600+401=17001 (2X = $41,801)
Susan Hill: 8500-1500=7000
Meredith Moore: 7000-1800=5200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Copperhead (Susan – snake) (Meredith – a snake in the grass)

Daily Doubles
Aaron: 2800-2800
Aaron: 6600+4000
Susan: 11000-2500

Coryats
Aaron: 17000
Susan: 11000
Meredith: 7000

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Aaron: 5400
Susan: 1800
Meredith: 600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MacKenzie got out just in time as she would not have liked SPELL IT LIKE THE BRITS. Today's players didn't like it either saving it for last and leaving three clues unplayed.

Day 2 and already Holzhauer is invoked? Aaron got his just desserts quickly with losing it all on DD1.

THE CIVIL WAR was last a category in the FJ! round in December 2016 so Alex was right it has been a while.

I matched Aaron for the solve as I know it was 11th grade U.S. history when I first learned of the name.

Susan could have made the game more interesting though wagering and lack of success on the big clues put Aaron in good shape for the title defense.

Like February 2018 this month ends (yeah tomorrow I know) with no special tournaments though with an addition of a superchamp. We'll see if Aaron can bring in March like a lion on Monday.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This is one of those games where many boardies wonder exactly why they haven’t been picked to appear.

TPTB, I sincerely promise if picked to appear I will actually try to win the game. Pinky swear.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 am Day 2 and already Holzhauer is invoked?
Hey, its progress. It took a few months to stop talking about him every single day.
--
Drowning in the pool
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I was 3W 0R at the first break: Austria for Amsterdam, Lagasse for Andres, and Monday for Saturday. Also added the Y to Jabberwock, Miami for Gainesville, and had Miami University in Oklahoma instead of Ohio.

Despite this, I fared far better in DJ!, running Starts & Ends with B.

Amundsen = Norway is something I know I've forgotten before. Probably the same with Miami University = Ohio.

Hissing and associated with the Civil War? That sounds like a copperhead to me.

Lach trash: Cthulhu, barb
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This is a category I would seriously consider Clavining on.

I also get a tie-in to a clue. I got my AA from Santa Fe College (although it was Santa Fe Community College at the time) and my BSBA from UF.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm Hissing and associated with the Civil War? That sounds like a copperhead to me.
See, and I was *JUST* about to post now I know how TPH feels, because I have NEVER heard this bit of information ever. And it ruined my chance at a first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: FJ week, too! :evil:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This was one of my worst games in recent memory, if not ever.
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

The Easter Tridiuum begins at the Holy Thursday Mass, not on Good Friday.
Perhaps someone thought Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But the 'third' day is the Easter Vigil on the night of Holy Saturday.
Or is this where J! using a Protestant definition I haven't heard of?
bob k
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm The Easter Tridiuum begins at the Holy Thursday Mass, not on Good Friday.
Perhaps someone thought Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But the 'third' day is the Easter Vigil on the night of Holy Saturday.
My husband made the same observation.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 pm
bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm The Easter Tridiuum begins at the Holy Thursday Mass, not on Good Friday.
My husband made the same observation.
Traditionally, this is the first full day of the Paschal Triduum, leading up to Easter

Does the word "full" make any difference?
MitchO wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:29 pm Hissing and associated with the Civil War? That sounds like a copperhead to me.
See, and I was *JUST* about to post now I know how TPH feels, because I have NEVER heard this bit of information ever. And it ruined my chance at a first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: FJ week, too! :evil:
Ouch on the NHOI considering the farily recent usage:

