Thursday, March 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, March 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Got FJ but only had 90% certainty because I wasn't absolutely sure that Guatemala was farther north than Honduras. But went the right way.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Jelly Beans was a precall for the Presidential Sweets category, so of course I got the DD. 8-)
:) :) :) For DDs.
Was expecting something tricky for FJ such as West Africa or Pacific islands. The actual FJ was instaget for me. :mrgreen:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:41 pm
Was expecting something tricky for FJ such as West Africa or Pacific islands. The actual FJ was instaget for me. :mrgreen:
With a category of Western Hemisphere Geography, those would have been tricky indeed.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

While telling us about the Mexican-American war, my eighth-grade history teacher Mr. Zamastil explained that, were it not for worries over upsetting the delicate slave state-free state balance, the USA's southern border might today have been at Guatemala. I've kept it in my head it all these decades and at long last, perhaps this Saturday night, I'll reap the reward when I click the green smiley for tonight's game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:41 pm Jelly Beans was a precall for the Presidential Sweets category, so of course I got the DD. 8-)
:) :) :) For DDs.
When I saw this category name I precalled jellybeans for Reagan and Marilyn Monroe for JFK. Judges?

:lol:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MitchO wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 pm I had Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras. At least the one I got wrong borders the Peninsula.

Found Adam to be an enjoyable champ, but he doomed himself on that Reagan clue.
Same three I had. Thought about Belize and frankly just didn't know. Two of the three were guesses for me and one of the two was right. Sigh.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Thursday, March 26, Final Wagers

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
Golf wrote:
pdano wrote:
Golf wrote: J..... And Evan didn’t even try to win the game.
Looks like Evan assumed Susan would make the normal cover wager, which would have dropped her to 5199, and Evan left himself with 5201. That part of it makes sense - he was just thwarted by a lower-than-expected wager from Susan.
You have to factor Adam’s wager into the thought process as well.
Adam bet it all yesterday in a similar situation.
Up to the point where Susan was declared incorrect, I thought "Good for Evan, his strategy paid off". Susan's wager was a punch in the gut to him.
But yeah, Adam really should have wagered to just clear $13,000. Could he have been influenced by witnessing Michonne's underwagering in the previous taping?
Outside of not covereing Adam to double-up, Susan's wager had the advatage on Adam if he only bet 2,60*, in that she would beat him if both correct or both incorrect. We'll have to see what she does in the next game(s) but I have to wonder if she was purposely gambling on Adam to make the 2601 bet.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm
True North wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:06 pm Had MTA for Police Squad $800 — judges?
Nope. The MTA runs the buses and subway. They don't have a police unit (which is basically why Adam was negged. If he had just said the Transit Police, which is part of the NYPD, he'd have been fine.).
Actually the MTA does have a police force, but its jurisdiction is only the commuter railroads of Long Island, Metro-North, and Staten Island.
http://web.mta.info/mta/police/index.html
The Transit Bureau provides police for the NYC subway only.
I confess I wouldn't have been able to state any of this with certainty 20 minutes ago...To most New Yorkers it's just the Transit Police...

Let's just say, not my favorite FJ of the week... :roll:
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

My mnemonic for Central America: big gray elephants have never caught pneumonia.

Presidential Sweet had me pre-calling Reagan/jelly beans and nothing else.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think the contestant got screwed on Transit Bureau. That was being unnecessarily specific. The police unit for the Subways was part of the transit authority for over 40 years. I have seen all three of the Taking of Pelham One Two Three movies (and read the book) so I had no hesitation in saying Transit Authority police.

I said barbarians for the Daily Double. Judges?

I not only instagot Jelly beans for Reagan, I would have named the specific brand he favored, Jelly Bellies.

I knew two of the three were Mexico and Belize and had to decide between Guatemala and Honduras and went with Guatemala because I knew it jutted farther north.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

4/4 on big clues.

I think sheriff was neg-bait. A 7-letter word for someone in charge of public safety, like in the old west. At least it helped me learn the difference between Marshal and Marshall.
floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:33 pm I said barbarians for the Daily Double. Judges?
I don't think so. Barbarian can mean a person from the Barbary Coast but the clue wanted a specific group.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 am Young people. Adam did not know what went with Ronald Reagan in THE PRESIDENTIAL SWEET for DD1. :roll:
I said Jelly Bellies and counted it. Apparently licorice was his favorite. The monster.

Instafinal.

