Wednesday, March 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:05 am
At the APogee, the Earth and moon are far APart. At the PERigee, they are PERessed together.

Lame, I know, but it works for me.
Hey, that just might work. Kind of like how I never forgot the difference between numerator and denominator after my elementary school teacher said that the D is for down.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:32 pm
The right player won the match, and maybe Paul will smooth out the rough patches and win a few. He got a lawyer friendly set of clues or two today.

FJ - I got there 27 seconds faster than my doppleganger morbeedo.
Ahh, but I have to root for my trivia friends Z. and L. who both appear this week!

When did we become doppelgängers?
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 pm

They expect me to know the anther? I thought the whole point of the show is that they give us the anthers, and we give them the questions!

OK, hearty applause here for my laugh for the day!

:lol: :lol:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 pm OK, judges: granting that "fallacious" was the desired response, I came up with "specious". Close enough?
Had the same answer, so I'm on your side.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:27 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 pm OK, judges: granting that "fallacious" was the desired response, I came up with "specious". Close enough?
How about "spurious"? A stretch, I know. But not a huge stretch!
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 am
mas3cf wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:05 am
At the APogee, the Earth and moon are far APart. At the PERigee, they are PERessed together.

Lame, I know, but it works for me.
Hey, that just might work. Kind of like how I never forgot the difference between numerator and denominator after my elementary school teacher said that the D is for down.
I always remember it with “a is away,” so it covers apogee and aphelion.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paul made Highly Questionable: https://youtu.be/-BU1rghZcq4?t=1103
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

52 R (Missed Sports Nicknames $1000 and the Bottom Three in SNL to the Movies.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Nora Roberts, Proactiv, Refuse, Parson Weems, (*Apogee*), Anther, Farad, God
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Personally, I would give it an "Oo, soorie", but given the whole "apex/apogee" generosity, if that's where the line is drawn, I'd give credit. Here's my reasoning: logic. Fallacies are studied in logic, like "All kings are good, food is good, therefore all kings are food." The definition in wikipedia of fallacy is literally "using faulty reasoning". Specious means "plausible, but wrong", or "misleadingly attractive" - like most of my guesses for FJ!. Or like a politician's retroactive explanation of a vote 10 or 20 years ago.

And circling (ellipsing?) back to apogee/perigee, I flipped the coin incorrectly. Or, rather, I flipped it but clammed. I knew it was one or the other - would have guessed perigee if forced to on the DD, but would have stood and stared if it wasn't a DD. At least I now have another mnemonic - -a-pogee is the -a-pex.

For me, "necropolis" was one of those "oh, let's make up a word from various stems, prefixes, and suffixes and see if it sticks" clues. I'd heard of necropolis, and once I got -polis, I got to necropolis in time. I did the same "fun with word stems" dance years ago in high school, but with less success - my English teacher surprised us by flipping our normal vocab quiz. Instead of "give the definition of this word", it was "give the fancy word you studied for this definition". The definition was "hater of women", and I stumbled into "gynophobe" instead of "misogynist", but my ultra-cool teacher gave me credit anyway.

Disappointed that TONY PLAYS went mostly unrevealed. And, c'mon - I can't remember the full titles of the regular flavor Harry Potter books/movies. I knew there's a Harry Potter play, and I even know it's in two parts...but the title? Nope.

Knew of the whole Embiid/process thing, but like the contestants, I wouldn't have been able to pull it out in time.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I would have been in trouble as an NBA fan/Kansas alumnus had I missed The Process, but what confused me was the Kansas City Royals' rebuilding process over the early part of this decade was called the exact same thing. The team's GM once said "trust the process" at a press conference, and this phrase was relentlessly mocked over the next few years by the team's diehard online contingent, including me. (The mockery faded once they won a World Series.)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:52 pm I would have been in trouble as an NBA fan/Kansas alumnus had I missed The Process, but what confused me was the Kansas City Royals' rebuilding process over the early part of this decade was called the exact same thing. The team's GM once said "trust the process" at a press conference, and this phrase was relentlessly mocked over the next few years by the team's diehard online contingent, including me. (The mockery faded once they won a World Series.)
Much like how after the Red Sox traded Mookie Betts, Twitter's @OldHossRadbourn said he wanted to order a custom jersey with PAYROLL FLEXIBILITY across the back.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

DysonSphere wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:01 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:27 pm
How about "spurious"? A stretch, I know. But not a huge stretch!
Both these answers were certainly less erroneous than mine, for what it's worth.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I wouldn't be in favor of accepting either specious or spurious. Neither of those are concepts in logic, while fallacious is. A fallacy is an error in logic. For a good time, read the play Love is a Fallacy by Max Shulman.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:57 am I wouldn't be in favor of accepting either specious or spurious. Neither of those are concepts in logic, while fallacious is. A fallacy is an error in logic. For a good time, read the play Love is a Fallacy by Max Shulman.
The clue didn't ask for a concept in logic; it asked for a word that applies to logic with faulty reasoning. I don't think that's specific enough to rule out "specious" or "spurious."