#8096, aired 2019-11-18 WAR STORIES $1600: "Copperhead" by Bernard Cornwell
#8047, aired 2019-09-10 NAME-CALLING IN POLITICS $1000: Northerners against the Civil War embraced this beastly nickname & cut the heads out of Liberty pennies to wear as badges
#6795, aired 2014-03-14 POTPOURRI $1000: A Northerner who opposed the Union cause in the Civil War was called this, after a snake that strikes without warning
#6571, aired 2013-03-25 OHIO HISTORY $1000: During the Civil War, Ohio rep. Clement Vallandigham was a leader of these "snaky" antiwar northerners
#4961, aired 2006-03-20 "PP"-POURRI $2000: It can be a poisonous reddish-brown snake or a Yankee supporter of the South during the Civil War
#4190, aired 2002-11-15 ANIMAL WORDS & PHRASES $1600: Northerners who symphatized with the South during the Civil War were referred to as these poisonous snakes
#3645, aired 2000-06-09 AMERICAN HISTORY $800: It's the war that was opposed by some Copperheads
#3402, aired 1999-05-25 HISSSTORY $2,400 (Daily Double): Reptilian nickname used for Union Democrats who opposed Lincoln's efforts to free the slaves during the Civil War
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

"Traditionally, this is the first full day of the Paschal Triduum, leading up to Easter

Does the word "full" make any difference?"

I didn't remember the 'answer', so maybe that's what they were getting at.

As a Catholic, I would think a 'full' day would start at Thursday evening's service. Day 3 would start at the Easter Vigil and go through Sunday.
Sorta like Jewish Sabbath beginning at sunset the previous day. If they started on Friday, they would be leaving out one of the holy feasts of the Triduum - Holy Thursday.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $33,000 (43R, 2W)
DD: 2/3 (missed prairie schooner)
FJ: :(
LT ($5,200): Wednesday, José Andrés, Minuteman, barb, Calamity Jane

Two FJ misses in a row. Never thought of copperhead as something that needed to stick, this will certainly remedy that.

As soon as Susan found DD3, I knew Aaron had the game in the bag. She seems very nice, but never did I think she was capable of pulling off the type of DD wager she would need in that spot.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When Aaron missed the "barb" clue with "bob" I thought he could have tried to convince the judges it was a New England misunderstanding even though his stately loyalties seem to be elsewhere. Or perhaps I've seen that annoying Krasinski, Evans & Dratch ad too many times.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $32,200 (40R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

NHO prairie schooner.... Forehead slap on FJ. I thought "Democrat --> donkey" and stopped thinking. Grr.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I had the right generic answer for FJ!, as the other two contestants did, but NHO the historical Copperheads. I was trapped with the image of the snake on the Gadsden flag, which was from the Revolutionary War, not the Civil War....I was equating its modern popularity in the South with some Civil War connection, but if I'd dug a little deeper and remembered the picture of the "unite or die" snake with 8 pieces, I would have closed that door. Both are rattlesnakes, so I was going down the wrong path anyway.

They left out my two favorite categories - I could have probably done okay with British spelling, and would have cleaned up with body parts. Oh, well. They apparently had a plan to get MacKenzie off the show ;).
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

bkellysky wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm "Traditionally, this is the first full day of the Paschal Triduum, leading up to Easter

Does the word "full" make any difference?"

I didn't remember the 'answer', so maybe that's what they were getting at.

As a Catholic, I would think a 'full' day would start at Thursday evening's service. Day 3 would start at the Easter Vigil and go through Sunday.
Sorta like Jewish Sabbath beginning at sunset the previous day. If they started on Friday, they would be leaving out one of the holy feasts of the Triduum - Holy Thursday.
That’s one of the worst clues I can ever remember seeing on the show. How can you possibly rule that that the Triduum starts on Friday? Maybe is is the “full” piece, but if so, it’s 100% a trick question, not what they ever ask on the show. I’d definitely argue that if you want to talk full day, it goes with your definition. It’d be like “what’s the first day of the World Series? - Game 2, because game 1 is at night!!! Hahaha, tricked you!!” Semantic tricks shouldn’t surpass the actual knowledge asked in the question.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

On one hand, it kinda' sucks when you're wrong in FJ! for not being specific enough, since you don't really get a chance to be more specific. On the other hand, it didn't matter today anyway.