Ancient wonders and Central American countries. There's only seven of each and yet so so many stumpers...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I got FJ! correct today.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 pm 4/4 on big clues.

I think sheriff was neg-bait. A 7-letter word for someone in charge of public safety, like in the old west. At least it helped me learn the difference between Marshal and Marshall.
I said sheriff too, but I realized in retrospect that it's not like sheriffs are largely a thing of the past like marshals are.

Evan's wager was fine; he just got foiled by Susan's weird one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Susan must have had some killer buzzer mojo. Every time a clue that was a gimme for me, she took it. D.A.R.E., Margaret Mitchell, fruitcake, the Windy City... Maybe she just auto-clicked for the top row clues. It's funny she got the clue about the voice of Marge Simpson, her intonation is almost spot on, but at a higher pitch.

I'm glad Adam and perhaps younger people in general don't know about Ronald Reagan's stupid jellybean PR stunt. Enough Kool-Aid already :twisted: .
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 pm Yeah, I put U.S., Mexico, and Guatemala. TIL where the Yucatan Peninsula is. (I was obviously thinking of Baja California.)
+1. I've just treated Baja and Yucatan as almost interchangeable names for the same thing. And I even knew the chicxulub (dinosaur extinction event) crater was in the Yucatan Peninsula and seen many maps of it. But I just never reconciled the cognitive dissonance. I do want points for deciding Guatemala was the next country in order because Honduras just didn't seem right.
nserven wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm My mnemonic for Central America: big gray elephants have never caught pneumonia.
This is awesome. Hope I can pull it next time. Thanks!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex continues to mispronounce "Aldean" again. First syllable rhymes with "pal", not "all".

Ran Presidential Sweet and "OO", Sorry, and Looking for a Good Time.

Blanked on Ariana Grande's name for 4/5 in Lyrics. Also had "ahoy" for "avast" for a 4/5 in Interjection.

Police Squad was MASSIVE negbait for "sheriff". Anyone else join me and one of the contestants on that?

That was an extremely tough TV category. Julie Kavner was the only name I even recognized.

Yet AGAIN my brain is a complete blank when trying to name Central American countries. I had "What is Belize and uhhhhh...." WHY WHY WHY WHY CAN I NEVER REMEMBER THEM?!?!?!

Lach Trash: Taylor Swift, booster rocket.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Police Squad was MASSIVE negbait for "sheriff". Anyone else join me and one of the contestants on that?

Lach Trash: Taylor Swift, booster rocket.
Same here, although my dad knew that one.

I also got the Taylor Swift clue as well.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 pm Yeah, I put U.S., Mexico, and Guatemala. TIL where the Yucatan Peninsula is. (I was obviously thinking of Baja California.)
Same reasoning here, but I somehow had an even worse answer. I also mixed Yucatan up with Baja, so Mexico and US were put down...and, uh...okay, westernmost country...uh....well...maybe it juts way down or has some kind of associated island, and Colombia has control of it? I knew it was an insta-no-get for me, but I always force myself to write something - it's how I got Lazarus earlier this week. (This week? Last week? Time has lost all meaning for me.)

Numinism for numismatics? I guess I'm gonna neg myself, since I can't find it in the dictionary. But I came close...yet another word I invented.

Figured out the "pirates" part for the "Barbary pirates" clue, but didn't pull the trigger, and glad I didn't. Definitely a BMS, definitely a NHO.

Nuclear fission for "nuclear chain reaction"? Again, I'm leaning towards "OO, SORRY", or perhaps a BMS where I give Alex a confused look. The chain reaction does involve fission, but I think the whole point of the clue was to get to the "chain reaction" part.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:44 pm Nuclear fission for "nuclear chain reaction"? Again, I'm leaning towards "OO, SORRY", or perhaps a BMS where I give Alex a confused look. The chain reaction does involve fission, but I think the whole point of the clue was to get to the "chain reaction" part.
Fission can occur without the chain reaction, so I'd say no.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 pm
pdano wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 am J..... And Evan didn’t even try to win the game.
Looks like Evan assumed Susan would make the normal cover wager, which would have dropped her to 5199, and Evan left himself with 5201. That part of it makes sense - he was just thwarted by a lower-than-expected wager from Susan.
You have to factor Adam’s wager into the thought process as well.
For what it's worth: I'm much more likely to listen to someone who has a ToC victory under his belt when it comes to wagering strategy.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan