Thursday, March 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

On FJ, I didn’t know the Philippines had a representative in the House, but I knew they were a territory during WW2 and became independent soon after the war’s end, so that’s what I wrote down.

LT: salt, vanishing point, arsenic, Oklahoma, Great Salt Lake, (dentist), (Austria & Hungary)

davey

Post by davey »

Sad for me to see the clue about the Brooklyn Academy of Music, since that was one of the last venues where I attended a performance before that became impossible... :cry:
For FJ, it wasn't much of a leap or a revelation that the Philippines once was "represented" in Congress, just like (per Wikipedia) "the federal district of Washington D.C...Puerto Rico, and...each of the other four permanently inhabited US territories: American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the US Virgin Islands" are today - all nonvoting, of course!
https://langevin.house.gov/about-me/und ... g-congress

DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

I never thought about the Philippines. Had I thought of it, I probably would have rejected it as I never knew this bit of history. As I really didn't have a good answer, my wild guess was US Virgin Islands.

Danmel
Contributor

Post by Danmel »

davey wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:54 am
Sad for me to see the clue about the Brooklyn Academy of Music, since that was one of the last venues where I attended a performance before that became impossible... :cry:
Me too! I grew up in East Flatbush and we took school trips to BAM, although we called it by it's full name back in the day. My brother works events at BAM, or at least he did. I shouted that answer!

heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

In retrospect I find that I have some vague knowledge of the Philippines once being a US territory but it was nowhere to be seen while the think music played.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am
I think Aaron got the trifecta for the "al fresca" response, which was negged for being wrong on 3 levels - that's gotta be an achievement! 1) wrong language = wrong answer 2) wrong vowel ending 3) not in form of question. Tough day, didn't seem to be nerves, it just goes that some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you :D .
You're right. Ouch!

Jasper
Contributor

Thursday, March 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Jasper »

Last night's clue ("Now stepping to the collection plate & leading mass in 2008 at Yankee Stadium, this pope, No. XVI, this pope") under the category Hear Here, New York was very clever as it mimicked the late Bob Sheppard.

Sheppard was the long-time announcer at Yankee Stadium (1951-2007). His typical call was: "Now batting for the New York Yankees, the shortstop, number 2, Derek Jeter, number 2."

This intro (taped version) for Jeter continued to be played at Yankee Stadium long after Sheppard's retirement, and indeed, for four years after Sheppard's death (2010) until Jeter's retirement in 2014.

Jasper

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Power of Positive Thinking, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Vanishing Point, En Plein Air, Reason, (Transcontinental Telegraph), *Great Salt Lake*, Oklahoma, Vistula, (Dentist), Salt, (Austria & Hungary), Diamond Necklace, Arsenic
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 131.8k games
Alpaca Farm: 1487 quizzes

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

I couldn't come up with en plein air, instead went with a l'exterieur - technically correct, though probably too generic to qualify as a term of art. Wonder how the judges would have ruled.

Note to self: The Oder is a river in Central Europe and Poland's third-longest river after the Vistula and Warta.

Austria-Hungary seemed like a gimme for that Olympics DD. Apparently not

I just don't understand how some players can forget to phrase their response in the form of a question, even under the lights

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:15 am
The Rick Grimes clue made me laugh since there was an Andrea, Michonne and Aaron playing in the game. It was appropriate that Michonne knew the actor's name and Michonne did not need a katana today to get the lock.
Haha, I made the Michonne / Rick connection but forgot about the other 2 ;)

I'm still reeling from last Sunday's episode. No spoilers, but wow.

PS/ I can't name one song by Fall Out Boy

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 pm
Last night's clue ("Now stepping to the collection plate & leading mass in 2008 at Yankee Stadium, this pope, No. XVI, this pope") under the category Hear Here, New York was very clever as it mimicked the late Bob Sheppard.

Sheppard was the long-time announcer at Yankee Stadium (1951-2007). His typical call was: "Now batting for the New York Yankees, the shortstop, number 2, Derek Jeter, number 2."

This intro (taped version) for Jeter continued to be played at Yankee Stadium long after Sheppard's retirement, and indeed, for four years after Sheppard's death (2010) until Jeter's retirement in 2014.
Some years back, I was helping to direct the NYC scholastic chess championship tourney, and in the directors' room, down a long corridor, far removed from the crowds, my fellow assistant Joe Ausanio, who had actually played with the Yankees for a couple of seasons, had rolled up a vinyl chessboard and was holding it like a baseball bat while announcing in a resonant baritone "...now batting for the Yankees...". Of course as a relief pitcher, he never could hope to hear that.
I'm smart and I want respect.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

morbeedo wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Note to self: The Oder is a river in Central Europe and Poland's third-longest river after the Vistula and Warta.

I just don't understand how some players can forget to phrase their response in the form of a question, even under the lights
The Oder is also Poland's most famous river when it comes to crossword puzzles.

The converse of Jeopardy players forgetting to phrase is contestants on other game shows phrasing their answers in the form of a question, which the producers of those other shows greatly dislike.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.