Tuesday, March 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cheezguyty »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 pm I gave myself a BMS/credit for "St. Charles" instead of "St. Charles Place", because I would have gotten there.
"Place" was given in the clue.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 pm US State + named after an English county = only one choice as far as I know.

Pretty straightforward once you ignore the coastline part of the clue.
For me, the coastline part was the key. It might as well have just said, "This state has an 18-mile coastline." But that's what made it a good clue... multiple paths to the solve.
Same here. Realizing there's an English County called Hampshire was just the icing on top.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:29 pm Also NHO "two shakes of a lamb's tail".
I hadn't heard of that expression either, but my wife got it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm I don't think they sell Dove chocolate bars in Canada. If they do, I've never seen them before.
They are chocolate-covered ice cream bars.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
mas3cf wrote:
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: US State + named after an English county = only one choice as far as I know.

Pretty straightforward once you ignore the coastline part of the clue.
For me, the coastline part was the key. It might as well have just said, "This state has an 18-mile coastline." But that's what made it a good clue... multiple paths to the solve.
Same here. Realizing there's an English County called Hampshire was just the icing on top.
Yes indeedy. I've driven that stretch of I-95 between Mass and Maine enough times, so that's how I got it.

Surprised that so many here did not get the Coit Tower/San Fransisco clue. Fans of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry movies would remember it from the film: The Enforcer.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:03 am
bluejaylink wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm I don't think they sell Dove chocolate bars in Canada. If they do, I've never seen them before.
They are chocolate-covered ice cream bars.
They make chocolate candy and candy bars as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_(chocolate)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

All three contestants got the trap door as they each took a guess at completeing George Harrison's song title.

All trough the clue, I Me Mine, I Me Mine, I Me Mine...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,600
50 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: mine, The Grand Ole Opry, Sears (DD), San Francisco, extradition warrant, Radical Republicans (DD)

Well, it didn't work out for Kyle, but at least he had the wherewithal to make the right move. And he'll forever be a J! champion, which is pretty darn cool.

Chalk me up as another one who got FJ! from the "state with a tiny amount of coastline" TOM.

A clue about a playwright featuring the word "menagerie," and the correct response isn't Tennessee Williams? That's some negbait right there.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:48 pm I finally got Stockholm/Oslo fixed in my head for the non-peace version of the Nobel prize. I only know Oslo because my favorite cheesy band is from Norway, and has played there for the Peace Prize ceremony. The first words to their biggest hit happen to be my screen name...
They are also my niece's favorite band. She and her parents are planning to fly down from Washington state to LA in September to see them. One can only hope that by then life is back to a level of normalcy that will allow for such frivolity.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Call letters was a dream category for me, at least for TV stations. There are probably very few people in the country that know more TV call letters than me. I know the major radio ones, but there are just too many of those to know a good portion of them.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

First person singular pronouns and we get we and us??? Really? Impressive Coryat by Leanne. FJ took me back to a bike trip I made from CT to ME on US 1. That stretch in NH was memorable for how short it was.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Had Delaware for FJ. If one does not consider the coast along Delaware Bay as "ocean" then it is not too far off the mark (apart from not matching an English county). NH was obvious in hindsight.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:43 am
REMEMBER JAMES GARFIELD had me ready with Charles Guiteau five times and not to be as the clues went other places.
No kidding. Me too.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Woof wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 am First person singular pronouns and we get we and us??? Really? Impressive Coryat by Leanne. FJ took me back to a bike trip I made from CT to ME on US 1. That stretch in NH was memorable for how short it was.
In a 15 second per clue online test, yeah, that's kind of unforgivable to ignore the "singular" part. In a clue that has the potential to be a buzzer race because it's top row, you might fixate on any first person pronoun (ignoring the word "singular") that sounds like it might make a good song title - "I, me...us" or "I, me...we" sounds like it could be a trippy 70s song.

I came up with "myself", matching a neg, and rung in - fits every part of the clue but the song, and the song is a NHO for me. And, no, it's not because I eschew all pop cultural history - a big artist like the Beatles, with hits like "Let It Be", "Ob La Dee, Ob La Da (Life Goes On)", "Yesterday", "Hard Day's Night", "Hey Jude", "Come Together", "Yellow Submarine", "Something In The Way She Moves", "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", surely deserves a lot clues. In fact, just recently I was thinking that they don't do too many Beatles clues.

But if I can name ten Beatles songs off the top of my head that are arguably more famous than the song in a clue...either it probably shouldn't be a top row clue, or the Beatles really are bigger than Jesus. (Both can be true.)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:45 am Call letters was a dream category for me, at least for TV stations. There are probably very few people in the country that know more TV call letters than me. I know the major radio ones, but there are just too many of those to know a good portion of them.
In my History of Broadcasting class in college, the professor had us write down as many TV and radio call letters as we could think of in 5 minutes. I don't think he was expecting two TV Guide collectors in the class. Both I and my counterpart got gift certificates to a frozen yogurt place.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Baseball Lingo $1000 and Missing Pieces $2000. I play lots of games, Monopoly not one of them.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mine, Edward Albee, Grand Ole Opry, (Sears), San Francisco, Extradition, Georgia, (Radical Republicans)
Douglas Squasoni
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I had a hard time parsing FJ: unclear whether the 18 miles was named, or if the state was named. I started trying to come up with names of coastlines, not names of states, and couldn’t get unstuck. Not one of the writers’ better outings IMHO.