Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

I'm guessing the $400 clue in the Mandela effect, which we didn't see, explained what the Mandela effect is. When I am made in charge of the show, it will be a rule the categories can only be played from the top down, which will also eliminate the necessity of calling out a dollar amount.

Calling Newfoundland a Canadian Island was an anachronism, because Newfoundland didn't join Canada until 1949, 37 years later.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MattKnowles wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 pm
Messenger RNA was in the top row but it seems like the hardest clue in the category. It looked like mRNA wasn't immediately accepted but I can't tell if that was intentional or if the hesitation was because Kris kept speaking.
Given that it was in the top row, my best guess is that the answer on the card was "RNA" and Alex's hesitation was because he needed confirmation from the judges that "mRNA" was still correct, not because he needed even more than that.

(I just checked, and the word "messenger" is in the clue.)

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

It took me a beat to come up with the literal translation of “cul-de-sac” and I needed another minute to come up with “Bag End”

Sagan or Hawking or Einstein, oh my! bad clue

I made the same mistake on the San Francisco earthquake clue, blurting out Hindenburg 30 years too soon

Easy FJ, but I’ve been known to miss the easy ones. Not today.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 am
It took me a beat to come up with the literal translation of “cul-de-sac” and I needed another minute to come up with “Bag End”

Sagan or Hawking or Einstein, oh my! bad clue
'cul-de-sac' would have made an awesome LL clue. That's a three piper right there.

It's only a bad clue if you're guessing. ;)

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:57 pm
MattKnowles wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 pm
Messenger RNA was in the top row but it seems like the hardest clue in the category. It looked like mRNA wasn't immediately accepted but I can't tell if that was intentional or if the hesitation was because Kris kept speaking.
Given that it was in the top row, my best guess is that the answer on the card was "RNA" and Alex's hesitation was because he needed confirmation from the judges that "mRNA" was still correct, not because he needed even more than that.

(I just checked, and the word "messenger" is in the clue.)
I'm sure that they only wanted "RNA". And when I heard mRNA, I thought "mitochondrial RNA?", and "Yikes, I'm glad this wasn't MY question". Now I'm dumber than I was :lol: . Between this clue and reading this article this morning:
Spoiler
, and learning wtf is a pangolin from the wiki, I've had my fill of the squishy sciences for a long time. Now how can I un-see the pangolin?

Pretty easy FJ since we didn't have to work from some obscure World's Fair or something.

I chose Hawking, then Sagan.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:29 am
and learning wtf is a pangolin from the wiki, I've had my fill of the squishy sciences for a long time. Now how can I un-see the pangolin?
Really? The pangolin is one of my favorite animals!

BKavett
Contributor

Post by BKavett »

Yeah this FJ was stupid easy. Genoa=Columbus.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:04 pm
DBear wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:00 pm

WTH does the Mandela Effect even mean? The category was interesting, but what does the title have to do with anything?
It's a very silly conspiracy theory that some people take very seriously. Basically it takes the fact that many people seem to have the same false memories (the classic examples include Berenstain Bears being spelled as Berenstein Bears, Sinbad appearing as a genie in a movie called Shazam!, and reading a obituary of Nelson Mandela long before he actually died), and depending on the conspiracy theorist, takes it in some weird direction (like time travel being proven, or the CIA/Satan editing our collective memories).
OOOO-kay. But I'm with DBear: NHOI. :roll:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Several increasingly off-topic posts have been moved to the relevant thread. PLEASE, people, keep in mind that there is a specific thread for that purpose.

I, too, am fond of pangolins. Just not for eating.

I was in Seville last summer. Neat place to visit. Though it is thought that Columbus started his voyage in nearby Huelva, not Seville.

I had never heard of the Mandela effect, but it sounds like it's just one step removed from Q-Anon, and should never have been on the show. Enough with those moronic conspiracy theories.

davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:13 am
Several increasingly off-topic posts have been moved to the relevant thread. PLEASE, people, keep in mind that there is a specific thread for that purpose.

I, too, am fond of pangolins. Just not for eating.

I was in Seville last summer. Neat place to visit. Though it is thought that Columbus started his voyage in nearby Huelva, not Seville.

I had never heard of the Mandela effect, but it sounds like it's just one step removed from Q-Anon, and should never have been on the show. Enough with those moronic conspiracy theories.
It's a phenomenon, like deja vu. Any conspiracy theories are tangential.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The whole Mandela thing is that when he died, there were a bunch of people thought he had died in prison years earlier.

Which is really stupid. His release and subsequent election as president were big news. I think it was one of those internet things someone made up and it caught on.

I wouldn’t say it was close to Q-Anon. From what little I have read about it, it sounds like a bunch of really nutty people that wear tin hats and are rather racist. The Mandela effect is just stupid.

QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

alietr wrote:
It's more like a case of shared cognitive dissonance. I had to figure out why it was called the Mandela Effect (apparently a lot of people thought Nelson Mandela died in prison in the '80s) since I never confused Mandela dying in the 1980s. But some of the other things that also fall under this category (the Berenstein Bears [as opposed to Berenstain Bears] books; a '90s genie moving starring Sinbad called Shazam [as opposed to Kazaam, the actual '90s genie movie starring Shaquille O'Neal]) are sorta understandable, just a slight alteration of reality. Just funny how many people seem to retain the same incorrect piece of knowledge.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

QBall wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:19 pm
alietr wrote:
It's more like a case of shared cognitive dissonance. I had to figure out why it was called the Mandela Effect (apparently a lot of people thought Nelson Mandela died in prison in the '80s) since I never confused Mandela dying in the 1980s. But some of the other things that also fall under this category (the Berenstein Bears [as opposed to Berenstain Bears] books; a '90s genie moving starring Sinbad called Shazam [as opposed to Kazaam, the actual '90s genie movie starring Shaquille O'Neal]) are sorta understandable, just a slight alteration of reality. Just funny how many people seem to retain the same incorrect piece of knowledge.
Sort of a folie a vous?

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:13 pm
I wouldn’t say it was close to Q-Anon. From what little I have read about it, it sounds like a bunch of really nutty people that wear tin hats and are rather racist. The Mandela effect is just stupid.
It was this part of IronHorse's description that caused my to think it was like Q-Anon: "and depending on the conspiracy theorist, takes it in some weird direction (like time travel being proven, or the CIA/Satan editing our collective memories)."

A Wray
Valued Contributor

Post by A Wray »

The "Mandela Effect" is dumb pseudoscience and should not have been dignified with a category on America's Favorite Quiz Show. The "researchers" behind it have no relevant credentials, their work isn't peer-reviewed, and their methods and conclusions are often laughable. What happens is sometimes people get things wrong. And when one person makes a mistake, it then sometimes gets propagated by others. For instance, someone misquotes Star Trek and says "Beam me up, Scotty!" Since that's a catchy phrase, others then repeat it. This happens all the time and is barely interesting, let alone some kind of powerful scientific phenomenon of "false memory."

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

A Wray wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 pm
The "Mandela Effect" is dumb pseudoscience and should not have been dignified with a category on America's Favorite Quiz Show.
They've been doing astrology-related clues for a long time.

Anyway, I see the Mandela Effect as pop culture, not science.

A Wray
Valued Contributor

Post by A Wray »

trainman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 pm

I think (hope) most people are aware that astrology is not scientific, and treat it as silly fun. I have no objection to that.

But the phrase "Mandela Effect" was coined by, and the concept promoted by, "paranormal researchers" and other quacks, and if you do some googling you'll find lots of quasi-respectable news sources treating it as a mysterious psychological phenomenon, instead of just people getting things wrong. Lots of Jeopardy! contestants seem to think that the last book of the Bible is called "Revelations," but I haven't seen any media coverage of the "Revelations Effect."

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone else learn "chartreuse" from the Kmart store brand crayons?

...Just me? Okay, how about Sargent brand? Still just me?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:13 pm
The whole Mandela thing is that when he died, there were a bunch of people thought he had died in prison years earlier.

Which is really stupid. His release and subsequent election as president were big news.
I think these people might be confusing Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko.

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

trainman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 pm
A Wray wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 pm
The "Mandela Effect" is dumb pseudoscience and should not have been dignified with a category on America's Favorite Quiz Show.

I always thought it was like that, too. I'd read about it, but it was almost always in the context of, "Ha ha, Sinbad has to deny AGAIN that he wasn't a genie in a movie!" I read that "some" crackpots think it's real, but c'mon - to me, it seems like harmless, goofy fun, making fun of all the mental mistakes that a lot of people make, like misreading the Berenstain Bears' name.

Personally, I'm miffed more by astrology, which is a pseudoscience that actually has a following. Granted, when it comes up as a category, it almost always has to do with constellations and mythology.